IGNORED

rat brain robot

Guest yikes

That's pretty cool. I know the idea's been around for a while, but I didn't think it would already be a reality.

Better to cultivate brains from stem cells though. A transplant from an unwilling host would be a concern.

Guest yikes

dude..video is 2008...and was posted here in 2008 I'm pretty sure, lol. At least I remember it.

GOOD THING WE GOT YOU ON THE PAYROLL "LOL" .......MOUSEY....THIS WAY WE ARE INFORMED OF ALL POSTS FROM 5 YEARS AGO.

COCK/VER10

I'm not really following how the input is connected to this weird soup of rat neurons. How do they know how to translate the electrical signals into intelligible rat brain-ese, and vice versa? The only thing I gathered was that certain neurons strengthened at a particular recurrence of signals, but I cannot for the life of me understand how this results into better driving behavior, which to me seems to be a capacity to make a judgment. If it can navigate obstacles, does the soup qualify as being conscious?

And at what point can we get it to communicate a message, which in all likelihood will be "KILL ME"?

Guest drukqs

I'm not really following how the input is connected to this weird soup of rat neurons. How do they know how to translate the electrical signals into intelligible rat brain-ese, and vice versa? The only thing I gathered was that certain neurons strengthened at a particular recurrence of signals, but I cannot for the life of me understand how this results into better driving behavior, which to me seems to be a capacity to make a judgment. If it can navigate obstacles, does the soup qualify as being conscious?

And at what point can we get it to communicate a message, which in all likelihood will be "KILL ME"?

I've been thinking the same thing. Without any reference points, what the hell do its behaviors even mean? Does it even know that its moving through space just a camera transmitting vague electric symbols?? Its such a strange idea, I can't really wrap my head around it without more information.

Maybe the neurons got trained or manipulated to somehow look for light? Like a slime mold looking for food and maintaining pathways to a food source? It's hardly consciousness but then again where does consciousness start? Is an insect conscious? I guess it just starts when 2 neurons start communicating and the thought processes get more abstract and lucid as the brain becomes larger and more complex.

Maybe the neurons got trained or manipulated to somehow look for light? Like a slime mold looking for food and maintaining pathways to a food source? It's hardly consciousness but then again where does consciousness start? Is an insect conscious? I guess it just starts when 2 neurons start communicating and the thought processes get more abstract and lucid as the brain becomes larger and more complex.

I thought self-consciousness and consciousness were different definitions, the latter only requires awareness of the external world. Do we need thoughts for awareness? It's such a difficult question because there's no definition of intelligence or consciousness that we can make that doesn't include these basic organisms like slime molds.

Archived