IGNORED

Laptop ?

RichieBees

Basically my desktop keeps spakking out and its pretty old so i was thinking of getting a laptop. basically enough to run ableton and stuff so does anyone have any thoughts on which ones i should look at?

much thanks :)

• 2 years later...
Guest Drahken

I have a Toshiba Satellite. Solid laptop, no driver issues, can run a assload of VST's without issue (3 instances of Krypt at once!). Only cost me around $800 before rebates. Soundcard is crap but I use an external one anyways. VAIO is nice but over priced and loaded with media crap you don't really need. Dell laptops bite. Don't even think about compaq/gateway. I've heard good things about ASUS laptops but never used one myself.

Just be sure you get at least 3 gigs of ram and a dual core processor.

sony vaio

not to sound mean or anything, but I hate when someone throws out "sony vaio" without a model type. There's like umpteen billion different vaio models and 90% of them are total crap with maximum bloatware. If I didn't have to work, maybe I'd spend an 8 hour day going through their ridiculous list of laptops and compare them. /sigh

my dell lattitude d620 has served me very well the past few years. i'm a fan of the dell lattitudes, but not inspiron's.

dell's xps models are decent as well.

There are some decent HP's out there like the DV series.

These days though one can get a really decent machine for so damn cheap with comparable specs all around that it more or less comes down to the design, construction, and aethetics more so than the hardware.

If anything: I'd just be sure it has:

2.xghz c2d

3gigs RAM (2 is fine, 3 is great, 4 is peace of mind)

Several USB ports (3-4 at least)

Firewire is possible

I just picked up an Asus laptop with a dual core 2.25ghz cpu and 4gb of ram for about $900, it's nice and speedy. Has 5 USB2 ports. I like it so far, but vista sucks my balls. I'm really thinking about going back to xp... I'm dual booting ubuntu for now anyway. You can get some crazy good deals on laptops.

Guest babamut
sony vaio

not to sound mean or anything, but I hate when someone throws out "sony vaio" without a model type. There's like umpteen billion different vaio models and 90% of them are total crap with maximum bloatware. If I didn't have to work, maybe I'd spend an 8 hour day going through their ridiculous list of laptops and compare them. /sigh

my dell lattitude d620 has served me very well the past few years. i'm a fan of the dell lattitudes, but not inspiron's.

These days though one can get a really decent machine for so damn cheap with comparable specs all around that it more or less comes down to the design, construction, and aethetics more so than the hardware.

2.xghz c2d

Firewire is possible

VGN FW 35 X,it's mine,and not a crap

Thank's for your cunt and redneck reactions,nothing else?

Yeah, Toshiba Satellites are very decent and have a good price/performance ratio. I've a 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU with

3 Gigs of RAM, got my laptop for about 700 euros back in August or so.

Don't know how things will be in 2006 though.

sony vaio

2.xghz c2d

Firewire if possible

VGN FW 35 X,it's mine,and not a crap

Thank's for your cunt and redneck reactions,nothing else?

take things far too personally much?. redneck reaction? yur a fkn idiot.

if yur's insn't crap...then it evidently falls within the 10% of non-crap vaio's where i said 90% are. can you fucking read? did i say your's in particular is crap? I deal with many many laptops every day at work and at home... so your ignorance in your response to my post just show's your ignorance.

you've obviously got some personal insecurities and issues you need to deal with before you can read other people's opinion's and suggestions. gl with that and fuck you very much. =)

Guest JohnTqs
I have a Toshiba Satellite. Solid laptop, no driver issues, can run a assload of VST's without issue (3 instances of Krypt at once!). Only cost me around $800 before rebates. Soundcard is crap but I use an external one anyways. VAIO is nice but over priced and loaded with media crap you don't really need. Dell laptops bite. Don't even think about compaq/gateway. I've heard good things about ASUS laptops but never used one myself.

is this the one you have?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.t...utm_medium=Feed

this looks really good for the price, and i've been thinking about getting a laptop. i noticed that the HD speed is 5400 and i've read it should be 7200. is 5400 what you have?

Guest Drahken

Mine is a A205 something or other, but its more or less the same specs. Mine is 5400 I believe, hasn't been an issue. I can't think of any instances where I've had too many samples running at once my HD couldn't keep up. I've always been under the impression that that was more of an issue with DAWs that need to record multiple tracks at once or your mastering a track and split every last hat and snare into its own signal.

edit: Forgot to add that adding another HD is pretty easy to do.

Guest JohnTqs
Mine is a A205 something or other, but its more or less the same specs. Mine is 5400 I believe, hasn't been an issue. I can't think of any instances where I've had too many samples running at once my HD couldn't keep up. I've always been under the impression that that was more of an issue with DAWs that need to record multiple tracks at once or your mastering a track and split every last hat and snare into its own signal.

edit: Forgot to add that adding another HD is pretty easy to do.

cool. would you recommend it for playing live? probably using ableton live 8

The best choices for the moment are apple and asus, i used to haved an asus computer in 2003 upgraded it for about 800$ and i can still play crysis on it

in a couple of years when apple slumps down in a hiatus, sony will be the better pick.

• 1 month later...

I considered getting an apple before I finally got my asus. I just cant justify dropping so much $ when I know I can get the same hardware so much cheaper. I would still really like to get one someday though...

why not dell? i'm in the market as well and was going to get an inspiron

Guest Drahken

Had nothing but issues with them. Might just be my personal experiences. There was a time when I loved Dell to death but that was several years ago. Almost every Dell I've ever purchased since then has had BSOD issues with audio apps that required tracking down audio drivers. I've had a few die or have hard drive failure. Had one's LCD fritz out after six months. Their repair services are stupid...They sent me back the one with the LCD problem without even opening the box the first time, wasting a number of weeks playing box tag.

Unfortunately thats about the only company my boss will spend money on, so I've probably had more negative experiences than most.

Had nothing but issues with them. Might just be my personal experiences. There was a time when I loved Dell to death but that was several years ago. Almost every Dell I've ever purchased since then has had BSOD issues with audio apps that required tracking down audio drivers. I've had a few die or have hard drive failure. Had one's LCD fritz out after six months. Their repair services are stupid...They sent me back the one with the LCD problem without even opening the box the first time, wasting a number of weeks playing box tag.

Unfortunately thats about the only company my boss will spend money on, so I've probably had more negative experiences than most.

i was interested in dell because of the value, price/quantity of quality. anyways, what company should i look into? i only want to spend around 500-550 Canadian

ch-ch-cheers

Guest Drahken

If you want something cheap they are definately better than gateway or compaq so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you want something cheap they are definately better than gateway or compaq so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

cool man

yeah i went to the local computer place and i couldn't find anything for less than 800. that's reassuring about dell

Archived