IGNORED

The GulfFire (S>>D) - Mission Tapes Vol. 1

fumi

• Rubin Farr changed the title to The GulfFire (S>>D) - Mission Tapes Vol.1
  • Rubin Farr changed the title to The GulfFire (S>>D) - Mission Tapes Vol. 1

Hauk tells Snake they want him in particular to go in and rescue the President because he flew the Gulffire over Leningrad. Details of this operation in Snake's past were revealed in "The Bank Robbery". The Gulffire glider is a fictitious aircraft. (The spelling "Gulffire" comes from the film's novelization, though some other sources spell it as "Gullfire". Since the novelization is based on the original script, I am presuming it has the correct spelling.)

http://snake.popapostle.com/html/episodes/Escape-from-New-York.htm

gullfire_NY1997_IAR-IS28B2_0h21m57.thumb.jpg.c3d54f4a6f51e6257fad9598ce791850.jpg

I really like this. It is similar to Tomorrow's Harvest, in the sense that it feels like it is somewhat of a warning or perhaps a soundtrack to a plan of action that has been engaged. Minimal and carefully thought out. Nothing lingers too long, 14 songs over 48 minutes.

2 hours ago, chameleonday said:

I really like this. It is similar to Tomorrow's Harvest, in the sense that it feels like it is somewhat of a warning or perhaps a soundtrack to a plan of action that has been engaged. Minimal and carefully thought out. Nothing lingers too long, 14 songs over 48 minutes.

Yeah Tomorrow's Harvest seems kind of timely now huh

14 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Yeah Tomorrow's Harvest seems kind of timely now huh

Indeed - track titles from TH include 'Reach For The Dead', 'Sick Times', 'Collapse', 'Nothing Is Real', 'Come To Dust'.

I recommend listening to the Geogaddi Japanese bonus track, if you haven't: 'From One Source All Things Depend'

I don't like it so much. I appreciate that he's trying to channel the vibe from 'Escape from New York' and various other Carpenter movies but it's so successful in this that I feel like I'd just as well listen to one of Carpenter's 80s soundtracks. This doesn't sound at all like the S>>D stuff (which was much more interesting and varied). 

By the sixth or seventh track I was pretty bored. Just the same insistent, ticking sequencers and ominous chords. For recreating scenes of Snake Pliskin on a rescue mission or Doctor Dan Challis trying to escape the clutches of an evil mask maker - these tracks do a great job.

Unfortunately thats all they do. 

39 minutes ago, fumi said:

I don't like it so much. I appreciate that he's trying to channel the vibe from 'Escape from New York' and various other Carpenter movies but it's so successful in this that I feel like I'd just as well listen to one of Carpenter's 80s soundtracks. This doesn't sound at all like the S>>D stuff (which was much more interesting and varied). 

By the sixth or seventh track I was pretty bored. Just the same insistent, ticking sequencers and ominous chords. For recreating scenes of Snake Pliskin on a rescue mission or Doctor Dan Challis trying to escape the clutches of an evil mask maker - these tracks do a great job.

Unfortunately thats all they do. 

snake.png

I like it. The first track [Night Mission], with its Firefox movie sample, "Gant, can you fly that plane? Really fly it? Yeah, I can fly it. I'm the best there is." was a solid opener to me. After listening to the rest of the album... it was indeed a complete nod John Carpenter. 

Archived