IGNORED

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'ALLELUJAH! DON'T BEND! ASCEND!

zlemflolia

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ron Manager

What's with the Albini hate? Also I never actually knew he was involved with Yanqui but I still think it's a great album...

What's with the Albini hate? Also I never actually knew he was involved with Yanqui but I still think it's a great album...

I like the tracks a lot but the whole vibe of the album just feels a bit submerged and underwhelming. I don't completely blame Albini, he's been in two of my favourite bands (Big Black and Shellac) and produced several of my favourite albums, but IMO Yanqui is quite inferior to their other stuff. It also felt like they didn't 'need' Albini for Yanqui, and so it was a weird choice.

I like the tracks a lot but the whole vibe of the album just feels a bit submerged and underwhelming.

I agree. The sound is somehow weak. Which is a downfall since the scenery they are building within the soundscapes is pretty overwhelming, with the bombers cutting through the air and the bombs falling from the sky. I miss the clarity and largeness of the sound on Yanqui.

I like the tracks a lot but the whole vibe of the album just feels a bit submerged and underwhelming. I don't completely blame Albini, he's been in two of my favourite bands (Big Black and Shellac) and produced several of my favourite albums, but IMO Yanqui is quite inferior to their other stuff. It also felt like they didn't 'need' Albini for Yanqui, and so it was a weird choice.

exactly

man i forgot how much i enjoyed f#a#

well for me this is an epic album, really epic. I'd admit that I don't know all their back catalogue and some of it I don't really get on with but f#a# always just blows me away. I play it a few times each year and it's always an event. I may even skip a few years before putting it on but its always memorable when I do.

It's a great cycling album in winter when a big low comes in from the Atlantic but it's not pissing down,That's when I usually play it.

Yup

PRINTEMPS ERABLE

...erm.

yeah, well all of these carrés rouges/plan nord/loi 78/printemps érable does fit with their general opinions and statements. they always went a bit too far with all of this (read: yanqui's back cover, as an example) if you ask me. without wanting to talk about all of this too much, it made me smile actually to see the printemps érable references...

I'd admit that I don't know all their back catalogue and some of it I don't really get on with but f#a# always just blows me away.

It's not really that vast, not counting the uber rare releases you only have: F#, A# infinity; Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada E.P.; Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven (my personal favourite) and Yanqui U.X.O

Guest Ron Manager

Maybe wait until it comes back in stock at Constellation and order directly? I'm sure it was cheaper than that there...

So what does everyone think - I definitely preferred the second half to the first, though at the moment nothing has really stuck in my mind as being a standout moment. Certainly not terrible but the sounds production is a little muddier than I would've liked (I got the Cd version), its quite mid-range heavy - and the opener is a little bit too 'metal' for my tastes.

Certainly not bad, but it hasn't provided me with the same exhilaration as I had with their previous releases - possibly me just getting old and jaded. Probably just needs more listens for me to fully take it all in.

Guest umop_apisdn

Well, I wasn't exactly looking forward to drone tracks. Mladic is my favorite track from this release. I'll probably get ripped for saying it, but Mladic structurally sounds a lot like Mogwai's Batcat.

Overall, I was hoping for more epic storytelling 20+ minute tracks like the good old ones. I still enjoy it, though. I hope they put together another album sometime soon.

Well, I wasn't exactly looking forward to drone tracks. Mladic is my favorite track from this release. I'll probably get ripped for saying it, but Mladic structurally sounds a lot like Mogwai's Batcat.

Overall, I was hoping for more epic storytelling 20+ minute tracks like the good old ones. I still enjoy it, though. I hope they put together another album sometime soon.

Mladic (as "Albanian") predates that Mogwai track by 5 years or so

Archived