IGNORED

Devin Townsend - Empath

Hail Sagan

Singularity!  OMG.

I'm off to the record store to get the CD now.  Remember CDs?  I buy them.  That's fuckin' right.

Yeah I went with the double cd and I got this as well.

devin-townsend-hail-the-leaf-jersey-roya

Rarely buy clothing but it was too ridic to pass up. Legit hockey jersey with embroidered patches and in the Vancouver Canuck color scheme.

Man, I don't play drums but that is such an enjoyable watch.  So much control - it almost looks like he is barely playing at times, but there is this explosive sound coming out.   And the dynamics!  Such composition.

• 10 months later...

this is bonkers, i listened to it as soon as this thread was born but thought att that it was way too cheesy, mostly because of these vocals, but damn, this is something else, loving it to the bones!!! the cheesier the better... i hope his midlife crisis never stops! top notch production and i can't believe he found a way to get this 

Spoiler

into it. :^) genius!!!

this guy doesn't get enough attention here on watmm, just look at him and mats playing zappa when they were kids:

On March 16, 2020 at 7:27 PM, Tim_J said:

You are joking right? He's not the one doing the death/black metal vocals or is it? No it's not, btw who is it? I gess it's Devin himself... 

I thought he did in past after reading a past interview, but maybe not. He's definitely on that song though.

As far as mixing goes I feel like Dev does a great job but with so much going on things are gonna get cut. One thing I REALLY wish his music had every once in a while that seems to be completely lacking is some damn bass. Off the top of my head I can't think of any songs that build with bass or have prominent bass lines throughout the song. It's completely buried. Obviously a live performance would allow for things like the drums and bass to breathe more which is why it sucks I won't be able to see him on this US tour anymore since covid-19 decided to headline in every city worldwide. Like all touring musicians he had to cancel his tour which is pretty dire. If you're a big fan and want to hook him, and Ché, Morgan, Keneally, Mike St. Jean,etc. up I would suggest donating a few dollars to the go fund me he just set up.It already hit its "goal" but it's pretty damn modest considering how many people are in the band and have been affected by this.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/DevinTownsendSupportTeam

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Dev set up a twitch account for the Quarantine Project and is live streaming some songs he is making in the process. Well, Today it looks like the 'rona finally got to him (psychologically at least, physically all indications are that he's still asymptomatic). Mega Deconstruction/SYL vibes afoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSLJP17iYo

Odd contrast of mellow music and darker concept on this one:

"I contacted Martin (All India Radio) on Twitter this week and asked if he would mind if I released this for the Quarantine Project and he agreed, so I made a quick video for it and I hope you like it. the term ‘Call Of The Void’ was one that I heard referring to that sensation when your driving beside a cliff and have a strange fear that at any moment you may just hurl yourself over."

• 2 weeks later...

for those who don't know there's a deluxe edition with a second cd full of demos (which btw don't sound like demos at all, it's simply another album)... and it's pretty darn cool!!!

Tests Of Manhood
2-1    The Contrarian (Demo)    5:42
2-2    King (Demo)    5:29
2-3    The Waiting Kind (Demo)    3:54
2-4    Empath (Demo)    5:12
2-5    Methuselah (Demo)    4:08
2-6    This Is Your Life (Demo)    4:16
2-7    Gulag (Demo)    5:38
2-8    Middle Aged Man    3:25
2-9    Total Collapse    5:42
2-10  Summer (Demo)    6:16

this guy is ultra cool...

Here's the stream from the first concert yesterday... (for some reason, the quality is blurry, I'll try to solve that) The concert has appeared online (as expected) so I figured I may as well just post a decent quality one here, but ALL proceeds are for frontline workers, so I hope you understand. I think we're looking at a substantial amount of revenue raised for the hospital foundation on this one (edit: over 45.000 USD!!!), so cheers to you all. The next one is this coming Saturday, April 25th, and all benefits from that one will go to the National Health Services in the UK, and it will be a different setlist. There are prizes for both top donations as well as random draws from some amazing gear companies (Fractal, Toontrack, Neural, Line6, KSR, Dunlop, Mooer, D'addario, Fishman etc) and each 'ticket' gets a link to a download to the audio.

Archived