IGNORED

Pink Floyd - Vinyl back Catalogue Reissues

fumi

Yeah, they're not really a favourite here on WATMM but their work inspired more than one or two of the artists and bands that people on here love.

From June their entire back catalogue gets the 180g treatment.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/pink-floyd-to-reissue-catalogue-on-vinyl/

Pink Floyd will, from next month, begin the process of making their entire back catalogue available on vinyl for the first time in over two decades.

Pink Floyd Records will issue the first four albums, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, the soundtrack from the film More and the 2 LP set Ummagumma in June, with other release dates to be announced at regular intervals during 2016.

The first batch of releases, mastered by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman will be pressed on 180gram with ‘special care’ to replicate the original packaging.

In 2011/2 the band issued three ‘Immersion’ box sets of The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. All featured unreleased material and two of the three included hi-res surround sound versions of the albums (we’re still waiting for The Wall). A box set, Discovery, also collected standard editions of the entire catalogue.

The first four vinyl reissues will be released on 3 June 2016.

Love the Floyd but a long time ago I got fucking tired of this vinyl fashion trend. It's just absolute bollocks imo. Sorry for sounding cynical lol.

I shall say no more.

It's just marketing the same thing over and over again in a different form. Some people buy into it. Others don't.

If you're a young person and you don't own any Floyd, it would be a great way to start out.

It's just marketing the same thing over and over again in a different form. Some people buy into it. Others don't.

If you're a young person and you don't own any Floyd, it would be a great way to start out.

Yeah I know fumi, it's cool but at the same time gets my goat. I think my reasoning is because (if I was honest) I'd love to have a pile of cash to buy them all :dry:

But for me it's always about being sincerely into the music, not the fashionable trend side of such things.

This article comes to mind:

http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/07/pressed-to-the-edge-vinyl/

"There was a gold rush at Sony and the other majors, and it’s hard to shake the feeling that the labels are trying to sell their archive a third time, this time to middle-aged buyers who can remember buying vinyl, naturally switched over to the CD, sold or threw away their old vinyl and aren’t completely happy with streaming today. A look at the vinyl section of a large Berlin store proves the shelves are full of reissues of old titles, mostly from major labels. Record players can be purchased right at the checkout. There’s nothing wrong with that – music should be sold in the formats that meet customer demand. But there are indicators that the majors are actively trying to secure substantial vinyl production capacity at the remaining pressing plants. How? By paying in advance. There might even be presses completely reserved for certain companies. That techno EP can wait – Led Zeppelin can’t."

This article comes to mind:

http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/07/pressed-to-the-edge-vinyl/

"There was a gold rush at Sony and the other majors, and it’s hard to shake the feeling that the labels are trying to sell their archive a third time, this time to middle-aged buyers who can remember buying vinyl, naturally switched over to the CD, sold or threw away their old vinyl and aren’t completely happy with streaming today. A look at the vinyl section of a large Berlin store proves the shelves are full of reissues of old titles, mostly from major labels. Record players can be purchased right at the checkout. There’s nothing wrong with that – music should be sold in the formats that meet customer demand. But there are indicators that the majors are actively trying to secure substantial vinyl production capacity at the remaining pressing plants. How? By paying in advance. There might even be presses completely reserved for certain companies. That techno EP can wait – Led Zeppelin can’t."

That's a good read. Thanks.

That article brings to mind the folks over at the Steve Hoffman forums - mostly men in their sixties posting EAC waveforms and arguing over which of the sixteen different pressed vinyl editions of Led Zeppelin's 'Houses Of The Holy' is the best.

Archived