IGNORED

Paula Temple - Edge of Everything

Yeah, it's a little patchy - the beginning is devastating and then it coasts a bit. It's her debut album, though (!), so it makes sense that she's finding her footing in terms of how her material works in that format. In recent interviews she discusses getting more interested in cinema/score work and I can hear it - a lot of it feels more "background" than her past stuff and not necessarily in a bad way.

I'm saying this not having listened to anything on this album yet but it's incredibly hard to do longform techno in this style imho, you either loose steam or give your audience a headache. Not saying it's impossible (peter van hoesen's stealth comes to mind although that could be considered a lot more psychedelic, a few planetary assault systems albums might apply) but with paula temple's relentless style it's difficult.   

10 hours ago, user said:

I'm saying this not having listened to anything on this album yet but it's incredibly hard to do longform techno in this style imho, you either loose steam or give your audience a headache. Not saying it's impossible (peter van hoesen's stealth comes to mind although that could be considered a lot more psychedelic, a few planetary assault systems albums might apply) but with paula temple's relentless style it's difficult.   

I think there's some truth to this, but the album as a whole is also quickly growing on me. Again, not as a pure techno album but as a collection of tracks that are unmistakably Temple while not 100% gut-wrenching beats and primal synth screams (which I think is why it works).

Will check out Van Hoesen and Planetary Assault Systems, thanks!

Archived