IGNORED

Sonic Potions LXR+60knobs vs Tanzbar Lite/Tanzmaus as performance drum machine

In a couple weeks I'll have enough money saved up to get a drum machine to pair with the Octatrack as the core of a live performance setup.  I'll have a budget of up to around $500 and in that range I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of the two MFB machines (not sure yet which I'd get, but the performance features are basically the same) or the LXR plus the Bastl 60knobs for tweaking (and also doubling as a controller for the TX802 and Axoloti as a bonus).

I don't know anyone with any of these machines and it's not really easy to demo them hands on - I think the closest place I'd have much chance to find an MFB machine to demo would be New York City and the LXR is DIY only - but if anyone has any insight into how the performance aspects of the MFB machines and the LXR compare in actual practice I'd love to hear about it! 

As far as sound, they're pretty different but everything I've heard from both sounds good. Choosing between the deeper synthesis possibilities of the LXR vs the MFB machines just sounding classy af in general is a whole other conundrum.  I was leaning heavily toward the LXR but those MFB machines are pretty irresistible.

Haven't tried either, but couldn't resist replying, sorry. For a liveset situation I'd go for either of the MFBs as they seem to have a more solid sound straight out of the box. The lxr + 60 knobs seems alluring but personally I would be hesitant to add that many tweakable drum parameters in my liveset, and the mfbs paired with the octatrack offer quite some freedom in exploring and transforming your drums.

This is how I'd approach based on nothing. 

Yeah, I watched a bunch more videos and I'm leaning heavily tanzmaus now. Sounds great and looks a lot easier to use than some of the written reviews suggested, seems like a really nice interface..

Archived