IGNORED

anyone here owns a xox box?

qnio

that site is cool but the 808 clone is 800 euro? thats basically the same price as a real 808 and it seems to have implemented zero new features.

yeah that's what I thought when I found out about these too. might as well buy a real one. I really like my MFB 522 though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I completed my x0x this morning at about 9:00 AM after an epic all-night session (probably took me around 20 hrs total - about half that time was thumbing through the dozens of little component pouches). This thing is totally sweet. I haven't had a chance to fool around with the sequencer since I don't have a front panel yet, but it really is a treat just noodling around with the 303 sound via MIDI. I haven't done a side-by-side with the 303 yet, but the dynamics of the x0x are definitely different from the original - maybe using a BA662A would sound more authentic but I'm not too concerned. And I still think the original sounds quite a bit warmer and bouncier with the resonance turned down than the x0x does, although that could just come down to how the filter is tuned. I plan on modding the living shit out of my x0x anyway, so comparisons with the original are kind of irrelevant.

If you are thinking of buying a x0xb0x, I would heartily recommend building it yourself rather than buying a pre-assembled unit. It's hella easy, you'll save money, and maybe even learn a thing or two, to boot. This was my first semi-major electronics project and everything went off without a hitch. Even soldering the surface mount USB chip wasn't too big a deal.. and, BOY, what a sense of accomplishment. My pride and confidence levels are at all time highs. Order your x0xb0x kit today!

Archived