IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino's Film Universe(s)

Rubin Farr

This would usually go in the Recent Films thread, but Tarantino is such a singular figure in film, and we discuss him enough I thought it warranted more discussion. He recently addressed his filmography in terms of unified universe(s) that fans have been speculating about for years, basically it breaks down into two continuities; the real world, and the movies inside that real world, I.E. From Dusk til Dawn, and the Kill Bill films are fictionalized works inside his real world. It breaks down like this:

Django Unchained - takes place in 1858-1859

The Hateful Eight - takes place sometime in the 1870s

Inglourious Basterds - takes place 1941-1944

Resevoir Dogs - takes place in 1991

Pulp Fiction - takes place in 1994

From Dusk til Dawn --------------------- film released in Tarantinoverse in 1996

Jackie Brown - takes place in 1997

Out of Sight - Takes place in 1998

Kill Bill 1&2 -------------------------------- films released in Tarantinoverse in 2003-2004

Death Proof - takes place in 2007

Several of the interwoven links that have popped up over the years:

John Travolta (Pulp Fiction) & Michael Madsen (Resevoir Dogs) are the Vega Brothers
Michael Fassbender (Basterds) is a relative of Tim Roth (Hateful Eight)
Big Kahuna Burger exists as a brand in Pulp Fiction, but was a product placement in From Dusk til Dawn
Out of Sight fits into the timeline, because Michael Keaton plays the same character in both Elmore Leonard adaptations

Inglourious Basterds seems to really be the turning point in his timeline, as the ultra violent deaths of Hitler and his deputies are where things diverge into an alternate "present", having been covered by the media and disseminated into global culture. This has desensitized people to violence to a point where characters like mafia hit men, drug dealers, and psychotics killers are at large while almost never being held accountable for their crimes or prosecuted. Karen Sisco is really the only law enforcement character in these modern stories, and she wasn't created by or used in Tarantino's directorial efforts.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/quentin-tarantino-explains-the-tarantino-universe

I was thinking about those two, and the Karen Sisco tv show as well, but I'll just stick to the movie versions so far, and Tarantino didn't direct TR or NBK, he just wrote them. He's also taken part in anthology films like Four Rooms and Sin City but let's stick to his original films for the moment.

Funny. I've watched Jackie Brown again recently and was wondering when the story was supposed to take place. It felt like it was all over the place. I would have put it on an earlier timespot than 97 though. Not sure why. But for me it was hard to pinpoint anyways. (Probably wasnt paying enough attention, because i vaguely remember there were some explicit mentions of dates in some cutscenes)

But... out of sight is a Steven Soderbergh film, based on an Elmore Leonard novel?

Nevermind, I missed that paragraph.

yeah, I was thinking, there is basically an Elmore Leonard universe, with characters like Karen Sisco, Ordell Robbie, Jackie Brown, Ray Nicolette, and Raylan Givens so the Jackie Brown film could be seen as a kind of crossover between those two universes. I guess?

Archived