IGNORED

United States of Secrets - Frontline PBS

awepittance

I'm going to check this out, but I just need a little break from horrible paranoia inducing information for a little while.

The man who helped bring about the most significant leak in American intelligence history is to reveal names of US citizens targeted by their own government in what he promises will be the biggest revelation from nearly 2m classified files.

Glenn Greenwald, the journalist who received the trove of documents from Edward Snowden, a former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor, told The Sunday Times that Snowdens legacy would be shaped in large part by this finishing piece still to come.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/05/26/greenwalds_finale_naming_victims_of_surveillance_122747.html

Greenwald has even debated Gen Michael Hayden, a former NSA and CIA director, in Toronto. A famously aggressive and relentless former lawyer, Greenwald refused to engage in any social niceties with his adversary

Would love to see the footage of this debate. Although I'm sure Hayden woulnd't move from his position in public.

For those interested

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_d1tw3mEOoE

Hayden is allowed to open the argument... In a pretty cringeworthy way...

I loved watching the debate, super frustrating at times. I'm not sure Glenn Greenwald was at his best in this debate. Part of me can totally understand getting visibly angry/agitated at Hayden's bald face lying but i thought he lost his cool a little bit too much. I wish they put up someone like Jonathan Turley instead of that other guy (who I've never heard of)

not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Brian Williams of ABC got the first American TV interview with Snowden in person, airing tomorrow night (wed) at 10pm est

unnamed-620x412.jpg

140526-snowden-jms-1850_59f8d62746cccf17

first picture is lol, someone made a good LOTR photoshop on it that I can't find of brian williams as gandalf and snowden as bilbo

the little bit of video they tease of Snowden makes him seem very Thomas Drake-esque, like a semi aspergers cryptography/coding expert. Not surprised a lot of guys in the intelligence communities have this type of personality. I didn't pick up on that in his previous appearances, he seems far more self possessed and intense in this ABC interview, can't wait to watch it.

i dont trust this guy, and i dont trust julian assunge either, i find it hard to believe these guys dont have documentations on UFOs sightings and alien contact.

oh thanks for the correction!

just checked my cable schedule for tonight not able to find it (feel like a fucking idiot)

ok just realized NBC is no longer channel 4 but is channel 3 and just because the lineup has it at 10pm EST does not mean that it airs at 7pm pst. It airs at 10pm pst and following is a 'web exclusive' post show hour long panel discussion on the interview see: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/edward-snowden-interview/11pm-web-exclusive-brian-williams-post-snowden-analysis-special-n116871

Would love to watch this streaming, as I, like Kcinsu and Oscillik, do not own a television.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, can't get fooled again. I'm trying to privately put food on my family over here.

lawl

I started watching part one of the pbs documentaries but couldn't sit through the insiders telling us their bullshit with a straight face and unchallenged. Maybe start a new thread for the Brian Williams snowden interviews eh. Cause it's like a different thing.

So this is on NBCs website, broken up into 6 parts about 6 mins each. Not sure if anything is cut from the broadcast version, as there were some odd edits I thought, but everything I am reading in the media as a recap was covered in those clips.

I think it was a pretty strong interview... He was articulate. I'll be curious to see if this sways anyone one way or the other.

I saw the same article with the individual clips.

I thought he was well spoken, although some responses seemed a bit rehearsed. I'm not sure if he was privy to the questions before the interview, but if he was not, he did a good job of anticipating them. He also did a great job on the questions that would undermine his position. For instance, the question about what he would advise the president to do if he were to meet with him.

The bit about military secrets and not releasing anything that would hurt anyone was good. I'm sure that swayed some people's opinion.

the amount of editing done was really annoying, otherwise I thought it was very good. Unfortunate that it's the 'standard' for reporters like Brian Williams to essentially act like a blank-slate and not just come out with their opinions on the surveillance state. He was giving some kind of typical reporter poker face for the entire interview, I guess so 65+ people at home could infer that he was disapproving of this 'traitor'.

When Snowden mentions The Wire, it seemed like an odd edit to me.

Apparently this was a 4 hour interview and we get 30 mins. Very curious what else was discussed .

obviously Snowden has no fucking clue when he says Season 2 isn't that great so far, just you wait Snowden when you get to the Greek, this isn't just McNulty on a boat son

Archived