IGNORED

New Technology

syd syside

Maybe there is a thread on this? But post videos or article about the latest and most innovative technology developments.

Here is something on Augmented Reality (I would mute the audio),

Technophile shut-ins, rejoice. The era of shimmery, for-your-eyes-only virtual girlfriends has arrived, says this video, uploaded to You Tube by user Alsionesvx. The film showcases an augmented reality system that allows users to project the pixilated Japanese pop star Hatsune Miku into their day-to-day lives. Using video goggles and an Xtion Pro motion sensor, Alsionesvx can take Hatsune, a wide-eyed, pigtail-wearing wraith who, significantly, has no mouth (and somewhat less significantly, has no nose), to the park. It’s sort of romantic. Then he, um, plunks her in his kitchen and paws at her tie: less romantic.

The worst part, though, is when the filmmaker demonstrates Hatsune’s ability to respond to touch. Almost two minutes into the video, we’re treated to the sight of a man’s disembodied arm patting the aqua-haired apparition on the head. She closes her eyes and raises her palms in what’s supposed to be either pleasure or a cute “I surrender” gesture. But then the guy lifts his hand and whales on her. She cringes, covers her face, knits her eyebrows together in distress. The screen fades to black. Gee whiz, computers can do amazing things these days!

Putting aside the video’s oblivious reenactment of domestic violence (a topic for another post), it’s worth noting that the phenomenon of virtual lady-friends is gathering steam in Japan and Korea. To some, few things may seem as sad-sack as opting for a computerized SO. One XX Factor colleague describes it as “social surrender,” technology telegraphing failure in the real world dating scene. And that could be why digital companions like Hatsune—silent, passive creatures that follow you around and make timid fluttery signs when you beat them—play on fantasies of absolute power and control. What else do they have to offer? Not conversation, and not social capital, real or imagined: After all, they’re only visible to the person with the goggles. You can’t feel them, though they respond to your touch. And if there’s a kind of titillation in walking down the street beside a beautiful woman that no one else knows is there, surely it has as much to do with the thrill of possession as it does with pure delight at her presence.

Anyway, I wonder whether a simple semantic adjustment would help dispel the ickiness of this trend. Instead of calling Hatsune Miku an augmented reality “girlfriend,” let’s call her what she is: a toy. Men who download or buy her or whatever are not participating in relationships, which involve two people, but playing with toys, like Legos or Barbies. You can pummel a teddy bear, if you wish; you cannot bop a woman on the head. Unfortunately, I suspect it’s the consumer’s inability to distinguish between love and ownership that makes Hatsune and her ilk so popular.

http://www.slate.com...nd_people_.html

tumblr_lhjjggWcc61qe2zhmo1_500.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frankie5fingers

seriously, i don't know if i should be like "WOW, thats so cool!" or "WOW, those japs just can't stop making weird fetish shit."

i can see it now, you wip out your dick and this thing will go to town on it.

hmm, i guess i do know how i should respond. lol

Let your pointless preconceptions go. It's not creepy. And augmented reality is coming whether you like it or not.

Imagine (if you can) what it could be used for. I have long dreamed of walking down an ordinary city street accompanied by my familiar, a virtual helper that i and others can see striding besides me. I can ask it questions about things in a more sophisticated and natural way than today's search tools and it would answer my queries. It could be my diary, my assistant, my firewall and more. All in the shape of anything, say a floating cat made out of mist, swooping and swirling through the air about me. Joyously weaving around objects like the light poles we pass and or getting frightened by the barking of a dog emblazoned on virtual sign outside a pet store.

Then i turn a corner onto a busier road, and find it crammed with people and their familiars. Some with hulking iridescent dragons by their side, others walking with miniature ponies or men in armour or even things like rainbows swirling around their bodies, a multitude from the fascinating to the mundane.

Creepy my arse!!

Guest Frankie5fingers

Let your pointless preconceptions go. It's not creepy. And augmented reality is coming whether you like it or not.

Imagine (if you can) what it could be used for. I have long dreamed of walking down an ordinary city street accompanied by my familiar, a virtual helper that i and others can see striding besides me. I can ask it questions about things in a more sophisticated and natural way than today's search tools and it would answer my queries. It could be my diary, my assistant, my firewall and more. All in the shape of anything, say a floating cat made out of mist, swooping and swirling through the air about me. Joyously weaving around objects like the light poles we pass and or getting frightened by the barking of a dog emblazoned on virtual sign outside a pet store.

Then i turn a corner onto a busier road, and find it crammed with people and their familiars. Some with hulking iridescent dragons by their side, others walking with miniature ponies or men in armour or even things like rainbows swirling around their bodies, a multitude from the fascinating to the mundane.

Creepy my arse!!

well, if you wanna talk to something that ISN'T THERE then be my guess. ill stick to human beings for that. no matter how fucking stupid some of them are..........actually..................i changed my mind. im so getting this thing.

Guest disparaissant

look thats cool and all delet but a mouthless animu with a come hither look and head-tentacles is not doin it for me

seriously, i don't know if i should be like "WOW, thats so cool!" or "WOW, those japs just can't stop making weird fetish shit."

おい、そういう悪口をするな :sad:

Guest Frankie5fingers

おい、そういう悪口をするな :sad:

ので、

look thats cool and all delet but a mouthless animu with a come hither look and head-tentacles is not doin it for me

You would prefer a soccer ball with hair and nose picking tentacles ?

heh

Guest Gary C

I wonder if we'll even bother inventing sophisticated androids when we get to the level of having virtual-robots in everyday life.

Guest Frankie5fingers

of course we will. virtual robots can't do our physical work for us. and the overly lethargic society that we live in demands some machine to do work for us.

There's a world of difference between what you describe and the video in the OP though delet...

The video in the OP is just a cute anime character. And what annoyed me is that something so innocuous can engender overtures of moral outrage. What is implied in these people's minds i can't fathom, I think it's just some herd related groupthink about anything anime, that infests certain individual's minds.

-sigh-

So where i see nothing, they see a multiheaded hydra. Where i see a woman living on her own into herbology, they call out a witch. You see where i'm going with this? People casting aspersions based on their own flawed understanding of the world. So ironically (for this thread) they already live in their own augmented reality.

I wonder if we'll even bother inventing sophisticated androids when we get to the level of having virtual-robots in everyday life.

We need the androids to do the manual labour for us. Whatever that be. (heh (ie housework))

Guest Frankie5fingers

There's a world of difference between what you describe and the video in the OP though delet...

The video in the OP is just a cute anime character. And what annoyed me is that something so innocuous can engender overtures of moral outrage. What is implied in these people's minds i can't fathom, I think it's just some herd related groupthink about anything anime, that infests certain individual's minds.

-sigh-

So where i see nothing, they see a multiheaded hydra. Where i see a woman living on her own into herbology, they call out a witch. You see where i'm going with this? People casting aspersions based on their own flawed understanding of the world. So ironically (for this thread) they already live in their own augmented reality.

wow, so youre a mind reader? who knew. oh wait that wasn't at all what was going through my mind. im actually a fan of anime. its as a legitimate form of entertainment as anything else. and i do find this to be very cool. i was simply picking out the one stupid use this thing would eventually be used for. cause no doubt someone will do it. but the possibilities of this thing is actually very interesting. in fact i think it would be very cool if we lived in a world like Ghost in the Shell (an anime by the way). where this technology is kinda the first steps of that being achieved.

you really should lighten up and enjoy the jokes. it makes living more enjoyable. :emotawesomepm9:

I was replying to disparaissant, that's why i quoted her 'creepy' in my post that led to all this. I din even bother with your post, were you annoyed by anime characters as well? sorry. heh.

Guest Frankie5fingers

I was replying to disparaissant, that's why i quoted her 'creepy' in my post that led to all this. I din even bother with your post, were you annoyed by anime characters as well? sorry. heh.

oh. lol. man, sorry then. i thought you were really just bashing all of us. i guess i misunderstood what you wrote. lol

-sigh-

Being marketed as an augmented reality girlfriend.

Not to pull a StephenG, but shall I give you some of the readings from my manga/anime studies class? (easiest lit credits ever)

-sigh-

Not to pull a StephenG, but shall I give you some of the readings from my manga/anime studies class? (easiest lit credits ever)

Lol

I could do it for you by quoting wikipedia and trying to pass it off as fact :wink::beer:

Guest disparaissant

You would prefer a soccer ball with hair and nose picking tentacles ?

heh

i will not have you speaking ill of marceline you bastard

-sigh-

Lol

I could do it for you by quoting wikipedia and trying to pass it off as fact :wink::beer:

Except: a) I was right + b) I'm not asking for a definition + c) you live in calgary + d) i'm from edmonton = I win.

:beer:

And this virtual girlfriend thing is still creepy.

delet's personal assistant is not creepy, because one is not trying to nut all over it's virtual face

So if we were to give in and look at your way. An evolved masturbation aid is creepy now is it? Single and even partnered, males and females the world over are aghast at the notion. Now i know that watmm is pronless now, but i didn't think that with it's passing, so would go your sympathy for the subject entirely!!

Bunch of fucking PC nutbags. heh, society is safe in your disapproving hands.

[dleetr - ever unrepentant.

Archived