IGNORED

Which would you get

mcbpete

So yeah, as a continuation of that other thread I did I'm gonna be getting me a MIDI keyboard. I'm a bit strapped for cash but I've found two that have taken my fancy:

1) M-Audio Oxygen 49 (£79.99)

Oxy49_top-139ca51df02d1fed1fa5e6bee3a186

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/5743

2) CME UF5 (£114.99)

UF5-front-bb82ad438d1faad03d2f12e784f81e

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/5743

Which one would you get. On the CME UF5, it looks like it has fewer programmable buttons, although the buttons that have some sort of function already on them (eg, Program, Transpose etc.) would I be able to assign them to any other function.

So yeah, what'cho think. The M-Audio is kinda cheaper looking, but has more user programmable features (possibly) and the CME looks quite nicely built. Or is there another option around the

well, I can't stand the oxygen series. They feel so cheap to me.

The UFs are probably the best feeling keyboards I've played, but I heard they are buggy. We had a brand new one here at work, and had to send it back for major problems (every A played both A and G#, and every C played C and C#. There was no way to fix it... it was a fucked board or something. I also heard that in general they are kind of unstable, which is a shame, because they really do feel great.

I don't know... its a tough choice. I know this more out of your price range, but the novations SL series is really nice... nice keyboard action, and of course updating LCD screens, although I found the fader/knob response in logic to be a little slow (like you had to shake a knob before it responded... but I think this was just a logic problem., cause I tried it with some stand alone softsynths, and didnt have this problem.

I don't know... there is no perfect controller out there... I really just advise you try to find as many as you can at music shops to mess with and see what feels right.

Man, the Novastation SL Keyboard series looks ace. I wish I could afford something like that....

Another option (although again it looks kinda cheap), for me is the Edirol PCR M50 (£120.00):

pcrm50_diagonal-7045cd4268a131afe0550afc

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/5478

Looks slightly more sturdy that the M-Audio one, but doesn't quite look as good as the CME. But yeah, Kcinsu, the build quality of the CME is the main thing I'm concerned about. I've read a few reviews where people have been having problems with it (damaged LCD indicators, glitchy midi data transmission, stuck keys etc.). It's a shame though as it does look mighty fine.

How abouts the M-Audio Axiom (£164):

Axiom49_top-4c514940dc810044c1da96999468

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/8134

Hmm, I've read good reviews and bad reviews. Gaah, I'm at such a loose end. They all look good on paper (especially the CME) but I've read such a mixture of reviews both good and bad of all of them that I really haven't got a clue what to go for....

What I really need is a good solid keyboard, with quite a few sliders, dials and trigger buttons. That ain't shittily built and is somewhere 'tween £100 - £200. Dagnammit this is tougher than I first thought.

I hate the axiom. They really feel like toys. We have one in one of the labs I work in, and so I use it about once a week. It looks good on paper, but having used one fairly often at work, I can say its a piece of crap. I feel like Im going to break it every time I touch it.

Dang, another one to scrub off the list then. Cheers for the advice man, this whole thing seems like a mine field, it seems bloody tough to find a decent sub-£200 41-key midi controller....

Novation Remote SL

Read about universal automap then save up some money. In the meantime use a computer keyboard-to-midi vst

Does the Novation Remote SL have aftertouch?

Yes it does

Seems like a useful feature, unlike automap since I only need the hands on midi input for one or two VSTis that I can configure my self.

Aftertouch more useful then automap? You do realize that not only does it eliminate the whole binding to cc thing every time you make a song, but also places the name of the parameter in the LED's above the knob. You also can change the min/max step size interpolation values per parameter if your heart so desires to much the same way reaktor works, and can map to outboard gear?

I understand that within computer music, some features seem more important to others, some people find things like rewire absolutly essential, however I think the ability to open a synth and play with it like a hardware unit and not have to much thru menus on an led screen just do the important stuff with your mouse is essential. Certainly more useful then aftertouch, however you much use aftertouch a bit more then I could imagine

I'm considering the Axiom actually, I don't feel like paying over $300 for a controller since keyboards are only a convenience thing for me, I don't play them like an instrument, but rather stab combinations of notes together to see how they get along. I don't see a reason to pay extra for a midi stage piano at this point. I think the easy access to transport buttons, and being able to run a midi loop while I hit whatever I see fit in the same key is pretty nice.

Oh and I doubt the Axiom is that bad. Yeah I had a Keystation and it felt like it was made out of knockoff Lego blocks by that one Checkoslovakian company, but it was still solid enough for my infantfingers. I don't think anyone is expecting a Bechstein for $200.

I had the same train of thought and started a thread months ago reguarding buying an axiom, but I don't think there has been one product that m-audio has made that didn't feel like a toy due to the low quality parts they use. You get what you pay for. You can however buy something primitive like this and use the controller like you said, but I'm glad i got a 25 key remote as I find myself using the things I didn't think I would (such as the sliders, xy pad, transport buttons, and drum pads).

Plus I hate "musicianship". If I could stick a MIDI cord up my cat's ass and squeeze him in G Minor, I'd prefer that over a keyboard.

Then what would be the point of having an Axiom?

Guest mooncup

i'm about to buy myself another edirol. i sold my pcr-80 when i moved and am now gonna get the 30 instead. its the only keyboard make i've ever tried but i loved my first.

if you like you can wait a month and i'll tell you how it is. i'm ordering it when i get my cheque on monday/tuesday

Isn't Edirol the shitty division of Roland that cuts corners?

Not that I have any use for a controller keyboard so Im not sure how their quality would be, I just remember hearing that so I will repeat the slander without fact checking or verfying, just as if I were in a conversation.

the axioms are nice.

i recently disassembled a radium 49 and needed a replacement. i almost shelled out the cash for the novation 61sl, but went for the axiom in the end.

yes, the novations feel the best of the controllers i've tried (which is subjective, of course), but they are tremendously overpriced compared to other solutions. additionally, the drum pads on the SLs are a bit small and unwieldy for me.

i picked up the axiom 61 and i've been very happy with it. the only annoyances are the detented knobs (i don't like zippery knobs when i'm trying to automate stuff like filter sweeps), and... well.. that's it.

the drum pads are REALLY nice on the axioms. adjustable, but by default nice and stiff, requiring a decent thump to get going. although i have a padkontrol as well, i often just reach over to the axiom pads.

CME is yamaha, keep that in mind. i've seen more CME controllers thrown angrily around and cursed than any other.

i guess that's all.

love,

c

The Novation looks bloody good, but it's waaaay out my budget (almost double the price I'm looking for a MIDI keyboard controller). At the moment I seem to be tied between the Axiom and Orubasarot's Edirol PCR-300 suggestion.

pete - go with the Edirol if you can't stretch to the Remote SL or gthe UFO. (would take both of those over all others inc Edirol, if you can afford...the UF-5 is a great controller, build quality is exceptional.)

We got an Axiom-49 and it packed in after 3 mths. Just freezes when you switch it on. Gubbed.

Avoid!

korg are nice althought the rotary dials are i bit wanky

anything to do with m-audio is shite build quality

the cme sucks ass as well

the edirol is boss, i've got 2

Guest blicero
The Novation looks bloody good, but it's waaaay out my budget (almost double the price I'm looking for a MIDI keyboard controller).

that is what the Novation is.

they make a variety of models at varying prices.

$99:

418001.jpg

i'd pay $99 for the joystick and x/y touchpad alone.

I need slidey slidey sliders which unfortunately the Novations don't have until you get into the expensive region. At the moment the PCR 500 is looking like the most favourable to me. Thanks everyone so much for their input. God bless le WATMMMMMM

As an aside, check out this fucking awful video for the Edirol keyboard: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...mp;ParentId=114 (press the video button)

Is that really how you want to advertise your products, with super shitty atonal aquantised twaddle ?!

I need slidey slidey sliders which unfortunately the Novations don't have until you get into the expensive region. At the moment the PCR 500 is looking like the most favourable to me. Thanks everyone so much for their input. God bless le WATMMMMMM

As an aside, check out this fucking awful video for the Edirol keyboard: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...mp;ParentId=114 (press the video button)

Is that really how you want to advertise your products, with super shitty atonal aquantised twaddle ?!

i like the crossfader... but by gawd, where did that man learn to twist knobs, did it like proper fruit cake, secondly, who would be impressed by that lame ass song.

Guest blicero
I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not really willing to buy anything in silver anyway, I wouldn't want to offend my cats.

hahahaha UR SO GAY!

It's awesomely bad innit. I aint bought it yet, I'm very much tempted to get the Edirol PCR-500, plus a shop that sells it is nearby so I can pick it up sans postage costs or fear that the bastard thing will get lost in the posterypost.

Archived