IGNORED

Ableton Live 8.4 Beta Introduces Native 64-bit Support

goffer

Just configure a RAIC (redundant array of independent computers) with PHM (parallel host multiplier) between two of your 32 bit systems and you are golden.

Just installed this... I guess a 64bit install only supports 64bit plugins :cerious:

I see no reason to upgrade now. Go Ableton

I came into this thread expecting natives in Nintendo64 style graphics.

#disappointed

No you didn't...

Guest 82DMC12
Just installed this... I guess a 64bit install only supports 64bit plugins :cerious:

Get jbridge. It works for me but curiously a couple of free plugins I have showed odd behavior while bridged. Hopefully when the actual version comes out it will have native support.

Buzz now has 64-bit support (with a 32bit bridge for back compatibility) and I honestly can't notice any difference. The 32->64 bit leap is probably not the incredible jump in performance that you're probably thinking, it's only really of any benefit for dealing with large memory usage VSTis (such as multi-gig 'orchestral' plugins) and even then you'd have to wait for 64bit specific versions to reap your reward.

Guest ryanmcallister

Ya everyone thinks going 64-bit in 2012 is gonna be this big revolutionary thing... lol.

Sure, there will definitely be improvements, especially for people on higher end systems, but what this really does is pave the road for future years to come. going 64-bit was a major code rewrite, one that becomes more necessary the more powerful computers become. for anyone that doesn't know, 64-bit allows you to access up to 16 exabytes of RAM. let's do some math:

1 exabyte = 1,000,000,000 gigabytes

so while you may be creaming your panties over the leap right now from 4gb of ram to say 16gb, imagine the difference between a 32-bit Ableton Live utilizing 4gb of ram and a 64-bit version utilizing 16,000,000,000gb? this seems ridiculous to think about right now, but we will get there eventually, and going 64-bit is Ableton's way of future proofing themselves in a way so many other software companies have already.

Archived