IGNORED

dark açīd

flacid

Rave time. I feel it needs some lo-res hardcore breakbeats tho for maximum effect. But I'm just all about breakbeats these days so disregard that

Yeah, good point. I've never *really* been into breaks but they do fit with some stuff. I have been thinking about getting some recently though so this comment may have swung it... :beer:

Interesting! You could easily like.. beef up the rhythm after it elevates a bit. Maybe with a very snappy snare.

I will say. Another probably better thing you can do to sustain interest, is transition what the listener is paying attention to. Maybe make the bass fade out a bit, then make the pads bigger to compensate, then maybe there's an interlude with just some high hats and a snare, then back to the bass which now has a slightly different melody (just an idea). Transitioning the attention of the listener can be a powerful way to 'transition' without adding new parts. You could easily add a part in the middle where that detuned pad becomes the focus a bit too. I mean there's a ton of stuff you could do.

I'll pm you what I mean so it doesn't seem like I'm trying to take over your thread.

Interesting! You could easily like.. beef up the rhythm after it elevates a bit. Maybe with a very snappy snare.

I will say. Another probably better thing you can do to sustain interest, is transition what the listener is paying attention to. Maybe make the bass fade out a bit, then make the pads bigger to compensate, then maybe there's an interlude with just some high hats and a snare, then back to the bass which now has a slightly different melody (just an idea). Transitioning the attention of the listener can be a powerful way to 'transition' without adding new parts. You could easily add a part in the middle where that detuned pad becomes the focus a bit too. I mean there's a ton of stuff you could do.

I'll pm you what I mean so it doesn't seem like I'm trying to take over your thread.

Totally agree and thanks for your thoughts. Transitioning and different patterns is where I am planning to head next. I record a lot of my tracks live so most of the time and I'm still relatively new to it so I'm not (yet) thinking about volume, how things are made the focal point or proper transitions. I'm changing my setup to make this easier for me :) and am thinking about sequencing things in a song mode so that I can properly modulate effects/volume/filters/etc live without thinking so much about adding/subtracting sounds. I do enjoy live jamming (probably to the detriment of my output) so I need some element of that to remain but know I need to find a 'happy balance'

Listening to it again. While you do introduce new parts, the stuff you're adding sounds like it's being added to the background, which downplays it somewhat. It might be a good idea to have its introduction more obvious, then let it slide into the background while new things are introduced, or.. really whatever you can think of.

Er, I actually initially realized that it was important after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCrdINidls

It's about film, but thing is it can easily be applied to music and the listeners attention and certain sounds being the center of attention. The listener should really not even notice his attention has changed, just as in a well edited movie they won't have to put much effort into finding the focus of the next cut.

Listening to it again. While you do introduce new parts, the stuff you're adding sounds like it's being added to the background, which downplays it somewhat. It might be a good idea to have its introduction more obvious, then let it slide into the background while new things are introduced, or.. really whatever you can think of.

Er, I actually initially realized that it was important after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCrdINidls

It's about film, but thing is it can easily be applied to music and the listeners attention and certain sounds being the center of attention. The listener should really not even notice his attention has changed, just as in a well edited movie they won't have to put much effort into finding the focus of the next cut.

lol, I think that may also be down to my mixing skills... Sounds are fine when listening from the mixer. I then record into Ableton and it's not the same levels (I know I should sort this out too...) Planning to modulate a lot more going forward, am definitely conscious of a listeners concentration/enjoyment.

Very interesting video and I agree on the premise. You could say that bringing in the sounds quietly could help the listener not notice the change but then the volume should be edited at least at some point. My tracks are generally too static in this regard.

I like it a lot, the pads and beat need turning up in relation to the acid tho. Nice menacing acid line and overall vibe.

Thanks dude, just an acid jam really. Was trying a Ventolin style, high pitch irritating sound to help with the overall atmosphere. I guess must have mixed into the track (or also been too quiet :)) as no-one has mentioned it.

Archived