IGNORED

Devil is in the Details

tarsier888

"the devil is in the details

"Just relax, and enjoy this pleasant adventure. Here you are, secure and protected, in this, your special place, letting my voice flow into your mind. There's no need to concentrate. Just gently as you go. Suggestions are going into your unconscious mind. Open yourself up to the greater wisdom and understanding. So, now, letting the sound of my voice reach the inner, healthy, receptive centre of yourself. See yourself now in your imagination; and you are being tranformed in a positive healthy way, so you are programming your unconscious mind, gaining new insight into your directions, in the future. Allow yourself to be more aware of your pathway through this life. [Enjoy all that you can.(?)] As the days go by, you are programming your mind, and you are allowing this to happen. These things are happening day by day, just as I tell you they are happening, wherever you are. See this happening. Allow it to become part of you; more and more happily, more and more surely, more and more powerfully, each day. When it is necessary, you can program yourself, be able to dream the information you require. This awareness will come back to you at your own rate. It will never be more than you can cope with. This guidance will help show you the way. This will only happen if you choose it will be so. Ready, now ..." [DC]"

what?

i don't understand this, why would they choose to put these kind of lyrics into their music, a lot of their lyrics in geogaddi have things about the devil, satanic things.. so i'm still wondering, why would they have this in their music? i've read in interviews that they have said they aren't satanic, they aren't religious, they aren't anything.. but then i listen to the lyrics of geogaddi, and it makes me wonder. what are your thoughts people? :unhappy:

Edited by Tarsier

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
"the devil is in the details

"Just relax, and enjoy this pleasant adventure. Here you are, secure and protected, in this, your special place, letting my voice flow into your mind. There's no need to concentrate. Just gently as you go. Suggestions are going into your unconscious mind. Open yourself up to the greater wisdom and understanding. So, now, letting the sound of my voice reach the inner, healthy, receptive centre of yourself. See yourself now in your imagination; and you are being tranformed in a positive healthy way, so you are programming your unconscious mind, gaining new insight into your directions, in the future. Allow yourself to be more aware of your pathway through this life. [Enjoy all that you can.(?)] As the days go by, you are programming your mind, and you are allowing this to happen. These things are happening day by day, just as I tell you they are happening, wherever you are. See this happening. Allow it to become part of you; more and more happily, more and more surely, more and more powerfully, each day. When it is necessary, you can program yourself, be able to dream the information you require. This awareness will come back to you at your own rate. It will never be more than you can cope with. This guidance will help show you the way. This will only happen if you choose it will be so. Ready, now ..." [DC]"

what?

its a mcbooble at pseudo psycho 70's therapy good feeling deep healing bananarama esalen institute subliminal psychedelic paranoia fucktwaddle gaboing.

alpha and omega

Forwards: "Yellow!"

Backwards, near end, something along the lines of: "I'm a God-darned Satanist, and, if I wanted, I'd be in [t]his business too" [DC]

i don't understand this, why would they choose to put these kind of lyrics into their music

Becaue they have a sense of humour?

Because they like the uneasy atmosphere that it creates in the music?

alpha and omega

Backwards, near end, something along the lines of: "I'm a God-darned Satanist, and, if I wanted, I'd be in [t]his business too" [DC]

who cares? if you enjoy it, enjoy it. if it bothers you, put it away and leave it alone.

alpha and omega

who cares? if you enjoy it, enjoy it. if it bothers you, put it away and leave it alone.

i love boards of canada. i do enjoy their music. but like mr mcgreggor would say on "stay": "i want some %$@#ing answers!!!!!"

alpha and omega

i love boards of canada. i do enjoy their music. but like mr mcgreggor would say on "stay": "i want some %$@#ing answers!!!!!"

you may not get them.

what the hell is up with boards of canada?

fredd-e's boc pages

How old are you, Tarsier? 15? Or are you a dupe sent here to plague us with inane questions.

I haven't had much of a problem with chromakey dreamcoat and Archrival - they just seem enthusiastic - but your "OMG 666!?!" threads get under my skin.

Use your head, figure it out. Read. Listen.

How old are you, Tarsier? 15? Or are you a dupe sent here to plague us with inane questions.

I haven't had much of a problem with chromakey dreamcoat and Archrival - they just seem enthusiastic - but your "OMG 666!?!" threads get under my skin.

Use your head, figure it out. Read. Listen.

"OMG 666!?!" eh?

im sorry if i'm curious, and i'm sorry if i annoyed you, but i am concerned about the fact that one of my favorite bands have satanic lyrics etc in their music. they make beautiful music, but now that i am getting deeper and deeper into what they are all about it is starting to make me sick.

Of course its common knowledge BoC are hardcore satanists. If you dont want to be a part of this, please leave the board, we've got virgins to sacrifice.

Guest taxman

boc does it because fans eat it up. it's the same reason the beatles put all that subliminal suff in their songs about paul mccartney being dead.

it's all about clever marketing and building a mysterious image. it makes them stand out and it's interesting.

now they seem to be famous enough to let up and tell people it was all a joke... it's not like it will cripple sales at this point.

Guest taxman

just out of curiosity though, what do you find objectionable in the lyrics to devil is in the details (besides maybe the title)?

we've got virgins to sacrifice

woah, could someone send some virgins my way please?... er... theyre not for me... the volcano is about to destroy our village... and that damn witch doctor with his pimp tent sort of cleaned us out of virgins...

boc does it because fans eat it up. it's the same reason the beatles put all that subliminal suff in their songs about paul mccartney being dead.

it's all about clever marketing and building a mysterious image. it makes them stand out and it's interesting.

now they seem to be famous enough to let up and tell people it was all a joke... it's not like it will cripple sales at this point.

I think that's a bit too cynical a take on things, and not the whole story. I think there's a strong libertarian streak running through all of BoC's work. But, unlike 60s hippies who naively felt that bucking authority and running free into the woods would lead to peace and love, BoC - with the hindsight of people who saw what the 70's wrought - realize that dark and dangerous things lurk in the woods. But you should go in anyway. I think BoC see themselves as guardians/proponents of the mysterious, which means everything shadowy and inchoate - the "pagan" world. A place where beauty and madness aren't that far from each other, and blissful communal living and brainwashed cultism are only a hair apart. I think at the time they made IABPOITC and Geogaddi they (or perhaps just Mike) were in a very dark spot, where they felt that a person like David Koresh, however delusional, was in fact an example of a truly "free thinker," and therefore worthy of some respect or re-evaluation. It's a radical and perhaps foolish stance, to say "however crazy he may have been, at least Koresh wasn't a conformist." In other words: madness may be preferable to conformity. But in todays world of government intruding ever more into our daily lives, this view makes as much sense as ever.

Basically I think their stance was anti-politically-correct. PCism says that it values multiple viewpoints, when in fact it is very narrow-minded. I think BoC were saying in their own way, that truly free thinking incorporates madness and mystery, where everything isn't spelled out in excruciatingly literal academic terms. I think they want to shake you up by confronting you with "cultlike" music. Whether they believe it or not is sort of beside the point; they are interested in your reaction. Most people probably don't get it or are afraid of it, instead of recognizing and appreciating the pull in the core of their being towards cultlike behavior (BoC worship being one example). BoC are not "safe." They are not just there to repackage nostalgic, sepia-toned images of your childhood. Or rather, they are there to preserve all of your childhood, including the parts you might rather forget: listening to adults argue; being betrayed by your first friend, blind puppy-love, humiliation. They want you to be both seduced and frightened by their music, and to recognize the fact that you are being seduced, and be frightened by your own reaction. They are masterful psychological manipulators; they make Aphex Twin's in-your-face antics seem childish by comparison.

IMO.

Edited by lumpenGriff
  • Like 1

Guest taxman

yeah i am pretty cynical sometimes.

i do like that first paragraph. beauty and danger really do go hand in hand a lot of the time. i go mountain climbing and some of my favorite stories are the ones where i got lost in a storm or somehow got scared shitless by the sheer power of nature. i think that's also why i am drawn to psychedelic drugs. theyre beautiful but they can be really fucking scary. that's part of the draw i think. i'm sure boc understand this. really, this concept is something any great artist or storyteller has to understand... and the theme is everywhere if you look for it. i think it's the subtlety that makes it so strong... just like willy wonka and the chocolate factory, and specifically willy himself. he's the nice happy guy with overtones of evil all over the place.

but then a lot of boc's music isn't like that. sure it's all over geogaddi and in a beautiful place, but i think you may be giving them a little too much credit. all that about childhood memories... you would be the one doing that, not them. personally i don't get all these bad childhood vibes of arguing parents and betrayel etc. i might be seduced by the music, but i'm never really frightened or deeply disturbed.

at the heart of it, it's just two guys making music... and although it's interesting music to begin with, the more interesting they make themselves, the more interesting the music will seem to everyone else. thus the whole secret hideout no interviews rare tapes shenanigans.

... now what was i talking about? *rereads*

Guest taxman

ah yes the satanistic shenanigans...

it's about 5am here and i havn't slept. i'll try to write something coherent tomorrow :sleeping:

Guest BunnyRabbit

Which they didn't even do. It was all made up by someone else, much to The Beatles bemusement.

BOC deliberatley do put messages about sataism in their music and most tellingly on Happy Cycling the backwards stuff is actually somone from ELO (?) talking about beging accused of backwards masking.

If you think BOC are seriously satanists then I assume you also think Dante was a satanist and Hieronymus Bosch? They don't refer to satanist ideas in their music to proclaim they're actually occultists or worshippers of the anti-christ. They just use it as a symbol.

The real truth is that BOC are a couple of goths. Yes, they even admit as much in recent interviews talking about their rock band days. Goths, I tell you.

They probably drink cider and blackcurrant too.

Guest roygbiv

so fed up of these noob threads. You can read about the "satanic" side of boc anywhere on the internet. But to sum up:

Boc are not satanists or pagans or anything, they are simply interested in religion. They add things like they have done to their music because it adds an air of mystery, and the fans love it. So stop complaining.

I think that's a bit too cynical a take on things, and not the whole story. I think there's a strong libertarian streak running through all of BoC's work. But, unlike 60s hippies who naively felt that bucking authority and running free into the woods would lead to peace and love, BoC - with the hindsight of people who saw what the 70's wrought - realize that dark and dangerous things lurk in the woods. But you should go in anyway. I think BoC see themselves as guardians/proponents of the mysterious, which means everything shadowy and inchoate - the "pagan" world. A place where beauty and madness aren't that far from each other, and blissful communal living and brainwashed cultism are only a hair apart. I think at the time they made IABPOITC and Geogaddi they (or perhaps just Mike) were in a very dark spot, where they felt that a person like David Koresh, however delusional, was in fact an example of a truly "free thinker," and therefore worthy of some respect or re-evaluation. It's a radical and perhaps foolish stance, to say "however crazy he may have been, at least Koresh wasn't a conformist." In other words: madness may be preferable to conformity. But in todays world of government intruding ever more into our daily lives, this view makes as much sense as ever.

Basically I think their stance was anti-politically-correct. PCism says that it values multiple viewpoints, when in fact it is very narrow-minded. I think BoC were saying in their own way, that truly free thinking incorporates madness and mystery, where everything isn't spelled out in excruciatingly literal academic terms. I think they want to shake you up by confronting you with "cultlike" music. Whether they believe it or not is sort of beside the point; they are interested in your reaction. Most people probably don't get it or are afraid of it, instead of recognizing and appreciating the pull in the core of their being towards cultlike behavior (BoC worship being one example). BoC are not "safe." They are not just there to repackage nostalgic, sepia-toned images of your childhood. Or rather, they are there to preserve all of your childhood, including the parts you might rather forget: listening to adults argue; being betrayed by your first friend, blind puppy-love, humiliation. They want you to be both seduced and frightened by their music, and to recognize the fact that you are being seduced, and be frightened by your own reaction. They are masterful psychological manipulators; they make Aphex Twin's in-your-face antics seem childish by comparison.

IMO.

finally a good understanding of what BOC do.

Guest BunnyRabbit

IMO.

finally a good understanding of what BOC do.

Yup, wise words.

But Aphex's antics were only ever childish. Not sure the comparrison is worthwhile.

so fed up of these noob threads. You can read about the "satanic" side of boc anywhere on the internet.

I think this thread has prompted some useful meditations on BOC

Where's the beef?

"the devil is in the details"... (selected important parts)

"... relax, .....pleasant adventure. ... secure and protected,....., your special place, ....... greater wisdom and understanding. .... healthy, receptive centre of yourself. .... being tranformed in a positive healthy way, ...... more aware of your pathway through this life. .;.... more and more happily, ... awareness will come back to you at your own rate.... never be more than you can cope with. .....This will only happen if you choose it will be so. Ready, now ..."

pretty fucking satanic though eh? :devil:

just out of curiosity though, what do you find objectionable in the lyrics to devil is in the details (besides maybe the title)?

we've got virgins to sacrifice

woah, could someone send some virgins my way please?... er... theyre not for me... the volcano is about to destroy our village... and that damn witch doctor with his pimp tent sort of cleaned us out of virgins...

well one time i was doing research on satanism, and on the site it was saying things like 'once you accept satan in to your life things will start changing and you won't notice it's the devil at first' and things like that, obviously thats not exactly what it said, but it really fit in with the devil is in the details lyrics, it's creepy =P

Guest taxman

i thought satanists didnt even beleive in satan.

i read it's more of a self serving atheistic thing where the goal was making yourself happy. it's been a long time since i studied all that but i think that was the gist of it.