IGNORED

Devil is in the Details

tarsier888

i find devil in the details to actually be one of boc's most comforting tracks. I agree that their great sense of humor is present, as well as their brilliant understanding of dialectics, but i also think that the lyrics were additionally meant to manipulate in the listener unironically, in a uplifting manner.

Do you run all of your replies through babelfish before posting them here?

haha no, i guess that's what happens when you study french for too long,

but how did you pick that out? so vague

Edited by YMBD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boardsofcanadarool

Let me settle this in a fair way. Boards of Canada hurt people. They break them. They take their lives and smash them against a brick fence lined with primitive souls. They perform sexual acts on almost all of the town people, including the roundhouse sex slave. It is really a horrible thing to witness! Now, let me explain to you the reason Old Tunes Volume 3 and 4 were never released. First of all, they had a song on Old Tunes Volume 3 that was named here in Scotland "quite possibly the best piece of music I have ever heard", to quote just one young kilt-wearing Scotsman. Old Tunes Volume 4, on the other hand... ha-ha! Now that is a special casette indeed! I remember the first time I heard it in '97... There is this one track on it.. it is called "Electroplastic Shakeheard". WOW. Seriously, WOW. It starts off at first quite like ROYGBIV and Whitewater, but then engages into a melody that, and I kid you not, made me orgasm 3 times in my pants the first time I listened to it. I had to change clothes THREE times because it was just so pleasant and delightful! Now, Tarsier, if you don't listen and heed to these kind words, you will never know the great gift of Old Tunes Volume 5 and Acid Memoirs. Be gone, and only know that you should follow the blue sign... BoC WILL be re-releasing their old stuff, you just WAIT and see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

I know this thread is pretty old but does anyone else hear 2 sets of lyrics at the same time? I can't make out all of it but apart from the obvious lyrics I can hear stuff like "we mustn't kill our protector" at 0:35 and "slit your throat now" at around 1:30. Along with a bunch of other ominous stuff, all in a darker voice.

That second line really makes the sounds at the end of the track and the start of the next really uncomfortable for me, anyone else hear the same thing?

• Facepalm 1

A comment on Youtube: 

The bassline and melody of The Devil Is In The Details are an octave and a major sixth apart. The bassline/melody repeats the first note three times, yielding three consecutive "sixths" in a row, i.e. 6-6-6. Furthermore, the bassline and melody are approximately 1.618 seconds apart - the golden ratio.

Pretty cool :)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, vkxwz said:

I know this thread is pretty old but does anyone else hear 2 sets of lyrics at the same time? I can't make out all of it but apart from the obvious lyrics I can hear stuff like "we mustn't kill our protector" at 0:35 and "slit your throat now" at around 1:30. Along with a bunch of other ominous stuff, all in a darker voice.

That second line really makes the sounds at the end of the track and the start of the next really uncomfortable for me, anyone else hear the same thing?

Not really, no.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 5:29 PM, vkxwz said:

Do you mean "Here you are, secure and protected, in this, your special place"? And "See yourself now, in your imagination"?

image.thumb.png.6b052d2a0011aaf1ab6fb51c7570b2ef.png

9 hours ago, OneToThirtySix said:

Do you mean "Here you are, secure and protected, in this, your special place"? And "See yourself now, in your imagination"?

image.thumb.png.6b052d2a0011aaf1ab6fb51c7570b2ef.png

Yeah but I can hear two different lyrics if I think about it. Who came up with those lyrics anyway? I'm assuming not BOC, and we all know how reliable googles lyrics are... (Like have lyrics for aphex tracks with no words at all etc).

The fact the rest of the album contains so much subliminal stuff makes it seem not all that unlikely that there's something hidden in these lyrics, the obvious ones in that screenshot you sent don't really fit on their own anyway.

I'm not denying that those words in the screenshot are said but I think there's another hidden layer there,

9 hours ago, vkxwz said:

Yeah but I can hear two different lyrics if I think about it. Who came up with those lyrics anyway? I'm assuming not BOC, and we all know how reliable googles lyrics are... (Like have lyrics for aphex tracks with no words at all etc).

The fact the rest of the album contains so much subliminal stuff makes it seem not all that unlikely that there's something hidden in these lyrics, the obvious ones in that screenshot you sent don't really fit on their own anyway.

I'm not denying that those words in the screenshot are said but I think there's another hidden layer there,

I almost heard it trying to listen again, but it sounds to me like the oscillated filter might be affecting the way the vocal track sounds.

• 1 year later...

Just to add some more probably wrong ideas about this track; that squelching sound that runs throughout, sounds like the sound of cutting flesh, that in mind plus the bubbling at the end sounds kinda disturbing

And nowadays I hear some of the lyrics as, "slit your throat, in your imagination"

Also, the voice in this track sounds like the same voice that is hidden in Palace Posy from Tomorrow's Harvest, wonder if it's a friend of the brothers'? It doesn't sound like either of their own voices

It's also weird to see people site google lyrics / bocpages lyrics as the "true" source of lyrics, they were also come up with someone just listening to the track, and once someone reads that and believes it, they are far more likely to hear the lyrics as that in the future

Edited by vkxwz
  • Facepalm 1

I never got around to posting this anywhere but this music has a vocal part with a similar timbre and tone as Devil is in the Details. It's not totally out of the realm of possibility they heard this tape via their crate digging and tape trading habits.

• Like 4