IGNORED

SAW2 should be listened to...

Guest freefall

I had it set as my alarm clock on random for almost 2 years straight

i read this as you had your alarm clock set on random for 2 years, and i was like, wow that's hardcore lol

lol!

Guest Davey666

SAW2 should be listened to:

Looped, in headphones, on an overnight transatlantic flight from NYC to Rome when you're the only one (barely) awake on the plane, but then you fall asleep anyway and the music just keeps playing all night in your ears until you land.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

didn't some other famous Ambient Dude* do something like that? Music for planes? Brian Eno, I think?

*this is a technical term

Guest Glass Plate

i read this as you had your alarm clock set on random for 2 years, and i was like, wow that's hardcore lol

yeah I did too, and I was like "fuck, you can do that?"

Guest Caustic

shit,i want a clock with a random setting.

Breakcore alarm clock.

SAW2 should be listened to:

Looped, in headphones, on an overnight transatlantic flight from NYC to Rome when you're the only one (barely) awake on the plane, but then you fall asleep anyway and the music just keeps playing all night in your ears until you land.

niice.

Breakcore alarm clock.

Lol, holy shit. I'm going to rip apart my alarm clock and make it go off at random. How electronic music is that.

Guest Caustic

Breakcore alarm clock.

Lol, holy shit. I'm going to rip apart my alarm clock and make it go off at random. How electronic music is that.

is it possible to circuit bend an alarm clock? cause that would be soooooo electronic music.

Guest dickhardy
loud/quiet/on headphones/on tannoy speakers/in the car/while eating/during sex/all of the above?

discuss/argue/flame

Funny why do you say tannoy speakers?

I happen to own tannoy speakers and saw2 does indeed sound great on them (preferably louuud)

Btw I recently found out on which synth saw2 was made.

I mean completely made inc effects.

Its a digital workstation lol there's not a single analogue sound on saw2 :)

Guest dickhardy
right

what about the cs-5?

I don't hear a cs5.

Tell me which sound you think is a cs5 and I might be able to tell you how it was made.

Guest dickhardy
i'm no synth expert... i just thought that the cs5 must've had some significance to the album because that's what the liner is etched on.

but yeah, they had all-in-one digital work stations in the early 90s?

Yes they did :)

I didn't know that about the cs5 in the artwork.

Where exactly can i find it?

Searching for the cd cover now but can't find it yet place is a mess.

Guest dickhardy

I'm still thinking about wether to tell or not.

I mean, I think he should tell himself, and help people make music. Gear does matter offcourse.

But maybe he's afraid of people copying his music, or that it'll take something special out of the music once people know how it was made.

I think there's truth in both. If I tell here which synthesizer was used, there will probably be someone who's going to make a very obvious copy.

And if many people start doing that, this will make saw2 stand out less, and less special to more casual listeners?

But on the other hand, should I give a fuck? hehe

I praise Wendy Carlos's aproach of just sharing all info. No childish secrecy.

If everybody did this there would highly likely be more good music.

So where's my loyalty?

To Aphex for having created this magic music, or to good music in general and ppl strugling to find the right gear to make their art?

I think it's the latter one, and I'll probably tell :)

But I have to sleep on it a few more nights :sleeping:

Guest dickhardy

No I don't agree, I feel like a large part of the sound is in the synth and sounddesign.

Just putting sounds thru any filter or eq as you suggest with lots of delay won't come close imho.

Also was glad to find which was the reverb as it is quite distinct from other reverbs.

(tried many, none give the same effect)

And the big secret feel is because aphex never tells his equipment and this one was especially hard to guess.

I have been searching for it for many many years so I guess that also makes it kinda hard for me to just post it here while it took me so much effort and pain (money) to find.

But anyhow I'm just gonna tell :)

I guess my previous post made it clear for me allready.

:arrow: It's the Yamaha SY99

(which makes the reverb/delays/effects a spx1000 of which there are 2 in the sy99)

Guest dickhardy
hmmm, it'd be interesting to hear a few snippets of what makes this the sound of SAWII.

I'll post a few sounds in about a week or so.

Right now don't have anything hooked up to my puter, rebuilding my studio after a half-year break.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
half-year break.

how many times did you have to pitchshift it down?

post pics when its assembled.

Guest freefall
loud/quiet/on headphones/on tannoy speakers/in the car/while eating/during sex/all of the above?

discuss/argue/flame

Funny why do you say tannoy speakers?

I happen to own tannoy speakers and saw2 does indeed sound great on them (preferably louuud)

Btw I recently found out on which synth saw2 was made.

I mean completely made inc effects.

Its a digital workstation lol there's not a single analogue sound on saw2 :)

tannoy because having been somewhat of an audiophile since started being involved in running a soundsystem about 10 years ago I find they are the best loudspeakers normal money can buy (ie without paying for things like nordost or naim).

This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own I didn't expect so many responses. Weetabix - Yes I am really from French Polynesia though I am of British descent and now resident in Spain France and England at various times. My personal favourite way of listening to it is those in the question. It makes good breakfast music. It was playing when my daughter was conceived. I listen to it in the car after a particularly hard day at work.

I find it difficult to believe it was made on one workstation as well. Particularly given equipment lists Aphex has mentioned in interviews for SAW8592 and his Caustic Window/Afx releases. How can you be so sure?

what equipment lists? Dickhardy has been missing. I tried to contact him. Must be busy. i think Dickhardy sought out all the microtonal poly synths he could find. Since Saw2 is microtonal. trial and error. The effects soud digital to me too. Especially the delay as its perfect copys. The reverb sounds a little grainy but nice. Its possible. Rich loved to take the piss in interviews too.

Archived