IGNORED

Curb or Seinfeld?

Berk

On 9/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

Tough call. Seinfeld is gold. Curb is gold for like the first 6 or 7 seasons but I haven’t been as into it since Larry and Cheryl’s divorce because it seems like Larry has evolved into someone a bit more mean. Throughout all the rest, he was more or less honest and selfish and would find himself in difficult situations but I had to stop watching at some point. I think I’ve missed the last two and a half seasons.

Any arguments to jump back in?

Reveal hidden contents

Probably Seinfeld… but by a nose. 

Yeah, at first, there are situations where things happen to him- like giving the valet keys to the guy and Wanda seeing him. He has no control over them, the circumstances work out a certain way, and he is like “no, that’s not what I meant!” Or whatever. There’s a funny/embarrassing misunderstanding.

Now, he puts himself in these situations and he is the catalyst for most of the misunderstandings. 

Maybe this also happened on Seinfeld as the show progressed, but it wasn’t as noticeable to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Himelstein said:

Maybe this also happened on Seinfeld as the show progressed, but it wasn’t as noticeable to me.

As Seinfeld progressed, they kind of transitioned from storylines featuring relatable, everyday situations (The Chinese Restaurant, The Parking Garage, The Stranded), to a bit more wacky storylines (The Puffy Shirt, The Barber), to completely unhinged wackiness where the meat is not so much story but exposition on how crazy the characters can get (The Chicken Roaster, The Little Jerry, The Butter Shave, The Merv Griffin Show...).

It got totally wacky after Larry left, but the transition was happening even when he was there.  I'm guessing it's due to a few reasons, it's probably hard to write clever episodes like the early ones season after season.  Different writers come in during later seasons and, having developed their own notions of the characters, tend to take the stories in those directions perhaps?

Edited by randomsummer