IGNORED

Q-Chastic/Melodies From Mars

Guest vibertisgod

I reckon there's still some discussion to be had on this.

Let it go Caustic, IG-88 (as seen in Empire) got his arse kicked on Cloud City and that's that.

What are you talking about? Everybody knows that Dash Rendar toasted his metal arse in Shadows of the Empire?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let it go Caustic, IG-88 (as seen in Empire) got his arse kicked on Cloud City and that's that.

What are you talking about? Everybody knows that Dash Rendar toasted his metal arse in Shadows of the Empire?

That was IG-88D. IG-88B was the one in Empire that got his arse kicked on Bespin.

Guest Caustic

That was IG-88D. IG-88B was the one in Empire that got his arse kicked on Bespin.

:cry:

Guest Helper ET

Melodies from Mars sounds so AFXy, but I would love to know the story behind how it got "out", and understood to be AFX. Also the Q-Chastic thing...fine, nobody knows what it sounds like, why the fuck are we talking about Q-Chastic and what the fuck is it? Also I don't think the Tuss is AFX. Wouldn't it be funny if everyone started talking about the Tuss/AFX controversy again?

Guest Caustic

MFM track 9 has the same clicky hats and claps as AB5 track 7.

MFM track 5 has the squelchy hats from AB5 track 1.

on an unrelated note, I would like to express my love for MFM track 10. Absolutely stunning melody.

like i said earlier - cassette tape given to "friends" at a party....

Melodies from Mars (1995) is a collection of unreleased tracks suspected to be by Richard D. James, better known as Aphex Twin. Although James has never admitted authorship of this supposed unofficial album, at least two of its tracks are alternate versions (possibly demo versions) of tracks featured on the subsequently released Richard D. James Album (1996). The Aphex Twin Community claims that Rephlex (James' record label) asked them to remove MP3 excerpts of this album from their web site. This appears to lend credence to the theory that Melodies from Mars is indeed a work by Aphex Twin.

It is commonly believed that Melodies from Mars was given to some of Richard's friends on cassette tapes. Other than these tapes, the only place to find this music is through online p2p file-sharing.

There are apparently two versions of the album circulating the internet, the more common of which is lacking the below mentioned version of "Logan Rock Witch".

Guest Helper ET

i've heard people talking of how the fingerbib and logon versions could possibly be fakes. this is thought because (I can't listen to them now) apparently the only difference in fingerbib is song structure editing and logon, simply stuff added on top of the originals. any thoughts? this leads me to question the legitimacy of MFM being a RDJ release

Guest HokusPoker
i've heard people talking of how the fingerbib and logon versions could possibly be fakes. this is thought because (I can't listen to them now) apparently the only difference in fingerbib is song structure editing and logon, simply stuff added on top of the originals. any thoughts? this leads me to question the legitimacy of MFM being a RDJ release

I don't have MFM yet, but structure editing needs original samples, doesn't it?

And RDJ providing original samples of Fingerbib (!!) to somebody planning an AFX fake album?

Hm...

(Or am i getting something wrong?)

I don't get it. If Melodies from Mars and Q chiastic were never released, why can we all share them? Is this some sort of elitist Rephlex thing or something?

Regardless of whether something is commercially released or not, the original creator does hold a copyright to it, especially if an artist is signed to Chrysalis or some similar music publisher.

Melodies From Mars got out from a cassette that was handed to a few selected peoples (Warp execs etc i believe) at some party or other. It's definitely Aphex.

Partially correct - it was a demo that was being shopped around as a follow-up to ICBYD. The title was a joke by Richard at the time, handwritten on a dozen or so C90 cassettes.

Joyrex said he leaked MFM back in 2000.

Plus, two of the tracks bear striking resemblance to two tracks on AB5.

There were some RealAudio snippets making their way around on usenet; I was given a CDR of supposedly a rip of the cassette (which only had 11 tracks) that I inadvertently leaked; thinking the exact same thing as Rook did. Rephlex stepped in to educate me.

which ones?

are you saying that Joyrex is responsible for the Melodies From Mars leak?

Partially - I was responsible for the first decent quality leak of 11 of the tracks.

i think he did and got in trouble for it, but that's not where the leak came from originally.

Exactly. The person who actually made the RealAudio samples of one of the original cassette shall remain nameless.

i think he did and got in trouble for it, but that's not where the leak came from originally.

Exactly. The person who actually made the RealAudio samples of one of the original cassette shall remain nameless.

So how did the remaining tracks make it into circulation? Same person who made the RA samples? Which 2 tracks where not on the copy you received? Where both Fingerbib and Logan Rock demos on your version?

i was just listening to the "Q-Chastic EP" supposedly and I think its great.. I've heard track C1 somewhere before..

so is it or isn't it?

isn't. there is only 1 Q-Chastic track available and that is CAT002 on the ART compilation. this isn't on the Q-Chastic EP though apparently. nobody knows what the 4 tracks on the EP sounds like apart from a few Rephlex peeps.

all the leaks on teh interwebs are FAKES.

So how did the remaining tracks make it into circulation? Same person who made the RA samples? Which 2 tracks where not on the copy you received? Where both Fingerbib and Logan Rock demos on your version?

I have a table comparing my version versus the 'proper' version (I did that at the time to clear up any confusion about what the correct times and order the tracks should be in) that I'll have to dig out. I have no idea who ended up leaking the "proper" version. I've got an original cassette, but for the life of me I can't find the CD rip of it I made - and I don't have a tape deck anymore to play it!

apparently it doesn't matter what your Q-Chastic sounds like, it's still a fake.

i bet joyrex secretly has it...

Nah, wish I did - when I was in touch with Richard, he said he didn't even have the test pressings anymore - the only copy he knows of is on DAT stored at his parent's house in *****. I highly doubt that it will ever see the light of day; there was a reason they decided to go with the Bradley's Beat stuff over this, after all!

Archived