IGNORED

animal collective - merriweather post pavilion

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

yeah glass plate you're coming across all wrong. there is so much bad hiphop out there made by people inspired by madlib and them lot. i'm sure these ac alike bands suck but maybe a few will come out the other side with something completely original. haven't we always had to ignore the shit?

on first listen the tracks i knew they did a great job of recording and yes the bass is great. the tracks i hadnt heard will need more listens.

Guest Glass Plate
yeah glass plate you're coming across all wrong. there is so much bad hiphop out there made by people inspired by madlib and them lot. i'm sure these ac alike bands suck but maybe a few will come out the other side with something completely original. haven't we always had to ignore the shit?

When people are making bad hip-hop it's not like "god damn they just wish they were THIS EXACT BAND"

Every single one of the bands I see are trying to be this ONE exact band.

Sometimes I hate The Beatles because now it seems I see every douchebag out there walking around with a guitar. Real original, guys.

beatles invented guitar music

Guest Glass Plate
I was inpsired my Four Tet/J Dilla/Madlib to get mine.

heh but there's probably even more people doing bad non-quantised hip hop because of those three people than there are copying animal collective. don't get me wrong - i don't the fuss at all about AC. it's just nothing music to me.

it's like anything though: aphex fans wanting 303s, autechre fans wanting nords and machinedrums, MBV fans wanting to know exactly what cheap digital reverse reverb pedal kevin shields used, stevie ray vaughn fans wanting garish white stratocasters....

at least with samplers it's a matter of garbage in garbage out... slight things because of the interface and effects aside, they don't really contribute to a specific 'sound' to anything. it's just a blank canvas tool you can use in any way you want.

I was almost with you until you said aphex fans using 303's. That's stupid shit to say.

These people directly copy of directly 1 act though, and use the samplers in the exact same methods. Hip-Hop had sampling before boss samplers even existed.

i've never listened to this band before. i've never listened to deerhunter or any other of these fad bands.

i've not heard this album, but this ridiculous thread has inspired me to download the album, listen to it like i would any other album i listen to, and i will report back to you on my findings.

see you later, thread.

i think mentioning deerhunter in the animal collective thread is highly distasteful.

also animal collective have been around for a long time and have produced more work of quality than anyone on the artist list for this website.

animal collective have produced more work of quality than anyone on the artist list for this website.

that's where you're WRONG!

also animal collective have been around for a long time and have produced more work of quality than anyone on the artist list for this website.

ok thats perhaps not true but lets just say they are more interesting to me these days than any of the artists of watmm. they're the only band pushing what pop music can be.

i've never listened to this band before. i've never listened to deerhunter or any other of these fad bands.

i've not heard this album, but this ridiculous thread has inspired me to download the album, listen to it like i would any other album i listen to, and i will report back to you on my findings.

see you later, thread.

awesome

Guest Synthacat 9

lol @ page 5

well I've given this album a few decent listens (only one proper one) and so far I like it a lot. I've always liked Person Pitch most out of all AC related works, so this album was nice to my ears because it had a lot more Panda Bear presence throughout compared to Strawberry Jam (or anything else for that matter). So far I like where they're going.

Guest Glass Plate

ieafs, I didn't even say I hate them. I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions. I'm not even trying to debate something, I'm more so pointing out my personal Animal Collective related experience, and saying I can't help but think about it when listening to them. Really though more-so their older stuff than this album. This album is pretty great.

also, I didn't do it to copy four tet, and four tet was the smallest influence is about a really good tool for sampling that was inexpensive and somewhat versatile. I was inpsired by the entire notion of sampling via. hip-hop/electronic etc, and wanted to apply that to my music via hardware rather than software, because the different interfaces bring different sounds/styles.

I stress again though, I feel people are reading me as being more hostile than I really am.

So far I like where they're going.

i don't think you can assume where ac is going to go next

i spend about an hour writing a really decent review of this album and somehow it got deleted. it was called "K.I.S.S: Keep It Simply Stupid"

i know you guys like this album so much and that's great. you have your own strong opinions on it, and i have different feelings about.

on one hand, I can see how this band is even a talking point among New Music Hipsters and nu-lo-fi lag-rock aficionados.

but for me, i expect just a little bit more from a band of more than one person than depressingly cute indie Beach Boys vocals over stoned cassette jam sessions. there is just too much good music out there that has already been released for me to add to the attention this trash is receiving. it deserves nothing more than its destiny as an album from a band no one will give a shit about in 2 years. and even then, that's a better fate than most of the bands releasing this cheap music today are receiving.

you've genuinely piqued my interested and boy is this a letdown. but i'm sure you won't let my opinion sway your own feelings about this album or this band.

i knew i wasnt going to like this band. i gave it one brief half listen whilst eating a dominos sandwich and i was right.

yeah thanks theo. come again

Archived