IGNORED

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Guest Mirezzi

Guest catsonearth

i wish game developers would stop releasing sequels and just concentrate on improving their games over a few years with patches and extensions. like, instead of doing a fallout 4, they just keep releasing these expansions that make the world bigger and give you more to do like they are now, but also improve on what's already there. there are all these parts and items that don't do anything...why can't i use a paint gun to customize the colors of my shit, for instance? why can't i fix one of the many motorcycles laying around with one of the many motorcycle parts i find around and ride it through the wastelands? why can't i collect all the pool balls, find a pool table and be able to use them both together? there's all this crap everywhere, but aside from a few schematics here and there, there really isn't a point to it all.

with this game and mass effect and a lot of the stuff that's come out this gen, i feel like everybody is *this close* to having a perfect game, but you can always tell where they've had to cut corners or where some other game does something they're trying to do better. i feel like if bethesda just chipped away at some of the shortcomings the game has and add more aspects to it, they could keep using this world for years to come. add some multiplayer aspects to the game like the free roam in GTA4 or co-op, add some of the creation tools from games like little big planet so you could build your own house out of shit you find, build your own weapons from scratch...just really keep going with the feeling that the game already has, but doesn't totally deliver on. i'm not a game developer, but it doesn't seem like any of this would be impossible to accomplish with existing technology.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wish game developers would stop releasing sequels and just concentrate on improving their games over a few years with patches and extensions.

Doesnt bring in the money like some fresh hype over a sequel

Guest olson

i have been getting pretty into oblivion. lockpicks are a bitch to come by if you dont do a lot of random exploring it seems and i'm not really crazy about having to buy new spells but otherwise i like it. i've just been doing whatever quests come my way (mostly fighters guild stuff) so far. i've logged about 10 hours now and haven't even started the main quest ha.

what? i thought fallout 3 was pretty well fleshed out. theres little bits of backstory all over and most places have some unique item to reward your exploring. i dont think that every single raider needs to drop a diary explaining his innermost thoughts and why he is trying to kill you though. and there are definitely a lot of "hidden stash" notes or tapes, or other little items that lead you toward other areas (the weapon cache in the museum of technology comes to mind).

Didn't you feel disappointed when you got to the end of the Dunwich building though? All that buildup, for what? Same with the aforementioned scale model house in minefield. There's that huge raider outpost with what, one dude at the end with the Terrible Shotgun? I thought a lot of the places didn't have a proper payoff. Guess it's just a matter of perspective, but as someone involved in making games himself, it seems pretty obvious to me how it could have been improved with minimal effort - just a bit more effort and some more diaries and backstory. Of course I don't expect every raider to drop a diary, heh.

i have been getting pretty into oblivion. lockpicks are a bitch to come by if you dont do a lot of random exploring it seems and i'm not really crazy about having to buy new spells but otherwise i like it. i've just been doing whatever quests come my way (mostly fighters guild stuff) so far. i've logged about 10 hours now and haven't even started the main quest ha.

You probably know but you can buy 200 lockpicks at a time from most of the sellers in the thieve's guild.

Guest iamabe

oblivion and fallout 3 are pretty shit games if you ask me. bethsoft puts way too much content in their games to the point that you spend a longer time playing through bland content to get to the good content than you do actually playing good content. fallout - way too many samey dungeons ("subway stations"), which would be fine if the combat were any fun, and you feel like you have to check every goddamn fucking crate and ammo box so you can find that rare item that makes it worth going into the dungeon in the first place, and you spend hours looking through shit and most of the time its not worth it at all. so you have this constant dilemma of do you check shit or do you not bother because 99% of the time you're going to open a crate with 3 nuka cola caps and belly button lint, but if you dont then you risk using the same mundane weapons and not having the unique rpg experience you crave in the first place.

and the game is fuck ugly technically, with some pretty crap animations, which is forgivable in a fun game, but it isn't fun. it's too easy to max all your shit and run around and be infinitely powerful, so i try to make the game fun by trying to kill the most shit with the least amount of clothes on, which is actually a decently good time, but still, fuck bethesda. and their dialogue is shit compared to anything blackisle wrote. the quests have more repetetive parts and are more derivative instead of their equivalents in fallout 2 which were wild and complicated and unpredictable, with actual multiple outcomes.

and fuck if you think oblivion is a good rpg. jesus christ, worst leveling and statistics system ever. I think it's the only rpg in the world where it's better to not level. it takes fucking ages to find armor more interesting than whatever youre wearing and the sooner you find it the worse because whenever you get unique items they're made to match whatever level you are, so the best thing to do is just sit in your fucking 1000g house and move furniture around because you dont have to engage in any boring combat that punishes you for killing enemies by making everything take even more stupid hits to kill.

poo on bethesda.

Thief, fallout 1+2 and deus ex are far better games in that niche that dont require anywhere near the grind but offer just as many hours of fun.

and their dialogue is shit compared to anything blackisle wrote. the quests have more repetetive parts and are more derivative instead of their equivalents in fallout 2 which were wild and complicated and unpredictable, with actual multiple outcomes.

true

Thief, fallout 1+2 and deus ex are far better games in that niche that dont require anywhere near the grind but offer just as many hours of fun.

very true. But I think you need to be a bit more generous; the original Fallouts had their own amount of grind, and also a lot of bugs. I think Fallout 3 is a truly gorgeous game that only falls short of the originals in the quest, story, and characterization departments.

I like to think of Bethesda of as the slightly dumber sibling who succeeds in life by trying really hard. They don't seem to be brimming with geniuses (apart from their terrain/environment designer(s), who truly do seem brilliant to me, and their marketing department!), but they work really hard at building genuine RPGs that are not embarrassing to the genre. Visually, I was blown away by Fallout 3, it was everything I hoped it'd be. I wish Bethesda nothing but the best and hope they continue to build better and better games; it seems to me they have a core commitment to their staff and to making good games, which is what makes Valve great too.

Visually, I was blown away by Fallout 3

Same! Leaving the vault was amazing.

I think Fallout is the only grey game that I've really enjoyed the graphics. I have a thing about post apocalyptic wastelands as a setting and F3 did it well.

Guest olson

i like the capital wasteland well enough but tamriel is definitely way nicer to look at. there was a spot where i was on some mountain overlooking a little valley dotted with trees with a river flowing through it and some mountains in the distance at night with the stars overhead and shit and i was like whoa. that being said i have noticed some pretty intolerable framerate issues, and i'm playin on 360 D:

You can get a lockpick that never breaks from a quest. Lock picking becomes real easy after that cuz you can just spam auto :)

i like the capital wasteland well enough but tamriel is definitely way nicer to look at. there was a spot where i was on some mountain overlooking a little valley dotted with trees with a river flowing through it and some mountains in the distance at night with the stars overhead and shit and i was like whoa. that being said i have noticed some pretty intolerable framerate issues, and i'm playin on 360 D:

i loved the tamriel world, but oblivion fucking SUCKED....give me a fucking way to beat the dungeon, not just blindly guess and land in lava half of the time.

i love the way this has turned into a fallout 3 thread to go with the other fallout 3 thread

i'm at the end of fallout 3, so i'm not doing the last quest for ages yet, just enjoying wandering around mopping up all the sidequests. tenpenny tower was great fun :)

i just started playing oblivion tonight, it's good fun. although inevitably i miss VATS

Guest DNBJerk is for real life

I played through Oblivion on Xbox 360. Never played the expansion pack, but would still enjoy doing so.

I also really enjoyed Fallout 3 and want to play the last two expansions for that as well.

ahhh once you get out of the sewers oblivion is really lovely; i see what you mean about wandering about collecting herbs and shit. very soothing although the music is a bit shit

just entered my first oblivion gate - i picked a wood elf only to discover i don't really like the ranged combat. so i got me a bigass sword and i'm learning magics and sneaking

• 1 month later...

I just robbed a guy of almost 200,000 gold.

I also stole a really good hood and robe from a locked keg in Bruma, and I got caught breaking into Jakben Imbel's basement, so I had to kill six guards and ran to my fence, but when I got to the town I was over-encumbered, so I had to kill six more guards, got to my fence and sold all my stolen stuff, paid my bounty (which was over 6000), still got caught, broke out of jail and took my shit back, and paid my bounty again.  That was an intense fifteen minutes.

just entered my first oblivion gate - i picked a wood elf only to discover i don't really like the ranged combat. so i got me a bigass sword and i'm learning magics and sneaking

If you buy Bound Dagger, you can draw it and put it away and conjure it again to boost your Conjuration skill, which comes in handy making Soul Gems, which come in handy in enchanting items.

damn, i wish i had the foresight in that game....i gave up once I realized i wasnt levelling properly(i never got any of the leveling bonuses because I moved my Sneak level up to 100 when i first started)

also, i know i already said it, but fuck the Oblivion world. tamriel is a beautiful place to do quests, but i stopped playing because of the fucking oblivion portals. boring, and badly designed.

damn, i wish i had the foresight in that game....i gave up once I realized i wasnt levelling properly(i never got any of the leveling bonuses because I moved my Sneak level up to 100 when i first started)

Wait, how does that ruin your leveling?  I got my character to master of sneak and leveled twice after that during the Mage's guild quest and the Dark Brotherhood quest, and I was getting bonuses.

also, i know i already said it, but fuck the Oblivion world. tamriel is a beautiful place to do quests, but i stopped playing because of the fucking oblivion portals. boring, and badly designed.

everyone slates the oblivion portals, but that's because they are gay

I meant to ask:

Does anybody know if there is a way to make Black Brugo appear after you've killed his guys and taken his money?  I waited for three weeks and now he doesn't show up, and I've collected 20 Black Bows, but still no Black Brugo.

if I'm remembering right, don't you just go down in that one cave and kill him, and then take the bows to the count dude for payment? Anyway if you broke the quest it's probably done broked.

I found a few other forums with the same topic and no definitive answers, so I guess I just have an unfinished sidequest forever.  I think getting the money out of the chest before knocking off Brugo screws the order of things a little.

• 3 weeks later...

21 days later, I have become the the Gray Fox, Fighter's Guild Master, Arch-Mage, and Speaker for the Dark Brotherhood.  Now I can't get healed at the chapels because the Nine hate me after finishing the Dark Brotherhood quest.

Guest iamabe

QUOTE (iamabe @ Jun 24 2009, 08:24 PM) andtheir dialogue is shit compared to anything blackisle wrote. thequests have more repetetive parts and are more derivative instead oftheir equivalents in fallout 2 which were wild and complicated andunpredictable, with actual multiple outcomes.

true

QUOTE (iamabe @ Jun 24 2009, 08:24 PM) Thief,fallout 1+2 and deus ex are far better games in that niche that dontrequire anywhere near the grind but offer just as many hours of fun.

verytrue. But I think you need to be a bit more generous; the originalFallouts had their own amount of grind, and also a lot of bugs. I thinkFallout 3 is a truly gorgeous game that only falls short of theoriginals in the quest, story, and characterization departments.

Ilike to think of Bethesda of as the slightly dumber sibling whosucceeds in life by trying really hard. They don't seem to be brimmingwith geniuses (apart from their terrain/environment designer(s), whotruly do seem brilliant to me, and their marketing department!), butthey work really hard at building genuine RPGs that are notembarrassing to the genre. Visually, I was blown away by Fallout 3, itwas everything I hoped it'd be. I wish Bethesda nothing but the bestand hope they continue to build better and better games; it seems to methey have a core commitment to their staff and to making good games,which is what makes Valve great too.

you're right that bethesda overall does a nice job. part of the reason i love those old games is nostalgia and the fact that i was like 16 when I played them. I'm not much interested in playing long dungeons anymore.

that said, yeah, both games are very pretty, even if technically they have low texture resolutions and things like that. I saw the alien spaceship expansion in the store the other day and kind of started to regret selling fallout3.

everyone slates the oblivion portals, but that's because they are gay

totally, i enjoyed the game enough before I opened the gates, and then went through about 4 of them before i decided to quit. the worst was the quest where you have to get armies from different cities to fight this one massive gate. the battle was so big it was impossible to tell what was going on and it practically crashed my xbox.

Archived