Guest The Vidiot

Guest arcanum

Class Warfare - noam chomsky

eh

Ulysses - james joyce [still]

Tibetan Book of the Dead [kind of]

and random crap online about self actualization / maharshi

and maybe A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

You are either very intelligent or a pretentious douchebag. Probably both, but good luck with Ulysses man.

Guest arcanum

But then again, I'm reading Goethe.

I guess I should have said "That's quite a list you have there. Looks interesting." instead of being a dick. Sorry about that.

Guest Z_B_Z

i just read an article in the current issue of texas monthly called 'the lost boys' that completely bowled me over. really disturbed me. the focus of the piece is on a late 60s/early 70s texan serial killer named dean corll. i had previously read a book on the case but this article is much better, and much more informative than that cheap exploitative cash in. possibly the saddest, most fucked up crime spree ive ever heard about and so few people seem to be familiar with it. fascinating in the most horrible sense and completely heartbreaking. the article is currently under a paywall at the texas monthly site, but the entirety can be found here if anyones interested... scary shit: http://www.texasmonthly.com/cms/printthis.php?file=feature.php&issue=2011-04-01

Guest futuregirlfriend

I haven't read a book in about three years. Don't know why. Stopped about six pages into Trout Fishing in America. I'll read that tonight and then give this second-hand Fellini biography that I bought the other day look.

Guest Gbiscuit

i just read an article in the current issue of texas monthly called 'the lost boys' that completely bowled me over. really disturbed me. the focus of the piece is on a late 60s/early 70s texan serial killer named dean corll. i had previously read a book on the case but this article is much better, and much more informative than that cheap exploitative cash in. possibly the saddest, most fucked up crime spree ive ever heard about and so few people seem to be familiar with it. fascinating in the most horrible sense and completely heartbreaking. the article is currently under a paywall at the texas monthly site, but the entirety can be found here if anyones interested... scary shit: http://www.texasmonthly.com/cms/printthis.php?file=feature.php&issue=2011-04-01

Just finished this. Fuct.

Guest Z_B_Z

Just finished this. Fuct.

yeah, as sick as it gets.

i know this is the now reading thread, but it was seeing this clip that got me interested in the case.. ill leave this subject alone for now, as im sure most people dont want to think about this horrible shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-eJS6MIIa4

finished c.g jung's autobiography a few weeks ago. read some shorter stuff by mark twain (on the decay of the art of lying and the mysterious stranger -- both awesome, but the latter much more so). read some jules verne. now reading moby dick. also picked up a book of h.p lovecraft's stories.

Edited by luke viia

I'm starting this. It makes me happy and sad at the same time

david-foster-wallaces-pale-king-out-april-15-11222-1284562728-1.jpg

I didn't know this was out yet. Please review for me, I am so conflicted.

Guest dese manz hatin

wretched.jpg

60 pages into it. dont know what to think of it yet though....apart from the preface by jean-paul sartre. which was absolute shit.

edit: just saw that subheading there. oh lord :facepalm:

Edited by dese manz hatin

Guest Iain C

51KB9VYIpfL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

A wonderful book, inexplicably endorsed by Daniel Day-Lewis on the cover of my edition. It's an autobiography - Healy was a homeless alcoholic in London in the 1960s and this is a pitiless account of the violent, booze-sodden subculture he lived in. It's great!

Extracts here: http://www.thegrassarena.net/thegrassarena/excerpt/ga.html

One night I was sick. Awoke about 4 a.m. Big fat Tessa - Ginger Payne's woman - was lying beside me on the damp mattress, which had to some extent been dried by the combined heat of our bodies. Her face and nose bashed in. She has two very deep razor scars - one down each cheek - which she got from Ginger. I was fumbling in my pockets for a dog-end. She awoke...looked in her bag to see if she had been robbed during the night. She gets a few quid on the game. Things seemed to be in order. So she gave me a fag and a light. Pulled out a bottle of wine. What a delightful awakening! Drank the bottle between us. But it didn't cure me, it benefitted my companion more. Leaning over rummaging in her bag, she seemed to have become completely rejuvenated by it. Swiftly pulling out a shiny little mirror she began powdering her face, vigorously patting it over the badly stitched gashes on her battered cheeks. Then breathless from her efforts in the narrow light she turned towards me. Though she herself would have warded tenderness off with a broken bottle (if you tried to put it on her.) She put her arms round me, snuggling up, started kissing. I wasn't ready for this, had not thought about such a thing happening. All her snot and saliva going into my mouth and face. She started getting more sexy. Fuck this lark, I know God said love thy neighbour, but you couldn't when they were all full of snot and slobber. I could bear it no longer. Struggling to escape from under her, I saw Hogan up against the back wall, grinning, enjoying my discomfort. My efforts were making me breathless but I got out at last... Tessa shouting and screaming, full of passion still, but of a different hue, having accepted her hospitality I must now suffer for it. While Hogan roared with laughter.

Sitting in the park, thinking I'd like to be in bed with Sophia Loren. Maybe Hogan will put it about, say I'm a powder puff. The lads would fuck Tessa. They'd fuck anything, there's still a bit of lust left in the dust. I like attractive women, but attractive women don't fuck with park bench winos.

Ginger came out today; caught me pissed. Caught me with a bottle too. Needed stitches in my head. A few days later I caught him in the park, drunk. Broke his nose and kicked a couple of his ribs in - now we're even. Heard the Sham was in hospital; got run over by a lorry. He's lost the will to live; he's also lost an arm, poor cunt. He should do well begging though.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

I've been slowly working my way through the Scar Tissue, the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers... It's an interesting read so far, he had a really crazy life growing up to say the least.

despite not being a huge fan of the band i thoroughly enjoy this book a few years back.

looking for a book for my upcoming holiday. was thinking of getting stephen levy's hackers. not sure. haven't read a book in a while must confess