IGNORED

Swmpmnstr

thehauntingsoul

Hey, just churned this little diddly out over the last few days. I'm looking for some advice on where to touch up on the mix though. I feel like it gets a bit crowded at times, but at the same time I was sorta trying to get crowded a bit. Anyone got any ideas on how to sharpen this up a little bit? Cheers! :beer:

https://soundcloud.com/ths/swmpmnstr

Make the drums way louder. Sidechain stuff to the bds and the drums. Read the threads in WATMM or the internet about EQing and stuff. It's almost unlistenable this way.

Ok, so I looked into side chaining and proper EQ methods and have come up with this. Am I doing this properly? It sounds much better to me but I'm probably not there yet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3372365/The%20Swamp_mstr.mp3

Second version does sound better. Kick is mayyyyybe a little low in the mix (not really a huge issue tho).

The real thing that's throwing me with this track is that there's this big in your face slapback reverb on everything but the track feels oddly dry. I think it'd be worthwhile to experiment with taking the current reverb off some things (I think it works on the snare), & applying something softer in its place. Not too loud, just enough for some roomy background ambiance.

other than that track's p.good. Has a groove to it & some weird sounds in there. Maybe a bit too long? Iunno, hard to predict how the flow will feel when/if it's touched up anymore sonically.

I love the sound of the abrasive bassy synth that highlights the off notes. Nice drum pattern, to my ears it seems there may be too much reverb on them I love the squigglies you textured in and the changeup of rythm the second half. I couple of the instruments seem to get loud at the end, but that may be what you intended. Overall it sounds very original. Great work!

Thanks for the feedback folks! I was thinking it's a bit long myself today. Might do something with that noodly modulation section at the end, seems to last too long. I'll probably either cut it a bit short or switch it up a tad at the end. The reverb might be a tad much although I couldn't strip that main bass of it because that's what gives it the texture, and that snare was built for the reverb also but I could probably skin the reverb off of everything else or risk sounding like it was mixed in a giant metal drum.

Thanks again for the kind words though!

At the second half it starts to get quite nice, you definitely should do something with that. But you have to work on the mix. I'm not an expert when it comes to that sort of thing so I'll just agree with what's been said.

Archived