IGNORED

XRALT TRAX

Cryptowen

so basically i've got this new multimedia project going on which so far looks mostly identical to my previous visual/auditory/text efforts but longterm I envision it being an experiment in documenting the effects of sleep deprivation, fasting, & mind altering substances on the creative process (and in general trying new things)

anyways audio stuff gon go in this thread, everything else will be posted in the art thread in GD. Here's an improvised EP I recorded today on a Korg DSS-1. It's pretty far removed from my last album, I'd say (but I'm happy with the results)

http://soundcloud.com/xralt/alpine-region-xralt-03-b

http://soundcloud.com/xralt/aerosol-xralt-03-f

http://soundcloud.com/xralt/cirriform-xralt-03-h

http://soundcloud.com/xralt/pendant-echo-xralt-03-l

http://soundcloud.com/xralt/polar-vortex-xralt-03-n

(the letters indicate material that was recorded but not uploaded)

lack of sleep is destructive to just about everything mentally related. i can say this from personal experience. earlier this year and late last i probably had racked up about 2 solid months of sleep debt. i have been going to bed early for the past year and am only starting to feel normal again (and just barely) now. as counterintuitive as this sounds, it feels as if ive been asleep the entire time and just woke up from a year and a half nap, as a result of not sleeping.

still have touble disciplining myself to sleep when i should.

actually it was more like a 3-4 year nap

Yeah, I wanna be careful with it, but I still think it has potential because back a few years ago I tried polyphasic sleep for a while & I felt mad creative during that time

basically I'd only do something extreme like that once every few weeks or so & then make sure I get extra sleep after

Guest Frankie5fingers

these sound amazing. i really like the second one cause it reminds me of music in a game i played as a kid. seems like a really cool project, good luck with it! :)

my sleep deprivation was a result of the weird hours i work (6 am - 2pm), and Im the type that needs at least 7/8 hours, so that means i should be asleep by 8 to wake up by 4:30 or so. it almost never happens. i usually fall asleep around 10:00 so its like every night i accumulate 2 more hours of sleep debt. i also live in an apartment and and subjected to neighbors and all that crap. i never once felt that my creativity increased as a result of less sleep, to me that sounds ludicrous.

also 2 or 3 nights in the past couple years where i was a dumbass and did coke all night and never even slept

i never once felt that my creativity increased as a result of less sleep, to me that sounds ludicrous.

basically the way it went was

first few days - "omg this is amazing! 22 hour days, I have so much time! I can do anything!"

next few days - "i am living in a constant day! i see things no one else can! i am god!"

next next few days - "holy hell this is awful, i'm dying. I need to keep making tracks or else i'll go insane"

and then i went insane

but generally I'm really good with sleep. can get to it in minutes regardless of conditions (one time I slept on a dirt road in a rain storm with no cover), can wake up refreshed after 5 hours, & if I feel like I need a little more I make that priority one on my schedule. Still tho, gots to be careful with this game

and thanks for the kind words f5f!

these tracks could use some beats, not big ass skrillex bro beats but maybe some distant hit hats or low pass drums

was my thinking i bit, particularly that i should revisit this sound once i've got enough of a handle on this gigantic-arse sampling keyboard (seriously, it weighs like 40 pounds) to lay down a full kit on it

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Really digging these tracks so far, really unique atmosphere about them. Also getting similar vibes as Frankie5Fingers, this does in a lot of places very much sound like cinematic video game music. For some reason I can't get Shadow Of The Beast out of my head when I'm listening to them, although the music isn't all that similar..

Either way loving this collection of tracks so far!

• 4 weeks later...

So the OP tracks sound very nice, like they would be at home on SAW II even. I did notice the sounds clipping a tad here and there (specifically the 5th piece) which is a typical problem when you hang out in the high end as much as you do. Could be my speakers though, I know they are pretty crappy so if you can't hear it then disregard this. Otherwise very nice stuff.

As far as the track you just posted, that one is delicious indeed. Really like the style. I'm thinking you should do something to the first bunch of tracks that uses a similar pace and beat to this recent jam. It really reminds me of this (and probably other) loscil tracks:

EDIT: Embedded vid not working: youtube.com/watch?v=wAUedERSoSE

Archived