IGNORED

Wisp - The Shimmering Hour

Yeah, I don't really see the similarities. I always thought Teddy Oggie sounded like Wisp.

I can assure you that Wisp is not The Tuss, if that is what you are implying.

I'm not implying that Wisp is The Tuss at all. There's so many little nuances and musical ideas between the Tuss and Wisp which sound similar like the snare rushes, occasional use of big reverb added to a snare, synth tones, melodies, the similarities are scattered all over the place. Use your ears!

My ears work just fine and get plenty of use. If you want to break it down into that level of detail, then many artists would have similarities. Pretty much every 80's track had reverb on the snare. Snare rushes are a staple of DnB. You can do the same thing with RDJ and people who preceded him. I see a lot of ideas used by RDJ that are evident in groups like 808 State. I don't call those similarities as much as I call it influence. To me, Wisp has a totally different feel from RDJ. He creates a realm that is more fantasy/rpg/broken memories whereas RDJ delves into more dark/strange/tense territories with some melancholy thrown in for good measure.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AOOproductions

The Wisp sounds like the Wisp and RDJ sounds like RDJ. It's just a coincidence that when Rephlex made the fake myspace page for The Tuss they happened to have picked a Wisp Track.

Guest Chris Martin
Let me tell ya something - I dig your work. Playing one side against the other, in bed with everybody - just fabulous stuff. ...

Look, just stay away from my cool Rephlex friends.

Hey, I'm not messing with your special Rephlex friends

Guest Kenneth172
Yeah, I don't really see the similarities. I always thought Teddy Oggie sounded like Wisp.

I can assure you that Wisp is not The Tuss, if that is what you are implying.

I'm not implying that Wisp is The Tuss at all. There's so many little nuances and musical ideas between the Tuss and Wisp which sound similar like the snare rushes, occasional use of big reverb added to a snare, synth tones, melodies, the similarities are scattered all over the place. Use your ears!

My ears work just fine and get plenty of use. If you want to break it down into that level of detail, then many artists would have similarities. Pretty much every 80's track had reverb on the snare. Snare rushes are a staple of DnB. You can do the same thing with RDJ and people who preceded him. I see a lot of ideas used by RDJ that are evident in groups like 808 State. I don't call those similarities as much as I call it influence. To me, Wisp has a totally different feel from RDJ. He creates a realm that is more fantasy/rpg/broken memories whereas RDJ delves into more dark/strange/tense territories with some melancholy thrown in for good measure.

I hear what you're saying but I stand by my viewpoint. I've listened to Aphex as long as anyone else. It struck me that there were distinct similarities between his work as The Tuss and Wisp's stuff. I think it's a bit extreme to say the two are totally different. You can't ignore the fact that people are on the same wavelength therefore similar ideas are bound to crop up. As I said before the snare rushes, big use of reverb added to a snare, the bits of melody. Wisp's style was close enough to the Tuss that a lot of people were fooled into thinking Teddy Oggie was by Aphex when it was put on Myspace. All I said was they sound similar, that's just my viewpoint and we're all entitled to our own opinion.

Yeah sure, Wisp has some Aphex qualities, but if you want to really really break it down...

The level of detail in The Tuss tracks greatly surpasses that in any Wisp track I've heard. You can hear RDJ's signature reverb techniques (which often include real room reverb), varying drum patterns to advance the track in a very particular fashion (manly heard on drukqs) , and superior synth programming. If The Tuss was anyone other than RDJ I would feel sorry for them because they must have studied his every move and very consciously attempted to sound like him.

I love Wisp, but I don't think The Tuss is his style or even in his skill range.

yeah wisp is closer to like late-90s SP or aphex than the tuss (i.e. late 00s aphex), and the quality isn't quite as high, for sure

*wipes forehead*

whew. I was a little worried that the voice of dissent wouldn't appear in this thread.

anyhow, sorry for the delay everyone. album will be out soon. and if you are in the UK, i will be playing some shows in mind June (13th @ Bangface, 19th in Nottingham, and 21st in Cornwall). Come see me if you can :D

AWESOME ill be at the nottingham gig. out of interest..whos booked you?

edit: to everyone who compares wisp to the tuss, biatch please..i cant even bare to pretend i like most of that shit, whereas "teddy oggie" is the best old style analogue "electronic music" track ive heard in donkeys. xxx

seriously if tuss wasnt on rephlex and the rdj rumours had never existed..people wouldnt even care.

Guest AOOproductions
Guest Kenneth172
AWESOME ill be at the nottingham gig. out of interest..whos booked you?

edit: to everyone who compares wisp to the tuss, biatch please..i cant even bare to pretend i like most of that shit, whereas "teddy oggie" is the best old style analogue "electronic music" track ive heard in donkeys. xxx

seriously if tuss wasnt on rephlex and the rdj rumours had never existed..people wouldnt even care.

So you're saying people wouldn't rate the Tuss then if they weren't linked with Rephlex / RDJ?

The Wisp sounds like the Wisp and RDJ sounds like RDJ. It's just a coincidence that when Rephlex made the fake myspace page for The Tuss they happened to have picked a Wisp Track.

lol, yes that myspace page was made by rephlex

Archived