spectral gates - 'contact bounce' (IDM/math-rock/experimental)

dub3000

so... we've been sitting on this for a while now.

'spectral gates' are a sydney-based rave/doom/math two-piece. albums #1-#3 have had a bunch of local radio play and some spotify - album #4 comes out early 2022.

this one is a rolling linear live rhythm freakout over an 0coast and a pocket operator beat. steve (the drummer) told me there's a 13 in the time signature. i couldn't figure out where the 1 was though, so it doesn't matter. lots of home-made DSP (delays, mostly) in here as well.

we've been writing software for a much more elaborate video clip for a more conventional lead track from the forthcoming album, but we were burning out on that so we smashed this clip out in a few days.

hope you like it. if you're near sydney, we're playing 21 nov - ping for details.

cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty kool. I was kinda disappointed by the lack of progression, but since you said this was made in just a few days I figure it's not an issue. I quite likes the mix of digital and live drums.

Forgot to add, good luck with the album launch!

This is really neat! The guitar sounds are really beautiful, nice floaty mood. I like the combination of live and electronic drums too, although I feel like in terms of mixing they don't quite gel together as well as they could. Definitely gonna check out the rest of your stuff on Spotify.