IGNORED

THE OCD THREAD!

LimpyLoo

I have another OCD friend who used to re-drive car routes because he was afraid that he hit someone and didn't notice

This is a very strange--and surprisingly common--strain of OCD. I really wonder why.

Both as a driver and as a pedestrian I daydream (rather vividly and repeatedly) about bad shit happening. Sometimes driving down the end of my street I imagine a little kid running in front of my car and the parents running out of their house and screaming and crying and...

Speaking of all this, I've actually been hit by a car on two separate occasions lol. I used to be scared of walking in front of cars stopped at lights or stop-signs, so I'd always walk behind the car.

Any theories on all this driving-related OCD?

I was diagnosed with OCD, among other things, as a teenager. I had a number obsession, hand washing, if I bumped my left leg I'd have to bump my right leg in the exact same fashion sort of thing. I had to cough multiple times per sentence spoken, which was embarrassing. I would also get extreme anxiety from crowds sometimes.

As of today, most of that is gone due to being medicated. But I still have symptoms like having to take my daily meds in a certain way, turning light switches on and off again until it "feels right", and cracking basically every joint in my body. But nothing that is really interfering with my daily activities and life any more. So I am thankful to be doing as well as I am now.

I have got something I had never considered as OCD until very recently when a friend looked in my golf bag and said ''Holy shit, you got Wilson OCD'' in reference to me only buying from the same make. It applies to pretty much everything expensive i buy, i'll always stick with the same manufacturers, electronics (Sony), computer shit (Dell), sportswear (Adidas), bikes (Orange), etc. It's all gotta be the same and i've been like that since about 12 years old, so i've missed out on all the great Apple, Samsung, Nike and Callaway products and have no desire to ever go there. It's weird because i'm not particuarly tidy or neurotic or anything, it's just this one thing which i had assumed was a point of personal preference but then i see all my stuff and it's as if other brands don't even exist. Strange.

Haha

Wouldn't call that OCD. That's more like the whet dream for commercial people. People who build emotional relationships with the manufacturers they buy products from. Those are the easy ones. A manufacturer could screw up big time, but those people stick to that manufacturer regardless. To the point of rationalizing away any screw up from the manufacturers. Being emotionally married to manufacturers.

That's no OCD. That's more like Commercial Consumer Sheeple Disorder. ;D

Archived