IGNORED

Ipad First Generation - 16GB - Music production Apps/Midi!?

Polytrix

Hey.

What would you recommend? I know the OS is outdated so that limits what I can use but I know there is some stuff available.

I've inherited it from my sister and it's being set up as a fresh device.

Additionally, can I use this as a midi trigger with Ableton? There's a way to get it to interface right? 

This would all be pretty new to me so go easy with the advice if you've got it! 

Thanks a million. I'm not in a good place to make many new tunes at the minute but I'm moving rooms soon to an even bigger space so to have this set up and ready too would be really nice. The screen economy and just touch nature of it are really appealing.

Cheeeers!

Thanks for a quick reply.

Yup likes like it works with Ipad1. Fantastic, I had no idea, it practically turns the ipad into a digital Push controller from what I can see.

That's perfect. Then I don't have to learn a new piece of software, I can just run it from Ableton.

£24 seems OK too.

Yeah - pretty much, and once you're comfortable with the pre-made templates you can make your own interface completely suited for your workflow.

Unfortunately it didn't exist on Android when I was looking for a similar thing, so I spent ~£25 on LKBridge (now uBridge) which is pretty much a less customisable Lemur, but as I already dropped the cash I thought I might as well stick with it.

Is it quite user friendly and intuitive would you say?

I like the idea of the templates to start with, especially the scale mode as I don't have a midi controller with enough pads to light up that way, i'd just use keys which doesn't seem as easy.

Do I need an extra midi in/out box thing for this to work or simply have it connected via USB and go from there? 

Also, any unique sound producing apps? I'm thinking something odd like something which evolves a sound/is generative. 

May be difficult with an Ipad 1 though.

Or something unique to the Ipad and the functionality of the ipad touch screen which is just a great standalone rather than just a VST synth or whatever which obviously I can just run through Ableton via laptop. 

I'm very minimal, I use very few 3rd party VST/plugins in Ableton.

Do I need an extra midi in/out box thing for this to work or simply have it connected via USB and go from there?

Supposedly it does MIDI over wifi or MIDI over usb with an adaptor (just a USB cable on Android)

I think the templates are the 'user friendly / intuitive' mode then you progress to the custom templates (if you want) as you get more comfortable

As I say I went the UBridge route so it might be worth a second opinion here for those that have it. I definitely would've got it otherwise though - Here's Kraftwerk at it ....

I was running Sunvox comfortably on an HP TC1100 tablet from around 2003 for years (it's waiting for a new hard drive right now), and that is very comparable to a 1st gen iPad in terms of processor power, so Sunvox should run well on your iPad, too.

Some time ago I found a thing called MobMuPlat, which basically seems to be a way to import your existing Pure Data patches onto an Android/iOS and play them as a standalone instrument. It seems like something to try if you're into building your own things (or just using stuff found online). I have not tried it out myself yet, but it seems like a fun thing to work with.

Archived