IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

"blah blah blah i was on ecstasy blah blah blah the darkness is getting more darkly blah blah blah tits"

-johnny truant

Actually, re: Truant, it probably helps to read the appendices when referenced in the main text so as not to hate him up until the very end.

Guest Iain C

continue reading man, you will understand

No, I think he already understands pretty well. House of Leaves is one of the most overrated books of our generation.

Guest Iain C

I think everyone should return to Vonnegut at least once a year. It's good for the soul.

oprahbookclub2.jpg

Ha, fair enough, that was a pretty dumb way of expressing myself. I find a great deal of consolation in Vonnegut's novels, though. He reminds me that you can be a cynic and still keep your humanity. He's such an incredibly moral writer, and after a few hours stuck in Slaughterhouse Five I feel stronger and reinvigorated.

continue reading man, you will understand

No, I think he already understands pretty well. House of Leaves is one of the most overrated books of our generation.

Johnny is just an unreliable narrator. Reading all the appendices that he references (Whalestoe Letters) is essential.

But to be fair, the Navidson report is really the main thing.

Guest Iain C

I rebought The Third Policeman (my old english teacher borrowed my copy and forgot to return it) and I also picked up a copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

Great novels.

I think everyone should return to Vonnegut at least once a year. It's good for the soul.

oprahbookclub2.jpg

Ha, fair enough, that was a pretty dumb way of expressing myself.

psh just a joke, and it's good advice—breakfast of champions has always been one of my favorites.

and regarding house of leaves, i feel like the ergodic literature style in this book comes off as a bit gimmicky at times. i don't think i've read too far through the book to hate truant yet, he's just pretty overindulgent.

Edited by KY

as we're discussing Vonnegut I'll mention that I'm currently reading Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds (Charles Mackay) which I discovered through Slaughterhouse V

Guest Iain C

as we're discussing Vonnegut I'll mention that I'm currently reading Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds (Charles Mackay) which I discovered through Slaughterhouse V

Yeah, I've actually got a copy of that on my desk at work that I flick through in idle moments.

It's really good, ended it last week. Can't beat Infinity Jest, but that's natural. It was a really sad read, because I knew this was the finality of his oeuvre. There will never be anything else after that, what a life wasted...

Darren Shan's The City Trilogy - He usually writes children's horror which i actually enjoy but this series is quite different.

&

Neil Ansell - Deep Country: Five Years in the Welsh Hills