IGNORED

What cheap synth should I get next

Josso

what are you still doing here, you could be a clavia salesman!

really, if anyone is still doubting whether to buy a nord modular or not, i'd advise them to take a look at the table of contents of this online book:

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodula...m_book_toc.html

i wish i had a nord back when i started learning about sound synthesis :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It can do almost anything aside from sampling

the g2 can do sampling, although I think it's limited by the maximum delay you can do on the delay module.

I've been meaning to chain a few of them together and see if i can extended it..

looks like we need a nord modular subforum. yeah, and a sh-101 subforum.

if you're deciding on a next synth, first decide mono or poly.

so you're getting a sh-101, that should cover the basic monosynth need. it's just single OSC so eventually you're going to need some fatter monosynth, but for now i'd say you need a versatile poly. if analogue is your thing, and you want an 80s synth then Roland JX-3P would be a good choice. 80s hybrid (2DCO + analogue filters and VCAs) 6-voice poly, it does have roland character but it's not as limited as say a juno-106. with the money you can get a jx-3p AND another cheap poly, Korg POLY-800. another very interesting and cheap hybrid synth, can do a wide range of sounds, has 3 separate envelopes! only single (analogue) filter for all 8 voices though, but it's definitely got character. as someone already said, add a moogslayer mod to it and it's a really really really powerful synth for unreasonable low price.

Well I would off course need to make the patches with the computer. It obviously takes up a lot less space and is cheaper than a real modular synthesizer that could do anything even close to what the nord does.

But I am pretty sure I can sequence the nord through my monomachine. I am not sure if I would want to do that though.

You can load up to 99 patches on the Micro Modular and I think more on the Full Modular. 18 knobs and 18 buttons means you could literally re-create the x0x style sequencer on the Nord and take it with you. You can also asign midi cc's to whaever parameters you want so you could have your favorite MIDI controller act as your hands on remote surface, you only need the PC for designing patches and uploading them to the Modular.

It can do almost anything aside from sampling

the g2 can do sampling, although I think it's limited by the maximum delay you can do on the delay module.

I've been meaning to chain a few of them together and see if i can extended it..

The G1 can do sampling as well, in a very strange way using a utility to convert a wav into steps on the control sequencer modules and then stack like 200 of them in a row, with an audio-rate pulse osc triggering them. It sounds very... fucked up. But it is technically sampling, I just never mention it because it's of very limited appeal.

Ok I just won the bid for an Alpha Juno 2 off Ebay, thanks for everyones advice but in the end I listened to some more demo's of the Juno 2 and I really love that early 90s sound... I hear echo's of Prodigy and The Tuss strangely.

yep they're both good machines (well, the poly800 only with moogslayer mod),.... if i had 400$ and wanted that kind of 20 yo analog woolyness i'd get a dw8000/poly800 plus a jx3p (+ small bbd unit) for sure

Archived