IGNORED

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'ALLELUJAH! DON'T BEND! ASCEND!

zlemflolia

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest umop_apisdn

Well, I wasn't exactly looking forward to drone tracks. Mladic is my favorite track from this release. I'll probably get ripped for saying it, but Mladic structurally sounds a lot like Mogwai's Batcat.

Overall, I was hoping for more epic storytelling 20+ minute tracks like the good old ones. I still enjoy it, though. I hope they put together another album sometime soon.

Mladic (as "Albanian") predates that Mogwai track by 5 years or so

Yea, I'm aware of that, I was just stating the overall structural similarity between the tracks, at least in my ears.

Guest Ron Manager

Mladic is the clear stand-out for me. It's fucking epic. One of GY!BE's best songs IMO, but then again I've been listening to live versions for years... for that reason this doesn't feel like a new album, but I'm nevertheless so pleased to finally have studio cuts of Albanian and Gamelan.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AcrossCanyons

Well, I wasn't exactly looking forward to drone tracks. Mladic is my favorite track from this release. I'll probably get ripped for saying it, but Mladic structurally sounds a lot like Mogwai's Batcat.

I get a Mogwai vibe from the track too, a huge one at that.

The release is great but not pushing the level of the older material. Got the record too, packaging is quite nice but nothing spectacular. Overall an incredibly solid release but not quite what I would expect from them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

love batcat. don't see the comparison as no strings on batcat and batcat is short

got this in album the post ages ago. was saving it. finally heard it loud on saturday. enjoyed but not blown away. i am definitely more of a silver mt zion fan these days. they can do these big builds and moments but they can also have beautiful piano songs. i didnt need anymore gybe but am grateful for it.

on my 2nd listen right now. wondering if this was recorded way back and sat upon like a retirement fund.

love batcat. don't see the comparison as no strings on batcat and batcat is short

got this in album the post ages ago. was saving it. finally heard it loud on saturday. enjoyed but not blown away. i am definitely more of a silver mt zion fan these days. they can do these big builds and moments but they can also have beautiful piano songs. i didnt need anymore gybe but am grateful for it.

on my 2nd listen right now. wondering if this was recorded way back and sat upon like a retirement fund.

that was my impression

Loving this, particularly Mladic: proper epic stuff. Agree that it's a big improvement on Yanqui, which underwhelmed me no end (but probably deserves investigating again).

The first track of theirs I ever hear was Dead Flag Blues on a Kranky compilation & it's still my favourite

• 6 months later...

Archived