IGNORED

anyone here owns a xox box?

qnio

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Laughable Butane Bob

They do a good job of it too... 25 bucks for a clean working chip on the board is worth it, especially when you are paying 350 for the kit.

Are they still doing the kits?

Guest Drahken

I got a quick question!

The parts list shows a bunch of 'rare' and 'UBER rare' parts. I'm assuming these came with the kits people got?

So my question is are these parts all essential? Some of them have references to alternatives but no real explanation on how to properly implement them.

I came to the conclusion that it was too much headache to do anything but buy the kit (which is also near impossible now!), and that getting all the parts was probably not possible given the rarity of some of them. Is that accurate?

Guest Laughable Butane Bob
I got a quick question!

The parts list shows a bunch of 'rare' and 'UBER rare' parts. I'm assuming these came with the kits people got?

So my question is are these parts all essential? Some of them have references to alternatives but no real explanation on how to properly implement them.

I came to the conclusion that it was too much headache to do anything but buy the kit (which is also near impossible now!), and that getting all the parts was probably not possible given the rarity of some of them. Is that accurate?

These parts are essential to the sound of the x0xb0x, they come with the kit. You don't have to hunt anything down yourself, because you won't be able to get just 1 of the chips, you have to buy them in lots.

• 1 year later...

I'm kind of looking into buying one of these as well (instead of an MFB Synth II). But most of them going second hand are modded, with the overdrive mod especially. I've read that the overdrive mod (there are probably several overdrive mods, I'm not sure) can't be bypassed properly and that it sort of fucks up the sound of the sawtoothwave or something like that, I've read that it affects the sound even when you haven't enabled it.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it still worth buying if it has got the mod?

Thanks for the reply. I absolutely haven't got knowledge about soldering and stuff like that :(

And do you know if the overdrive problem story is true by chance?

Cheers :beer:

Your best bet is to ask this question at the x0xb0x forum.

My bcbox mod x0xb0x is actually still languishing with my friend so I can't answer you...

:emotawesomepm9:

and as an aside, if you are wondering how '303' it sounds, just listen through my music. everything is done on x0xb0x.

Your best bet is to ask this question at the x0xb0x forum.

My bcbox mod x0xb0x is actually still languishing with my friend so I can't answer you...

:emotawesomepm9:

and as an aside, if you are wondering how '303' it sounds, just listen through my music. everything is done on x0xb0x.

wicked, will check it out then :) thanks

didn't even notice the forums link on the x0xb0x site :P there are loads of threads there, thanks again

monolog x uses an acid lab mk iii

really good acid, search his myspace out

http://www.myspace.com/monologx

it dont sound like a real 303 but it does sound like an amazing acid line

http://www.acidlab.de/

looks good too, looked it up now and see that it has a nice sequencer! they go for good prices second hand.

berk, how much?

I saw one go on a Dutch synth forum for about 300 euros, but that one was rather cheap I see now. They mostly go for about 400-450 euros I think.

that site is cool but the 808 clone is 800 euro? thats basically the same price as a real 808 and it seems to have implemented zero new features. i might consider investing in something like that if it had more controls like the Xbase units do with the 909 emulation.

Archived