IGNORED

Dolls marching

zoix

Hai.

New slow techno-ish track I've been working on. So I guess the break and the introduction to the second part needs to be looked at, or do you think it works? Are there enough interesting elements or do I need to sprinkle more FX around the track you think?

Other questions:

Too much bass?

Is the track too long?

https://soundcloud.com/zoixx/dolls-marching

Feel like it might need more high end. I understand you want a darker atmosphere but lowpassing the snare just doesn't sound right imo. Try alternating the velocities on the snare. Bring in those haunting string sounds (sound starts around 1:50-2:00) sooner. 

Honestly the strings are my favorite part hands down, I think it's like the meat and potatoes of the track. I could listen to that middle section break for a long time (like a William Basinski loop)

Track lingers a bit but length is nice. 

the BD is fine but the bass line is a bit wooly.. tubby. sort of comes through a bit much in some freqs.. but i like it. i think overall the mix could be a bit more balanced and there's a lack of presence in the middle ranges but that may just be what you like and is more of a creative thing than a mix problem.  i like the vibe though. i dont know if it needs more high end but i think it could do w/some noise.. like hiss somewhere.. faintly.. or something.. some crust and hiss.. or somethig.. i can't explain it too well.. but some breathing in there. 

Feel like it might need more high end. I understand you want a darker atmosphere but lowpassing the snare just doesn't sound right imo. Try alternating the velocities on the snare. Bring in those haunting string sounds (sound starts around 1:50-2:00) sooner. 

Honestly the strings are my favorite part hands down, I think it's like the meat and potatoes of the track. I could listen to that middle section break for a long time (like a William Basinski loop)

Track lingers a bit but length is nice. 

Thanks for the feedback! Im going to look at some subtle crackling white noise to add. I'm happy with the strings, glad you like them. Will experiment with adding them sooner.

the BD is fine but the bass line is a bit wooly.. tubby. sort of comes through a bit much in some freqs.. but i like it. i think overall the mix could be a bit more balanced and there's a lack of presence in the middle ranges but that may just be what you like and is more of a creative thing than a mix problem.  i like the vibe though. i dont know if it needs more high end but i think it could do w/some noise.. like hiss somewhere.. faintly.. or something.. some crust and hiss.. or somethig.. i can't explain it too well.. but some breathing in there. 

Thanks! Yeah I need to compress the bass a bit to make it more controlled. Also sprinkle some crusty white noise over the whole thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice zombie-stomp! Lovely toybox sound, the atmospheric toy sounds are good, and the march drum is cool! Really nice slow master sound, love the ambient section, really dreamy!

Thanks man! I intend to come back to this one and polish it a bit. Got some nice feedback in this thread.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Nice track! The only thing that grates me a bit is that in the second half, the bass and the chimes sound kind of artificial or jerky together. I think I would change the chimes so that they either don't play the same melody as the bass or that they don't trigger at the same time. And I think there's also the case that the chimes don't ring fully until the end, so every next note cuts off the previous one and there's no ringing sound, which makes me feel like it's unnatural and contrasts with the natural sounding strings.

Nice track! The only thing that grates me a bit is that in the second half, the bass and the chimes sound kind of artificial or jerky together. I think I would change the chimes so that they either don't play the same melody as the bass or that they don't trigger at the same time. And I think there's also the case that the chimes don't ring fully until the end, so every next note cuts off the previous one and there's no ringing sound, which makes me feel like it's unnatural and contrasts with the natural sounding strings.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the break and the second part is not something im satisfied with and will work more on. I think it needs something less plinky and melodic in the second part, perhaps ill keep working with the strings instead.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Archived