IGNORED

Nature is idm

Guest Rambo

Guest umop_apisdn

floating mass of fire ants i found during a recent heavy rain event...they got flooded out, so they built a raft out of each other, complete with eggs.

3416434550_e487901338_o.jpg

and yes, i gotta give a shout out to some of my gecko friends. yes, AW, i am back in the hobby.

3415507775_ef6998438b_o.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That music overdub was hilariously perfect. You know what I'm sick of? Japanese videos that keep insets of other Japanese people watching the same thing and making dramatic expressions. It's as if Japan's already tight-ass culture needs to add one more thing to its canon by demonstrating suggested appropriate reactions.

Or do I have this totally wrong?

no you are pretty much right. i have to put up with this shit everyday. i almost never watch TV here except for a show called "rinkan". makes me laugh my fucking ass off.

for some reason it seems like yegg knows more about japan than me. how is this possible? i fucking live here!

floating mass of fire ants i found during a recent heavy rain event...they got flooded out, so they built a raft out of each other, complete with eggs.

holy crap, that's pretty surreal

i... i want to throw a stone in there

did you threw a stone in there?

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
tonguereplacementisopodzv8.jpg

Cymothoa exigua is a parasitic crustacean of the family Cymothoidae. It tends to be 3 to 4 cm long. This parasite attaches itself at the base of the spotted rose snapper's (Lutjanus guttatus) tongue, entering the fish's mouth through its gills. It then proceeds to extract blood through the claws on its front three pairs of legs. As the parasite grows, less and less blood reaches the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue by attaching its own body to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue, except that it has to share its food with the parasite. It appears that the parasite does not cause any other damage to the host fish.[1] Once C. exigua replaces the tongue, it supplements its diet with food particles, thereby relieving strain on the host's circulatory system. This is the only known case of a parasite functionally replacing a host organ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

i'll throw one. wiki whatever that fish has human fucking photoshop teeth.

Guest umop_apisdn

holy crap, that's pretty surreal

i... i want to throw a stone in there

did you threw a stone in there?

HA! Actually, where I was, if you find a stone, it's a Native American artifact. So I keep em when I find em.

But I threw the next closest thing in that particular ant raft. A pine cone. I have photos, but they're on my other computer.

shit, well i guess i can't edit it in. so i'll double post instead.

3451869012_249330551f_o.jpg

lol

almost looks like you took a dump in it

most IDM thing of 2010

Taking A Dump On A Floating Mass Of Fire Ants

Guest fiznuthian

i saw this on the news and it really weirded me out...

WOW, what the fuck nature?

my new favorite marine creature...

Guest fiznuthian

oh and along the same lines of fancy pants sea creatures, i was reading on slashdot long ago in the comments box of an article related to octopus intelligence. a commenter claimed to having worked in a research lab that housed an octopus in a room with a locked door, it's tank being covered by a heavy vented grate and held closed by a large rock they placed on the very top. whoever had closed the door and locked it that night had also left a box of goldfish crackers across the room on a table. when his coworkers arrived to the lab the next morning they found the octopus in it's cage, the grate back on top of the cage, and the rock back on top of the grate. the crackers were somehow knocked over, and what few of them that were left that night were all missing. noone had been there all night, so...

along the same lines i've read stories about octopuses untying complex rope/string knots to get out of their tanks.

crazy fuckers, i'd never trust one in my home.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
oh and along the same lines of fancy pants sea creatures, i was reading on slashdot long ago in the comments box of an article related to octopus intelligence. a commenter claimed to having worked in a research lab that housed an octopus in a room with a locked door, it's tank being covered by a heavy vented grate and held closed by a large rock they placed on the very top. whoever had closed the door and locked it that night had also left a box of goldfish crackers across the room on a table. when his coworkers arrived to the lab the next morning they found the octopus in it's cage, the grate back on top of the cage, and the rock back on top of the grate. the crackers were somehow knocked over, and what few of them that were left that night were all missing. noone had been there all night, so...

along the same lines i've read stories about octopuses untying complex rope/string knots to get out of their tanks.

crazy fuckers, i'd never trust one in my home.

all those smarts are inborne too. they live but a few years. i saw a doc that had a brand of octopi which walked around the shoals at low tide. it did hunt on the land (not for long obviously). some small version. the COOLEST thing though was when it spotted a crab r something it did the "cat waggle" before it lurched-pounced. one of the greatest nature things besides the crab migrations of Christmas Island.

Guest umop_apisdn
shit, well i guess i can't edit it in. so i'll double post instead.

3451869012_249330551f_o.jpg

lol

almost looks like you took a dump in it

most IDM thing of 2010

Taking A Dump On A Floating Mass Of Fire Ants

i would do it, but i'm afraid of the potential of splashback.

the loris's bite is toxic! The loris secretes a foul smelling toxin from its elbows which it licks and then delivers with a bite. Having the canine teeth removed doesn't prevent a toxic bite, because the venom is delivered by the smaller teeth which are specially curved for this purpose

Archived