IGNORED

Loraine James - Gentle Confrontation

dr lopez

let me make a loraine james track:

really nice pads and synthy atmosphere

despondent british working class voice "my mum never let me have sainsbury's hummus.... just tescos"..... "just tescos".... "just tescos"..... "just tescos"....

a bunch of really fast edited breaks and footwork beats that don't really work with the cool pads

• Haha 5

I normally hate it when an instrumental producer I'm into gets big and starts putting their own vocals all over stuff in spite of themselves - but I think Loraine James pulls it off.

I think the fact that shes clearly pretty terrible at singing and makes no attempt to disguise it (when shes obvs got the production chops to do so) really warms me to her and instantly brings a lot of vulnerabilty and emotional intimacy to a style of music which normally rejects that sort of thing.

Shes from a younger generation to me, one who's lines between genres are even blurrier and there is genrally more of an acceptance of this kind of earnest, hyperawareness of ones emotional states- in another age she might have been a sort of singer songwriter type. Got to say I didnt really feel the Julius Eastman album but her stuff on Hyperdub has always been a pretty good listen.

not a fan per se but some of her stuffs decent..got tickets for her show last weekend but she cancelled at the last minute without explanation..that's flakey, ignorant and embarrassing.

_20231020_211405.thumb.JPG.098c45858828b74ebded61fe11342dde.JPG

There's far better artists out there, listen to them. Loraine James is a starstruck callous fraud

• Haha 1