IGNORED

'Vintage' Roland Gear

flacid

Evening all,

Got a question about the old Roland stuff. Would in theory the following work?

TR 808 (Din Sync Out) > MC 202 (Din Sync In)

MC 202 (#1 Din Sync Out) > TB 303

MC 202 (#2 Din Sync Out) > Kenton Pro Solo > Midi (Other gear)

TR 808 (Trigger) > SH 101

Right or wrong?

dinsync to midi is only for sync (via appropriate converter). you won't get note/gate data out of a 202 that way.

But it will sync the midi gear via the 808 clock?

yeah that should all work fine, I do a similar chain myself... I've got a Novation Drumstation handling MIDI - DIN sync conversion which works real well

So I start with the MIDI side of things and have a Yamaha QX7 sequencer as master sending out MIDI clock thusly:

Juno 106 Midi Out > Yamaha QX7 Midi In > QX7 Midi Out > Kenton Midi Thru5 Midi In > Kenton Midi Thru > Novation Drumstation > DIN sync out from Drumstation > MC202 DIN sync in > 202 DIN sync out > TR606 DIN sync in > TR606 trigger out > SH101 Ext. Clock In

I also send Midi Thru from the Kenton Thru5 out to my TR707, DSI Evolver, TR626 and back into the Juno.

Upshot of all that is when I press play on the QX7 everything starts and stays locked in tempo to the master clock, and the sequences recorded into the QX7 play on the Juno.

I might be wrong, but afaik the kenton does not convert din sync to midi sync.

Actually, there are not that many din to midi converters. I can't think of any. There are a lot of devices that have midi and sync out and there are quite afew midi to sync converters

I'd say you need to use a master clock that has midi and use the kenton to convert the midi clock to din sync.

From there it's almost the same connections as you mentioned:

kenton sync out -> 202 in

202 out 1 -> 303 in

202 out 2 -> 808 (slave mode)

808 trig out -> 101 ext clock in

What midi device do you want to connect? I guess you want to use the 101/202/303/808 internal sequencers, but are u using another sequencer over midi or DAW?

Spot on, the Kenton does midi to din sync and not vice versa... O.k, I have to think a bit more on this...

Stupid question > If I use the 808 to trigger a synth and it has midi thru or midi out can I use that to send midi clock to a different device?

Spot on, the Kenton does midi to din sync and not vice versa... O.k, I have to think a bit more on this...

Stupid question > If I use the 808 to trigger a synth and it has midi thru or midi out can I use that to send midi clock to a different device?

It might! If the synth which is receiving the trigger IN is set up to be a slave and has an inbuilt sequencer (and the trigger is launching the sequence) then I guess it might carry on the clock command via it's MIDI ports, however if you're just using it to trigger individual notes on the synth then it probably wont work

Apparently there is a device that can do sync to midi conversion:

Kenton D-sync

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/08/sync-303-one-little-box-midi-din-sync/

You beauty :w00t::music:

It might! If the synth which is receiving the trigger IN is set up to be a slave and has an inbuilt sequencer (and the trigger is launching the sequence) then I guess it might carry on the clock command via it's MIDI ports, however if you're just using it to trigger individual notes on the synth then it probably wont work

Yeah, the synth I have in mind has a sequencer so will test it once the 808 arrives :beer:

Cheers :beer:

You've made me curious though, which other synth do u want to sync?

I want to sync my Octatrack so that I can then sync and sequence some of my other synths :)

I've got an odd setup going that is kinda like what you're aiming for.

707 trigger -> KiwiJxP3

Kiwi midi out -> Rytm

Rytm midi out -> DSI Pro 2

DSI Pro 2 -> Electribe chain of ESX-1 and EMX-1

Helps that they all have sequencers probably, but they can all play off the 707 clock with no lag or timing issues. I've even hooked the 707 midi-out to ableton and synced live's clock to the 707 for easy recording of little jams via the bus of my mixer. I could also hook up more to the setup I think with the midi from the ESX and EMX...

707/727 is quite a good master clock as it has both midi and din dync outs. Sadly it doesnt slaves to midi AND sends out sync.

My 707's tempo knob is a bit fidly so it sometimes goes 1 bpm up or down, but I used it as master clock with midi to my MPC (and further) and sync other Rolands many times. Works like a charm!

@Flacid; Than you'll need a midi to sync converter ;)

Do you think you'll loose the 808's natural lag'n'swing when its not master clock?

Archived