IGNORED

microkorgs

Guest Death and Taxes

Guest Death and Taxes

shall i get one then?

good for the bedroom musician, or something else out there for the money. not sure i like the gooseneck vocodor contraption though, that detachable?

I just got mine today! it's fucking great to have something outside of the computer. i'd say it's very nice as a little desktop thing. some really sleek sounds, it has a very unique feel. i mean, imagine that you can be lying in bed making tunes with this thing. sexual!

it's quite obvious why it's used in so many live situations considering how small it is and the massive sounds it makes.

the first thing my girlfriend said was that it was "soooo cute".. so it's not exactly a big badass synth monster. but people'll change their opinion once you start playing on it

i don't think you'd be able to get anything better in the same price range.

the keys are tiny, but i'm going to get a midi cable to connect my 5 octave midi keyboard to it.

did i mention that the arpeggiator rules?

the mic is detachable yes, it comes outside of the synth by the way. i love the retro look of it, i have a feeling this will be a great little buddy until i can get a bigger analogue monster.

good wee synth, nice fat noises..i don't think the vocoder has as many channels as the ms2000 vocode, but i could be wrong.

if you're already using your pc to multitrack then you'll be fine with it. if it's anything like the ms2000 also, it'll be a pain in the ass to program.

it is not mutitimbral, so if you require more than one sound coming out of it at once, then this is not the synth for you.

Guest Death and Taxes

will definitely be using it with my PC

just need a keyboard to play on and record into a wav editor or something

Guest taxman

i have the ms2000... it's useable. it's not really my kind of sound in most cases though.

i played around with a microkorg at the store. i didnt really find it that exciting.

i'm having tons of fun with playing with the sound right now. try turning the delay way fucking up and fuck around with the 3rd knob,. then go and fuck around with the noise generator etc

Guest Death and Taxes

so, sayin you have about 300-400 quid to spend on your first piece of equipment, what would you get?

Man do some research.

What kind of question is that anyway, should I get a microkorg?

If I have three brazillion dollars what gear must I aquire mate?

'[uiohauiohdsa;dsgf;'bhfdsagkl'jnfdsg;'j!

:@

B Q643] -W]ESNJ

PESP'J FRDSL

[ SI\AIOJ'H RE

i have the ms2000... it's useable. it's not really my kind of sound in most cases though.

i played around with a microkorg at the store. i didnt really find it that exciting.

yeah, i've been slightly disappointed with my ms2000 also.

i expected it to be more powerful in terms of actual sound synthesis.

it's ok though... i get some use out of it.

Guest Death and Taxes
Man do some research.

What kind of question is that anyway, should I get a microkorg?

lol, i'm obviously asking for opinions of those who own one if they like it or not.

Yeah okay but my 'man do some research' comment still stands, if you would take 5 minutes to look around this very subforum you would find that there have been numerous topics in which the microkorg has been discussed.

What happened to the good old days of UTFSE?

i'm using it with a mixer and a pair of monitors i bought before synths, they're somewhat expensive. i think the synth is never going to sound better than the hardware you're running it through.

the mixer is an analogue mackie 1402, and I have to say the microkorg sounds somewhat better compared to a pair of headphones. it makes higher frequencies less harsh, it doesnt sound as digital, you can turn the resonance way up etc. i have to thank the moon for suggesting that piece of equipment for me, it really is worth it. but the difference is not extreme, it sounded very good on the headphones as well, and it might be more of the difference between speakers and headphones. if the analogue bug hasn't bitten you you shouldn't bother reading this at all.

Anyway, like some other dudes said, do some research. the alesis micron is also a very popular contender.. check the www.vintagesynth.com forums and ask around or read the countless debates about it before

do you have a midi controller or not? if not you should investing in one like that instead and try some VST's and stuff out. you can do a whole lot with VSTs and the difference between VA synths and vst's is not huge.

one hting though, it's a bitch to program! i'm chugging through the manual as we speak and getting a grip on it, but don't expect to be programming sounds the first thing you do. not really needed either since the sounds that are on it are quite fun already.

perhaps you should ask someone with more synths and shit, maybe even save the cash for a more powerful synth. i dont think i'm the right person to tell you.. do research on it. ask every little stupid question you can think of, read up on synths, compare them on sites like the above mentioned vintagesynth.com (it's an essential site for geeks like us).

it all depends on what sounds you're looking for, what you prefer. by the way, correction on the above statement in some post that it's not multitimbral, it has 2.

i'll probably get back to you in a few days or weeks and tell you more of my opinion with the programming etc. or why not just ask someone else who's had it for a year or so.

i think you'll most probably enjoy it if you get it.. it's very nice to sit in the dark and play around with, i'm a sucker for all the pretty lights lol. i'm just pissed i can't record it with my computer songs yet (a whole other story that has to do with my hardware to digital converter equipment)

for me the synths looks, the lights, heck even the smell of it is at least as important as the sound. it really affects what you'll be making on it. it feels like taking a time machine back to the 80's with this thing, i really enjoy it as an analogue synth fantast who don't quite have enough cash for an analogue synth just yet.

if you're more into viruses and DSP synths like that, maybe the micron would be your thing. it has three OSCs and way more place for programs and shit. i think it looks like shit, like a plastic fucking ugly midi controller. doesnt have any capability for battery operation, and the korg has more waveforms

for me soul is an important thing and the microkorg has more soul, at least in my personal opinion.

anyway, theres tons of debate at the vintagesynth.com about which to get of these two so check it out.. if i was you i wouldn't listen to me :laughing: and listen to some fucking demos!

Guest Mr. Magoo

what kind of sound is that?

cause i'm looking to a synth that makes funky bass like mrfingers "can you feel it", or zapp and rogers "more bounce to the ounce"?

Ensoniq ESQ1 synthesiser?

Guest taxman

i dont know those songs but the ms2000 sounds are pretty modern sounding to me. i do the majority of my bass sounds with the mc-202.

the ms2000 is good for ambient and dancey type stuff. if my mp3 software wasn't expired i would post some tracks i used it in.

Too many people rant and rave about this thing for me to even consider having one. especially for something I can do just as easily with software. I think Ill start building a modular though, lots of people are doing that too these days, but not as many. sleepy time, good night.

Too many people rant and rave about this thing for me to even consider having one. especially for something I can do just as easily with software. I think Ill start building a modular though, lots of people are doing that too these days, but not as many. sleepy time, good night.

Don't you want a Nord Modular instead? :grin:

Guest Death and Taxes
i'm using it with a mixer and a pair of monitors i bought before synths, they're somewhat expensive. i think the synth is never going to sound better than the hardware you're running it through.

the mixer is an analogue mackie 1402, and I have to say the microkorg sounds somewhat better compared to a pair of headphones. it makes higher frequencies less harsh, it doesnt sound as digital, you can turn the resonance way up etc. i have to thank the moon for suggesting that piece of equipment for me, it really is worth it. but the difference is not extreme, it sounded very good on the headphones as well, and it might be more of the difference between speakers and headphones. if the analogue bug hasn't bitten you you shouldn't bother reading this at all.

Anyway, like some other dudes said, do some research. the alesis micron is also a very popular contender.. check the www.vintagesynth.com forums and ask around or read the countless debates about it before

do you have a midi controller or not? if not you should investing in one like that instead and try some VST's and stuff out. you can do a whole lot with VSTs and the difference between VA synths and vst's is not huge.

one hting though, it's a bitch to program! i'm chugging through the manual as we speak and getting a grip on it, but don't expect to be programming sounds the first thing you do. not really needed either since the sounds that are on it are quite fun already.

perhaps you should ask someone with more synths and shit, maybe even save the cash for a more powerful synth. i dont think i'm the right person to tell you.. do research on it. ask every little stupid question you can think of, read up on synths, compare them on sites like the above mentioned vintagesynth.com (it's an essential site for geeks like us).

it all depends on what sounds you're looking for, what you prefer. by the way, correction on the above statement in some post that it's not multitimbral, it has 2.

i'll probably get back to you in a few days or weeks and tell you more of my opinion with the programming etc. or why not just ask someone else who's had it for a year or so.

i think you'll most probably enjoy it if you get it.. it's very nice to sit in the dark and play around with, i'm a sucker for all the pretty lights lol. i'm just pissed i can't record it with my computer songs yet (a whole other story that has to do with my hardware to digital converter equipment)

for me the synths looks, the lights, heck even the smell of it is at least as important as the sound. it really affects what you'll be making on it. it feels like taking a time machine back to the 80's with this thing, i really enjoy it as an analogue synth fantast who don't quite have enough cash for an analogue synth just yet.

if you're more into viruses and DSP synths like that, maybe the micron would be your thing. it has three OSCs and way more place for programs and shit. i think it looks like shit, like a plastic fucking ugly midi controller. doesnt have any capability for battery operation, and the korg has more waveforms

for me soul is an important thing and the microkorg has more soul, at least in my personal opinion.

anyway, theres tons of debate at the vintagesynth.com about which to get of these two so check it out.. if i was you i wouldn't listen to me :laughing: and listen to some fucking demos!

thanks for the input :cool:

cause i'm looking to a synth that makes funky bass like mrfingers "can you feel it",

TB-303? that song has like the best bass line ever

I've said it before, but what is all the fuss about microkorgs? Aces high to Korg's marketing team. They've got every African American makin' beats wanting a triton, every trance nerd with a karma, and every bedroom musician with $350 in their pocket urging for a microkorg. Use your money on ebay and pick up a second hand waldorf micro-q. Seriously, there's nothing special about a microkorg. The metal plates on my son's $2 toy vibraphone are of higher quality than the keys on that piece of shit. Korg are like the Ford of making synths. They had their classics back in the day, but the quality of everything they make today sucks.

Guest Death and Taxes

so i bought one then

how do i record it on a computer? i reckon it's only a midi controller via the midi cables.

fun as fuck i might add

Guest taxman

i just play stuff through the mic jack on my soundcard and record it using acid. you might have to mess with the settings to get it to work though.

start menu> programs> accessories> entertainment> volume control

once in the program hit options> properties. click the recording button and then ok and you can set it up from there.

thats how it works on a pc anyway. i dont know about macs.

enjoy the synth

Guest Death and Taxes

headphones jack, i see. . . what about those stereo outs, i reckon they might be better suited? does it sound alright through the headphone jack?

cheers mate i'm gonna try this out

it's well enjoyable innit?

like those blokes with the babblefish acid contraptions, how you reckon they record that analogue shit and get mp3s out of em? same way?

it's all well confusing to me. wish i could hire someone to tutor me for a day to get me on my way.

can someone post a vid of them setting some keyboards and shit up with no shirt on?

Guest taxman

ah yeah i have a mixer in between the gear and the computer to handle sterio outputs, but then most of my synths are mono anyway. if you dont want to bother with both outputs then you can just pick one. they'll probably both sound the same.

haha i am one of those guys with the babblefish analog contraptions. i record my music on tape and then i record the tape to the computer. The tape is just to make things sound nice though, theres no real need for it... so yeah... just the same way.

Guest Death and Taxes

got this all riggered up now, can record and everything!

ready to start making music

what should my band name be then

safe!

Archived