IGNORED

Curb or Seinfeld?

Berk

was just thinking about this earlier. i think Seinfeld came at a time when it was very new/unheard of to make a show about typical social interactions and to analyze them - to get impatient about them because they don't make sense. Jerry handles it in a more palatable, reserved way whereas Curb takes that stroke of genius which is to cast Larry as an asshole. that means being relatable goes out the window and Larry can just keep going and going. also you can say cunt on HBO.

Tough call. Seinfeld is gold. Curb is gold for like the first 6 or 7 seasons but I haven’t been as into it since Larry and Cheryl’s divorce because it seems like Larry has evolved into someone a bit more mean. Throughout all the rest, he was more or less honest and selfish and would find himself in difficult situations but I had to stop watching at some point. I think I’ve missed the last two and a half seasons.

Any arguments to jump back in?

Spoiler

Probably Seinfeld… but by a nose. 

Edited by J3FF3R00

I think it's unfair to compare them directly, since they existed in very different worlds with respect to what could/couldn't be done, and what had been done before.

In that respect, I think Seinfeld wins. For that show to survive on network TV in the early '90s was insane.  Of course, I enjoy the Larry David seasons a lot more than the later ones, where it just got too wacky at the expense of the minutiae.

Laugh for laugh, Curb is probably funnier but I find myself rewatching Seinfeld way more than Curb.  Maybe I just like the ensemble of the main four, or perhaps the quick sitcom format more than Curb's format of Larry gets trapped in a situation and acts like a dick and finds a way out of it somehow.

• Like 2

i like the alternate reality of Seinfeld. it never fails me to get me back in a good mood. a couple of clips on yt and i'm set.

curb i only watched the first season and a couple of random later episodes. not that i didn't like it, it's funny as hell, but somehow it got old after a while.

• Like 1

I heard a Louis CK story about Larry doing stand up way back before Seinfeld. And he would yell at the audience. Like "hey, where are you going?" kind of stuff.

Some of his act ended up in Seinfeld. 

And thank god Louis CK is coming back btw

3 hours ago, marf said:

I heard a Louis CK story about Larry doing stand up way back before Seinfeld. And he would yell at the audience. Like "hey, where are you going?" kind of stuff

There's some of that in the commentary/extra content on the Seinfeld DVDs (which is great content, btw). Apparently, sometimes if the audience wasn't feeling what he was doing that night, he would berate them, tell them to fuck off, and leave the stage.