IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

517uYaoQhqL._SS500_.jpg

Raised by deaf parents in a cellar in Rastrick, Yorkshire, as a baby Wilf' quickly learned that farting was better than crying for attracting their attention.Reared on 'potted nanny', 'marrowfat pea muffs' and 'corporation pop', and in fear of the Brook Street Gang - who pushed drinking straws up frog's bums to inflate them like balloons - Wilf' survived (whilst marvelling at the adhesive power of dried snot) to fulfil his childhood ambition of having a beard.

Guest viscosity

other stuff i read this summer that require deep analytic inspection and reference:

Lullaby

Next

Kite Runner

Fallen Angels

Prey

I'm starting The Bridegroom was a Dog by Yoko Tawada

The back cover says,

Once upon a time there was a little princess who was still too young to wipe herself after she went to the lavatory, and the woman assigned to look after her was too lazy to do it for her, so she used to call the princess's favorite black dog and say, 'if you lick her bottom clean, one day she'll be your bride,' and in time the princess herself began looking forward to the day....

This should be fun.

I'm starting The Bridegroom was a Dog by Yoko Tawada

The back cover says,

Once upon a time there was a little princess who was still too young to wipe herself after she went to the lavatory, and the woman assigned to look after her was too lazy to do it for her, so she used to call the princess's favorite black dog and say, 'if you lick her bottom clean, one day she'll be your bride,' and in time the princess herself began looking forward to the day....

This should be fun.

lol

Guest ezkerraldean

War of the World - Niall Ferguson

claims to be not just another narrative history of the 20th century, but a completely new interpretation of modern history. but i'm really not picking that up yet.

i suppose he does turn around the idea that WW1 was expected, and proves that its outbreak came to the suprise of most. although he goes on about stalin as if he's the first historian to ever consider him as bad as hitler

Guest badgermeat

I'm pleasantly surprised to see a book thread on WATMM, I love books! I'm currently reading Bertrand Russell's 'A History of Western Philosophy' and have just finished 'The Jokes's Over' by Ralph Steadman. If I'm lucky enough to get my own work published I'll let ye know...

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the second volume of 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. Good stuff, made me want to brush up on some classic English literature. Also, made me wonder how they fucked up the film adaptation so bad.

Guest zaphod

I'm pleasantly surprised to see a book thread on WATMM, I love books! I'm currently reading Bertrand Russell's 'A History of Western Philosophy' and have just finished 'The Jokes's Over' by Ralph Steadman. If I'm lucky enough to get my own work published I'll let ye know...

holy shit dude! you read too?! oh wow oh wow oh wow

Guest abusivegeorge

Currently reading: Anne Frank - Diary of a young girl. Mainly for sexual pleasure, but also because my sister left it here before venturing back home.

Currently reading: Anne Frank - Diary of a young girl. Mainly for sexual pleasure, but also because my sister left it here before venturing back home.

your "quite stickable" sister I might add.

Guest beatfanatic

still trying to finish Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

other stuff i read this summer that require deep analytic inspection and reference:

Lullaby

Next

Kite Runner

Fallen Angels

Prey

The Kite Runner movie is really good as well.

13 Things That Don't Make Sense - an alright, though blandly written collection of scientific/cosmic/psychological mysteries. It's like Da Vinci Code for nerds, nice casual reading but nothing amazing.

Guest beatfanatic

13 Things That Don't Make Sense - an alright, though blandly written collection of scientific/cosmic/psychological mysteries. It's like Da Vinci Code for nerds, nice casual reading but nothing amazing.

speaking of The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown has a new book out. has anyone read it??

Guest abusivegeorge

your "quite stickable" sister I might add.

OMG, I've just realised what you are!

Guest Franklin

currently reading:

1. Stumbling on happiness by Daniel Gilbert

2. The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less by Barry Schwartz

both are quite good so far

• 2 weeks later...