IGNORED

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Terpentintollwut

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently yesterday was the kind of day for that - I also had plans to re-watch the first one last night for some reason, leading me to opening this thread today.

I like Martin Freeman & Gandalf and the whole exposition bit, but mostly what I took away from the movie was that it felt like a 2 hour video game cutscene from the moment they start their journey. Like a movie that was actually written and directed by a computer.

Really? Which aspects did you find superior?

I mean, back when the first LOTRs came out, everyone was like "wooooah", and last time I ran into it on tv, I thought it was some kind of Star Gate re-run, it looked that bad. That's how quickly viewing-habits adjust. And the Hobbit does look "better", more polished. But still, when comparing it to the old ones, they had a much better way of storytelling and build-up within the scenes, and I even thought they had more soul with these little imperfections than the Hobbit that is somehow rendered to perfection but forgot about everything else.

I'm still going to see the new one I guess. There's still hope. Two Towers was better than Fellowship, from a storytelling point of view, maybe this one will improve too ..... maybe. Then again, Return of the King was a lazy greenscreen fest. Like they put only 5% effort into the last one because everyone was going to go see it anyway. Oh boy. I still gotta convince my girlfriend to see Smaug in cinema. I mean, she even went to a super-geeky LOTR-convention back then and got autographs by some of the actors and stuff, but totally lost interest halfway into The Hobbit and didn't even watch the trailer for part 2. :cerious:

First Tolkien related film that I will NOT be seeing at a midnight showing. The Hobbit midnight show last year was fucking awful. I told this story before, but I watched a Gamestop manager stuff his fat greasy zit covered face with a sub stuffed with fries. In the middle of the theater. So gross.

Guest disparaissant

idc about it really

i thought the first one was okay, but it did not instill in me any great desire to see the second.

...but this time not the 48fps version. I never got used to how much it just looked like a really high budget TV show.

this & boredom made me turn off the first hobbit after about 20 minutes.

...but this time not the 48fps version. I never got used to how much it just looked like a really high budget TV show.

this & boredom made me turn off the first hobbit after about 20 minutes.

did you mean you walked out of the theatre? The 48fps version cannot be viewed outside of cinemas, at least not yet

the part I'm looking forward to most in Desolation is Smaug and Beorn. There is a high potential to fuck either of these up really badly though. They have a high bar to reach in terms of a character playing a riddle game with a CGI creature that emotes with Gollum, so i'd be very surprised if the Smaug scene looked amazing. They really set themselves up with a challenge trying to do a movie talking dragon in a way that doesn't look cheesy or like it has been done before.

If Beorn and Smaug looked spectacular we would have seen clear shots of both in the trailer, but my guess is they are still clamoring to get satisfying final renders for their final elements. Supposedly the eye finale of pt 1 was rendered literally 2 hours before they had to turn in the final cut to the studio.

Guest RadarJammer

I'll be seeing it in the theatre, but this time not the 48fps version. I never got used to how much it just looked like a really high budget TV show.

about half the special effects make it look like a tv show. i watched some of those on the set videos and it looked like they had a guy in a cramped corner doing those creature animations mostly by himself in house and against a tightening deadline. there is so much creature cgi that looks so bad it really takes me out of the movie further and further with every scene. they got the scenery so right though. i think the first one looked so bad cgi wise that they should have hired some lesser named actors and farmed out a chunk of the animation to a japanese studio or something.

I thought it was a total mixed bag, on one end you had literally some of the best looking cgi creatures ever created. Specifically a few closeup shots of Gollum's face, where he blows his cheeks up and some of the goblins in the goblin city did not look like CGI at all to me. Many of the shots looked totally crap though, some of the same goblin city shots like the goblin king's body looked fake, the 3 trolls who turned to stone look like weird choppy motion capture and they have no weight to them. I felt the same way with King Kong, that king kong himself looked fucking amazing but most of the dinosaurs looked absolutely terrible, even worse than jurassic park

i thoroughly enjoyed the hobbit pt 1 except for two things. the gobblin city chase scene pissed me off. like a dozen extremely unlikely things happen one after another and i just want the cgi mouse trap wank fest to stop. one day i may edit it out and burn a new dvd. the scene with the tree and the cliff toward the end i thought dragged on, too.

anyway yeah i'll likely go see the second one. tolken is genius and jackson does a good job, though that gobblin city deal makes me worry he has a brain tumor.

comes with premier trailer for nolan's upcoming scifi space flick!

my gf is a huge LOTR/TOlkien fan and im going to see it with her.

I liked the LOTR movies (the first and second one mostly...the third one felt repetitive to me)

The Hobbit was a different story though....I felt like it was lighter in humor, but I got really, really, really tired of all the deus ex machina that always seem to get every single one of the adventurers out of trouble. Hopefully this one will be different?

the 2nd movie seems like it will have the least of that deus ex machina convenience from the way they've divided it up. I can't say as much for the 3rd one though. From what I know about how Smaug is defeated sounds like a plot from a kids cartoon.
A lot of people in the onering forums are claiming that at some point there will be some kind of siege on Dol Gudor where they fight the necromancer with the help of the White council. Now if this in't a potential Yoda VS Count Dooku style prequel scene, i don't know what is. The potential for that to either be really awesome or just really cheesy and unnecessary is in the balance.

Where'd you tell the story? I'd read.

It was from The Hobbit thread last year:

Also, remind me to never go to a midnight showing ever again. I saw the local Gamestop manager come in, walk up to a friend in the theater and show him a picture of his newborn son (born yesterday) on his iPhone and say "He really wanted to be here tonight but he was sleepy". Then he proceeded to sit down, and as the movie started, pulled out a take out box of food (which was a sub) stuff french fries in to the sub, and noisily eat it for the first 20 minutes of the movie. Awesome.

This is where you get up and ask for your money back or get the guy ejected, either way fucks your screening though, but not more than this guy already has. -sie- That said, 20 minutes of that film and they were barely out of hobbiton. heheh.

nwae, This is a reason why i don't go to the cinema anymore and haven't for years, dicks loudly eating during the quiet bits in a cavernous space with clear acoustics. So t causes me mental duress and i never know if i'm going to be pushed hard enough that i'll say something inappropriate to some random stranger over his or her lack of social graces. Therefore if you had been with me this guy would have been eating his sub in the lobby. Not that i'm the best film watcher either, i like to critique films as i'm watching them, posit where the plot will be going and you can't do that in the theatre.

Will be watching the second part sometime in the future, when it's released in torrent world. I loved the first three films from lotr (although third one almost succeeded in pissing me off with the cgi wank fest) and saw them in theaters, but this hobbit thing... No way. I had to work hard to keep myself interested in the first part of the hobbit and hardly did. I don't expect the second or third part to be better. From now on there's only going to be more action and less story, so i'm scared this second part will be like the third part of lotr, and the third hobbit will be even worse.

Archived