IGNORED

Video editing/shooting/etc. thread

Zephyr_Nova

Anyone know how to convert mpg to mp4 without having those horizontal lines appear everywhere?  I'm using FCP, which only accepts mp4.  Sadly, a lot of the coolest found footage out there is in mpg format.  I know deinterlacing can sometimes help... in which case, leads to a free program that can do that successfully?  I downloaded Handbrake, but see no deinterlace option...

Please feel free to discuss all things video making related in here.  I am still a total newb (started messing around with FCP at the beginning of this year).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

handbrake has deinterlace and decomb (decomb is better usually) in the video tab.

I could not find deinterlace anywhere, but found decomb in the picture setting, which I set to fast.  Looks immaculate now.  Woohoo!

• Big Brain 1

Maybe it doesn't have deinterlace in your version (I remember the Linux version being a lot different from Windows; I've never used the Mac version), or maybe I'm misremembering.  Decomb is just context-aware deinterlace, so it only deinterlaces the frames that need deinterlacing, so usually it's the best choice.

• Like 1

Also:

FCP actually uses Apple’s own QuickTime, and they even have their own QuickTime (.mov) codec, the Prores422 series of codecs. It may benefit to buy QuickTime Pro or download mpeg streamclip to convert stuff.

But it seems like you got it taken care of, just figured I’d mention this in this thread. I’ve actually started using premier more. But I still have FCP on my older Mac, and will probably always use it for something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...