IGNORED

massive ????

Guest pantsonmyhead

What is it about massive that you like? I just sounded pretty.. blah to me. Not bad, but not worth the CPU hit and price.

I'm running a core2duo, and I have an evaluation copy, so thats not a consideration. I like the clear precise 'NI' sound. I often hear synths that are supposed to have that 'analogue warmth' or 'fatness' try too hard, sort of smear the sound, and sound crap without the internal effects. I also like my synths simple, with the signal path laid out in a logical manner. Obviously that becomes more difficult when you have complex wavetable type synths with lots of mod options, but I like the massive UI and the way it handles it.

I dont like that it doesnt show values.

on the one hand I understand their thinking... to get people to use their ears more...

...but on the other hand, there is definately times when I want to know exactly the value Im putting in.

also, its just such a CPU hog. I made a patch in it that took up half my processer... HALF. On a quad....

Guest pantsonmyhead

thanks

you guys need more ram

massive sounds greatIMO

good modulation control

could do with some more wavetables but on the whole it's the most usable thing i've gotten from NI

besides the really dumb name and usual shit marketing around it, i really like it (i don't think it can possibly live up to the hype that they built up around). very useable and very to the point. sounds great too. start with a new sound and turn on the feedback to the maximum, that really sounds like feedback - like something is breaking. it also has phase modulation, something you don't really see often (havent seen a good implementation until now). you can remake classic adlib/soundblaster fm sounds with that (yamaha opl fm was actually pm). also, as stupid as it sounds, synths that start up with a basic sound have a plus for me. you don't get lost in browsing through presets but stick with the idea.

cool that NI finally released something nice again i'd say! it's like fm7's dirty cousin.

btw. there's a switch on there with which you can lower the cpu usage. oversampling is on by default.

Omfg....

I hope anyone who throws some opinion of Massive has at least explored its modulations capabilities.

I hope the lot of people try it out, flip thru the presets, and uninstall it sounds too much like Reaktor. Its esoteric capabilities to me seem endless.

Archived