IGNORED

DUBSTEP::::::::::

Atop

spukkin faceship (great guy from spaz, a renegade sound system collective out here), nommo ogo (not dubstep but they reside in the bay great electronic music), kush arora has been wokring out here for a while too, his earlier stuff (which he was doing out here before almost any other producer) is much more grimeish and even kind of industrial , the new sutff much closer to actual dubstep. Also for dj sets mixes, Dj Ripley is pretty awesome.

edit: just remembered this other guy Sub Swara who kush just has been telling me about for a while, until recently his stuff didn't float my boat but he just put out a few really crazy new tracks that i love. just realized hes in NY not SF, but check him out anyway if you havent

Edited by Awepittance

so Nommo Ogo are based in SF now?

We have discussed them before...

and I love the record they have on your label!

H.A.A.R.P. Musick is a classic...

will check out Spukkin Faceship....

Guest pantsonmyhead

GIT HER DONE MAN!

Lots of good music out of the Bay Area imo: Roommate, Antiserum, Matty G, Djunya, Babylon System, Quest, Juju.....

who else should I know about?

Lazer Sword, Schlomo, Benito, B. Bravo, Salva, Sleepyhead, Mimosa, Broken Figures

DJ's Bogl and Dials are well worth mentioning too

yeah nommo ogo have imo carved out one of the best underground scenes the east bay area (outside SF) has had in a while mostly in the last 2-3 years. The Katabatik parties used to be relatively small but recently they have kind of blown up , which is awesome for how avant-garde and dark the music usually is (ie: entire dj sets comprised of caberet voltair and john carpenter). if you havent already check out 'the Sea Finally Surfaces' , it was one of the last records out on Isolate i highly recommend it.

edit: unfortunately the 'home' for Katanexus, their monthly is not really usable anymore so they are looking for a new location at the moment. Although this last place i posted that Dubstep show link for, the Bordello is an absolutely ridiculous Winchester Mystery house on mushrooms type of venue. I've never seen anything like it before, i hope they keep doing parties there.

Edited by Awepittance

Guest pantsonmyhead

GIT HER DONE MAN!

Lots of good music out of the Bay Area imo: Roommate, Antiserum, Matty G, Djunya, Babylon System, Quest, Juju.....

Lazer Sword, Schlomo, Benito, B. Bravo, Salva, Sleepyhead, Mimosa, Broken Figures

NTRLD <- can't beleive i forgot these guys

if i have someone to go with next time ill check out one of those redline parties , do you know of anything like that coming up Jasper?

im surprised its taking people that long to start taking massive dubstep parties outside of clubs (and more into the renegade or unpermitted format) here in the bay area, but on the same token i don't pay too close attention to the scene so ive likely been missing them for quite some time

Edited by Awepittance

yeah nommo ogo have imo carved out one of the best underground scenes the east bay area (outside SF) has had in a while mostly in the last 2-3 years. The Katabatik parties used to be relatively small but recently they have kind of blown up , which is awesome for how avant-garde and dark the music usually is (ie: entire dj sets comprised of caberet voltair and john carpenter). if you havent already check out 'the Sea Finally Surfaces' , it was one of the last records out on Isolate i highly recommend it.

edit: unfortunately the 'home' for Katanexus, their monthly is not really usable anymore so they are looking for a new location at the moment. Although this last place i posted that Dubstep show link for, the Bordello is an absolutely ridiculous Winchester Mystery house on mushrooms type of venue. I've never seen anything like it before, i hope they keep doing parties there.

Sounds like amazing fun....CV and John Carpenter, hehehe awesome!

GIT HER DONE MAN!

NTRLD <- can't beleive i forgot these guys

Thank you sir, will be getting on these....have heard Mimosa and I dig, and Lazer Sword, might need to take a second glance...

Guest pantsonmyhead

check out Low Limit(of lazersword) "Treaper Keeper"

some times Lazer Sword can be a little to Ed Banger for some but their live show is amazing

And Def Check Salva and B.Bravo, label mates of mine

also as previously stated EPROM is amazing

i haven't been to any of the redline parties but NTRLD and I are playing at the B.O.C. dec 3rd for a gods girls shindig (yay tattoed tittys)

edit: personally loving the soundsystem at mighty these days..truly epic and they stay open till 3 a.m. most nights

Edited by pantsonmyhead

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what you are talking about..... :wink:

being of Scottish decent made me have to edit the post....

gettin' yo tune right now!

BIG UP YO!

Nickodemus remix by Kush Arora now on the front page of urb magazine

http://www.urb.com/2009/11/17/nickodemus-2-sips-magic-kush-arora-remix-x-remix-album/

full track streaming there... Nickodemus “2 Sips & Magic (Kush Arora Remix)”

Edited by Awepittance

Guest greenbank

good shit (have more than 2 killer tracks or a generally good shite:awesome ratio) - reso, emalkay, 16-bit, taz buckfaster, cardopusher, sukh knight, rustie, zomby, loops haunt, skream, joker, starkey, rusko, distance, vex'd.

boring pish that i cannae stand - 2562, martyn, burial, appleblim, any of the more techno styled stuff, almost all vocal stuff, most stuff that boomkat raves about, a zillion others that aren't worth even noting the names of. oh, and as with most genres anything minimal is shite.

i reckon that some of the new stuff by the dubstep crowd is actually pretty exciting, finally some new electronic that's both reasonably popular & doesn't suck! also good to see scotland representing more than usual, still hate that shite-peddlar hudson mohawke though! and there's no east coast production talent to speak of except loops haunt but his best stuff is way too slow to be dubstep.

there are a few good club nights here in edinburgh that are hugely popular & have a decent 50-50 split on crowd gender which is a refreshing change, i've spent so much time wedged in a tiny venue with 20 other blokes over the last 12yrs trying to hear anything vaguely decent that it's awesome to go out and be with 300 folk raving their tits off to tunes i actually like.

i've only really made one or two dubsteppy tracks myself and i'm not going to be doing a full switch from previous styles or anything but i might be playing some other folks stuff around town soon.

edit; im really enjoying 'loops haunt' as well, thanks for the recommendation. It's refreshing to see so many new producers focusing so much on sound design in their electronic music. I know im not the first to say this but i really genuinely feel electronic music is turning a corner for the better right now!

Yeah, I got on to loops haunt the other day through a random mix I was listening to. Decided to check out more and there is some really great stuff. Found this nice little mini mix of his tunes here for anyone interested:

http://www.rhythm-incursions.com/2009/08/04/loops-haunt-mini-mix/

His myspace is saying that he's at BLOC this year too!!

haven't been in this thread for a long time so i thought i'd check out the latest recommendations to see if anybody had posted a decent track yet and i figured a combination of kaini and souljazz would be a decent place to look

but this one is particularly boring... it has absolutely nothing. i know not all music is for everyone and some people will scratch their heads and frown when i put on some basic channel or mille plateaux type stuff... but i just cannot for the life of me understand what could appeal about this one ... absolutely rubbish for dance floors... way too uninteresting for home or headphone listening. the 100 billionth time i've heard that bassline. some corny as fuck vocal samples. exraordinarily lazy arrangements.... i think the ratio of decent tracks to tracks ever made in the dubstep genre could be lower than any other genre ever (including drum and bass which has been stagnant and devoid of invention for over a decade)

good shit (have more than 2 killer tracks or a generally good shite:awesome ratio) - reso, emalkay, 16-bit, taz buckfaster, cardopusher, sukh knight, rustie, zomby, loops haunt, skream, joker, starkey, rusko, distance, vex'd.

boring pish that i cannae stand - 2562, martyn, burial, appleblim, any of the more techno styled stuff, almost all vocal stuff, most stuff that boomkat raves about, a zillion others that aren't worth even noting the names of. oh, and as with most genres anything minimal is shite.

i reckon that some of the new stuff by the dubstep crowd is actually pretty exciting, finally some new electronic that's both reasonably popular & doesn't suck! also good to see scotland representing more than usual, still hate that shite-peddlar hudson mohawke though! and there's no east coast production talent to speak of except loops haunt but his best stuff is way too slow to be dubstep.

there are a few good club nights here in edinburgh that are hugely popular & have a decent 50-50 split on crowd gender which is a refreshing change, i've spent so much time wedged in a tiny venue with 20 other blokes over the last 12yrs trying to hear anything vaguely decent that it's awesome to go out and be with 300 folk raving their tits off to tunes i actually like.

i've only really made one or two dubsteppy tracks myself and i'm not going to be doing a full switch from previous styles or anything but i might be playing some other folks stuff around town soon.

I remember the last time we talked on soulseek, years back, you were raving on how much you love Four Tet's hippie folk guitar sampling techniques and about guitars in general....

Now Kieran is making house music!

Exciting!

seriously, 16bit and the rest that you named, plus many more (Ultrablack, Trill Bass, Bro Safari, Siren, 501, Killeralien, b1t crunch3r, Ganja White Night to name a few more) are some of my favourites but a whole set of that style of dubstep kills folks who can't handle it....

at least 2562, Martyn, FBOM, VVV, Untold, Appleblim and many others in the 'minimal' dubstep realm are making semi-idmesque music, and help keep the ebb and flow of a set going,

unlike the shit that most of the hipsters are loving, minimal house, with just a kick drum and one keyboard line with three notes arpeggiating in it.....this thread: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/50866-does-anyone-on-this-forum-actually-listen-to-minimalother-techno-house/

there is no comparison between that kind of 'minimal tech house shite' and the housey dubstep....

(Al Tourettes on Apple Pips, Appleblim's label, is idm as fuck! I don't get the Appleblim hatred, probably too hippie for ya I guess, hehehe)

I have seen fuckers here in Austin dance to one kick drum for hours stright, I nearly killed myself in front of them to forever put a horrific image into their pysche and help make everyone in the room hate listening to solo kick drums....

I now just leave instead.....

fucking everywhere here...

lots of dubstep nights though as well, with tons of chicks humping the walls when the bass gets rolling...

and I love it....

Let's hear some Greenbank step, talked about it with you as well, I remember you were apprehensive about doing it and would love to hear what you have done...

Guest pantsonmyhead

fucking everywhere here...

lots of dubstep nights though as well, with tons of chicks humping the walls when the bass gets rolling...

and I love it....

haha

i was just looking at my myspace stats the other day and texas is tied for 3rd with colorado for states i get the most hits from an i was in shock/love

austin is a dope town, will more than likely be moseying that way next march challah