IGNORED

Russell Brand destroys MSNBC host

soundwave

so you're saying that brand has a point because of other information/philosophies which aren't presented in this interview? or because i'm not listening to brand and that he does have a point?

just out of curiosity, regardless of you point of views and where you stand in the political side of the argument: to which question do you think brand had an actual answer?

and what was your answer again about where brand was in full control?

that the video is viral, doesn't imply that he had a point or was even in control of the interview.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell did I miss that video posted by the OP? I now have a new-found appreciation of Russell Brand.

I could have sworn a couple of the MSNBC staff in the computer area walked out after he commented on their rampant Twittering.

also: to what extent does "politics" operate a society? politics is the process with which laws are made. laws don't operate a society? society operates largely outside of politics!? how would this information/philosophies propose laws should be made?

I always thought Paxman's style was to play Devil's Advocate. Seemed to me that he was just baiting in order to elicit fiery answers. Does anyone really think he believes that because you don't vote you are not entitled to comment on politics?

*shrugs*

nah.

i thought it was exactly as you say: paxman testing brand to see whether he was actually going to take some point on some issue. instead brand went all over the place. i mean, he was very deep and philosophical...and mystic and spiritual. exactly like politics should be.

just out of curiosity, regardless of you point of views and where you stand in the political side of the argument: to which question do you think brand had an actual answer?

To the question of what an alternative be like and how it would happen, his point was that change wouldn't happen through elections. Choosing between the lesser of two evils is basically futile and instead there would be an inevitable revolution. We would have to move to model where large profit is to be avoided, as it clearly creates deficits elsewhere. Economic wealth only means anything in relation to poverty and is driven by short sighted gains, particularly demonstrated in way we treat the environment.

Government employees would be required but merely in the capacity of administrators. Idealistic broad strokes but there you have it.

Yeah, and paxman rightfully interpreted that as brand going for "revolution". Only what the world would look like and how it would be governed after that revolution was left out of brands equation. Apart from "no inequality. no destruction of environment. no .... ".

That's not an answer. That's dreaming. Anyone who's 4 years old and older wants world peace and what not.

Brand has a dream, but he hasn't got a clue. Which is fine and all, right up to the point of him getting cynical about everything which he thinks stands between the current world and future world peace and happiness, namely politics/ the system. His only solution: stop voting and go for revolution! Sure, and I'm missing information and philosophies...

I wish him and and all the people thinking like him good luck. Seriously. I mean well for all of you. I just disagree with your point of views. That's all.

Those are some fair points goDel.

We mostly agree that his points are bullshit, but why has the video gone viral? Is it because people love Russell Brand? Love a rebel? It's just so pisspoor.

Celeb culture is truly fascinating.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Brand has a dream, but he hasn't got a clue. Which is fine and all, right up to the point of him getting cynical about everything which he thinks stands between the current world and future world peace and happiness, namely politics/ the system. His only solution: stop voting and go for revolution! Sure, and I'm missing information and philosophies...

I wish him and and all the people thinking like him good luck. Seriously. I mean well for all of you. I just disagree with your point of views. That's all.

What would you suggest instead of a revolution?

What would you suggest instead of a revolution?

How about people actually taking part in politics if they don't like where things are going? (see those T-party nutcases. they were pretty close to a complete meltdown of the us. that's how much power a couple of morons can have in todays politics)

Instead of going for revolutions. Revolutions are for two kinds of people, imo. People who want ultimate power (dictators and shit) and people who feel a complete lack of power and have some kind of dream about a world where they would have power. (the irony is that most of the time they already have way more power than they realise. especially in a western society)

Guest Pennywise

Yeah, and paxman rightfully interpreted that as brand going for "revolution". Only what the world would look like and how it would be governed after that revolution was left out of brands equation. Apart from "no inequality. no destruction of environment. no .... ".

That's not an answer. That's dreaming. Anyone who's 4 years old and older wants world peace and what not.

He did actually say in the interview that big corporations should be taxed a lot more. That's one answer for you.

?

Not sure what you mean.

I'd just like to add that the video that was posted in some thread here at watmm during the last us elections, about the debate between all third party candidates (debate was led by that old ex-CNN guy, i forgot his name): those people deserve to be viral. (but aren't)

if you want change, give those people some real support, instead of going for "i don't vote, but wait for some kind of revolution instead".

He did actually say in the interview that big corporations should be taxed a lot more. That's one answer for you.

OK, somewhere deep down in his answers are his political views. Hidden.

But when brought out in the open: don't be surprised to hear things which are already being discussed in current politics.

Brand also talked about those tax free havens. But politics does nothing about those....sure. Half of Europe is/was close to bankruptcy, but those politicians don't even acknowledge or try to do something about it. Anyone ever realised it's not that simple? And that, yes, they are actually trying their darned best to do something about it? And that it takes time and real effort?

Brand should start his left-wing T-party. Lots of yahoo which is in line with lots of people their gut feelings...and that's about it. Welcome to the world of populism. A person who gives a list of problems which other people can identify themselves with, is someone who we can follow. That person should lead nations....hosannah

hahaha

You know, I actually love the guy. The thing that I don't think he has a clue about politics is not worth the effort to throw some tasty bit of good old dutch apple pie at his him. I'd rather give him a cuddle for his naive thoughts on saving the world and achieving world peace.

he's consistently disingenuous imo his whole spiel is an ego-trip messiah complex... does anyone really believe that he didn't vote for all those years as some kind of revolt against the status quo? he was too busy being self absorbed as a drug addict, comedian, lothario, actor, etc. he probably slept right through every election day since he was eligible to vote.

Brand should start his left-wing T-party. Lots of yahoo which is in line with lots of people their gut feelings...and that's about it. Welcome to the world of populism. A person who gives a list of problems which other people can identify themselves with, is someone who we can follow. That person should lead nations....hosannah

This really seems to rub you the wrong way.

How so?

It's just my opinion. And yes, I'm not a big fan of populism. Although I do think I've got some idea of why it is becoming as big as it is. But that's an entirely new subject.

Archived