IGNORED

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Terpentintollwut

oh, i mean his original treatments for the original trilogy. maybe that's not clear in my post. there's actually a graphic novel series out now based on that. it's insane. he's insane. someone managed to reign him in on those three films, be it by having different writers doing the screenplay or different directors. and then ILM coming into its own probably helped matters. the prequels are probably closer to how lucas really makes films and sees filmmaking than the original trilogy. although i am beginning to think he's just trolling his fanbase at this point.

i generally agree with you guys regarding jackson, though i think he's simply a better filmmaker than george lucas could ever hope to be. still not a very good one though, but as far as major commercial directors who make effects movies go, he's one of the best out there.

very drunk, have not read many of the posts: i think that Lucas was largely propped up by those surrounding him. This may be obvious to most, but I tend to regard Jackson in higher esteem, knowing how invested he is in his films.

Side note: Zaphod, I saw your post about seeing The Hobbit pt Deux on Shrooms ( I think it was). I saw "Man on the Moon" in a similar state. Not nearly as exciting. Made me sick, tbh. Fuck Jim Carey and his garbage.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jesus christ DOS on shrooms would be hell, i ate too much of a pot brownie and almost had to call a cab to pick me up from a theatre 30 miles from my house, sooo intense

i honestly believe the george lucas we see now is the real lucas. if you look at star wars as a kind of found pop art object then it's actually a fairly experimental film, as is everything he's done, including the prequels. there's no denying that he's become a mogul, but i don't really believe that the prequels are any less artistically valid than his early films. they're just shit.

I thought THX1138 was a pretty promising first film, but maybe he only had 1 in him? I tried watching American Graffiti for the first time the other night and was taken aback by how bad it was, in a weird way *that* Lucas seems like the genuine Lucas who took a break for Star Wars and *came back* for the prequels.

I don't know how you're judging Peter Jackson as not being a very good filmmaker, but I feel like his splatter and LOTR movies aside he has 2 extremely strong films which i would rank among some of the greatest ever made, Heavenly Creatures and Forgotten Silver.

I also dig the Frighteners, it feels like a movie that could have been made by Joe Dante, but I will acknowledge that movie is also borderline POS, but it's fun as fuck and I enjoy watching it.

:beer: shrooms, crying in movie theatres, good quality pot and dissing on George Lucas (but also pointing out Peter Jackson is not full figurative bubble-neck yet) and going to see movies based on the stoned viewings and subsequent positive musings of usually very critical and jaded watmmers = awesome

Archived