IGNORED

how long will a service be good for an analog synth?

zleep

I just found a prophet 600 for sale locally, the owner told me he sent it for service two years ago, the synth is in excellent condition now, stay in tune, but I want to know how soon do I need another service if I bought it, and how much this kind of service can be?

I am sure it will be different for each unit depends on the conidtion and usage, but I am wondering typically how long will this kind of service be good for? Will the synth be still in serviced condition if I keep it off all the time? I am completely new to vintage analog synth....so, can anyone share their experience?

In the UK analogue synths must have a valid MoS (Ministry of Sound) test done once every two years, similar to the MoT (Ministry of Transport) that vehicles must undergo, so actually BCM a car is not a bad analogy. Similarly you won't get insurance for your synth without a valid MoS certificate. It costs about £60 per synth. Most UK music stores will be able to do one for you, but some mobile DJs also have a license and carry out the service and will usually be happy to spin a few tunes for you at the same time. Incidentally this is the origin of the club and record label Ministry of Sound.

MoS licensing also played a significant role in early Acid House. Before performing in the UK with analogue synths you'll usually be asked to show your MoS certificate. Back in the 80s there was confusion over whether the TB303 was a 'synth' or an auto accompaniment box, and whether it needed an MoS, which at the time was very expensive This was one of the factors that led to the rise of unlicensed and impromptu raves and parties. The matter wasn't resolved until 1991 when there was actually a High Court case, and the 303 was declared a synth. KLF were called as witnesses, and there was a famous interchange between Lord Justice Taylor, who was 83, and Bill Drummond as he recreated Box Energy by DJ Pierre on a 303 and 808.

In short, the UK government reckons once every two years.

Capacitors and batteries will inevitably start to leak after a few years to a few decades (usually closer to the latter), regardless of the product using them. Welcome to the real world, where everything is fleeting.

yep, batteries leaking is a major problem. it doesn't happen on all synths, though, inevitably. some synths are more prone to it and fucking up in general than others.

I'm all about deferred maintenance on synths. How long can I go without removing the black goop inside my MG-1? I don't want to think about it.

That being said, after finding a good tech, it has felt like money well spent each time I've brought in a synth. Peace of mind.

new question guys, I find another one for sale, but it was serviced (a chip was replaced) in August, they are at pretty much the same price. For the first one, owner said no part, chip replacement. Which one is better?

IMHO, chip replacement will probably give it a longer life and avoid the same kind of problem, am I right?

Well..........I just figured out that changing a chip is so easy and the chip looks not that expensive and scarce as I expected, so no worries any more!

real world analog is fun, I am gonna buy all of these chips, LED ligths ... and as analog synth price goes up, I will be a millionare in 10 years by selling to UK, people there needs certificate! :cisfor:

Archived