IGNORED

Sativex - NHS cannabis-based medicine

cwmbrancity

Other than the usual array of causes for consuming this substance, does anyone have any direct/indirect experience of cannabis focused muscle relaxant/pain relief medication, spray based or otherwise?

I ask cos of legal changes/events in the US in recent years and the range of medicinal products designed specifically for the above now available in other parts of the world.

Due to some bizarre twist of fate and a legal loophole it means that i might be able to access a drug called Sativex. The circumstances behind why i'd benefit from it are too lengthy to go into here, but getting off opiates is the crux of it & this name/drug Sativex cropped up in a chronic pain management clinic this week. Keeping a straight poker face as the implications of what was being explained to me sunk in wasnt easy.

Does any1 have any experiences along similar lines or with regards to any1 you know, cos its not like i can go to a dispensary and pick up specific strains that cater for pain and muscle/titanium bs and theres seems a high % of partakers in all things flower-powered

no experiences/I have heard that it is an extract type? so either purely CBD or purely THC? (I'd imagine purely CBD) based oil or spray? that you would just put a bit of onto your tongue, let us know how you get on if you get it!

THC and CBD have too high of molecular weight and density to be absorbed via transdermal application without a carrier. Menthol works very well as a way to solve that problem. Looking at this particular product, it seems to be effective in clinical studies. I'd imagine there is a carrier to help it break into your blood-stream. One thing that all of the descriptions of the drug do not explain is A) What is the carrier -and- B) while transdermal effects happen, cannabis is best used orally for the most somatic effects. Seems goofy they'd make this to be sprayed, but not offer the same meds and dosages in a capsule so it can provide relief at the source (brain)

Personally, I have tried many different topical treatments with THC and CBD as the 'active' ingredient and the ones with the menthol worked the best. I spoke at the UW conference on Multiple Sclerosis about the use of CBD in patients for control of pain and spasticity, but I mostly advocated for tinctures made from ethanol extraction of CBD-dominant plants. It was a mixed reception from the crowd, but the people and doctors that came up to me and were interested in the literature and semantics of the subject was surprising. I truly believe there is a really significant benefit to oral doses of low levels of CBD after seeing the results of the patients who wished to try it out.

I think this will work for you man, I hope it brings you some relief. If you were in Seattle, I'd get you a gigantic care package. :flower:

Many thanks all, its good to read/hear things with clarity that cut through the crap, especially what Audio said about carriers etc. That in itself is a homework project to crunch through.

I've read a fair bit around the workings of cbd, certain high cbd strains & ms-case studies etc, but I'm far from an expert. What i do know is that even acute spasm/cramping pain is sometimes better than the fug of opiates. Exercising, the periods always guaranteed to hurt the most, are improved by a couple of vapes & that deep neuropathic pain is significantly ironed out. So its a balancing act. Always thought the medical angle was a partial blag, but experience is proving otherwise.

Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi!

Archived