IGNORED

Google announces it's nearing quantum supremacy

Rubin Farr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

I’ve got students that are doing more relevant work than Google simply because they have significant data to work with and Google doesn’t. The simplest possible algorithm (it’s their first machine learning assignment!) is more than enough to extract meaningful insights from it.

Cool! What kinds of courses do you teach? What university? (You're from the Netherlands if my memory is correct, so thats familiar territory for me). I studied artificial intelligence at the UvA back in the days (started in 98). 

?

You really proved your point, China developing AI...wow

AI would probably be very helpful with performing vivisections on Uighur teens.

AI was also instrumental in another anticapitalist mission: the Russian interference in the 2016 election

2 hours ago, goDel said:

Cool! What kinds of courses do you teach? What university? (You're from the Netherlands if my memory is correct, so thats familiar territory for me). I studied artificial intelligence at the UvA back in the days (started in 98). 

?

Yup, from NL ? I teach at the bachelor level (HBO), mostly first and second year DB stuff, though I’m also involved in designing the curriculum for the third year, where they start to do machine learning. It’s not particularly advanced (partly on account of high school math not being a prerequisite for bachelor level software development ?) but even so the students manage to some quite meaningful work by simply grabbing a bunch of data, massaging it a little and running some off the shelf libraries over it.

Didn't know kids these days get to do that stuff on that level as well. Sounds logical to do it there as well, btw. You can get a long way in data mining without knowing the math behind it. I figure a beginners course using WEKA and some classic datasets is already a worthwhile thing to teach kids nowadays.

8 hours ago, sheatheman said:

You really proved your point, China developing AI...wow

AI would probably be very helpful with performing vivisections on Uighur teens.

AI was also instrumental in another anticapitalist mission: the Russian interference in the 2016 election

I would bet they're doing forced sterilizations and abortions  as well.

Archived