IGNORED

REASON 4 THREAD

YEK

i had a good idea, for the next reason you should be able to remove synths/samplers/whatever that you don't use in the preferences so when you're making a track you don't have to look around the things you don't use. kinda like how you can remove vsts.. eh?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also, if you could switch to a minimal design of a synth or other module, so rather than seeing the fancy looks with graphics and the name it would really just be knobs and sliders on a very clean one color background

Guest thingfish
WTF did they do with the sequencer/piano roll?! It tries to put each take in separate regions or boxes, so you can't edit them all at once, you have to click between different phrases in the same track!?! i hate it i hate it i hate it. why did they have to complicate everything?!

I agree. The addition of piano roll regions have been a pain in the ass.. I'm getting used to it but it's definitely unnecessary. Propellerheads seem to put more focus on catering to their loop-based customer base .. to an extent..

i asked on the reason board how to cut mids since there isn't a mid eq on any of the mixers and i got this:

"if you route your audio through the vocoder device (set in eq mode), you can cut various frequencies with the bands shown.

alternatively, you can first route your audio through an audio splitter, then to each output of the splitter add a vocoder (again in eq mode), one of these could be set to pass just bass freq's, another just mid and another just high freq's then finally you could mix them all back together in a basic mixer and treat them as if they were one signal again, however, you could assign the mute switches to buttons on the front of your combinator, giving you dj style control of the seperate bands.

also, you can add anything you like to each chain, so you could have say the midrange pass through clear but with some distortion to the lower end and chorus on the top.

if you could be bothered you can split these up even more using the same method, though you would be limited to 4 buttons in any one combinator for controlling the frequency bands. also, you can't nest a combinator within a combinator so you would have to split the signal into different combinators should you wish to take it that far.

anyway, just keep playing with it. there's a lot of possibilities."

very helpful

Guest Helper ET
Alzado is on the money with the Combinator, it's essential. It means you can hook any LFO or envelope generator up to any controller. A Malstrom suddenly becomes your best friend without having to make a single sound, and it's trivial to have, for example, an LFO controlling the speed of another LFO. Then have another LFO controlling the depth of the second LFO and put one of Malstrom's fancy envelopes in control of the speed of the third LFO. And why stop there? Why stop anywhere? It's monstrous.

go get em champ

Reason 4's great. I mostly use it for the bass, the organs/mellotron/other almost-real sounding instruments, and creating/tweaking the occassional drum loop. I don't use it's synthy synth sounds all that much, but there's definitely tons you could do with them too. I tend to do most of my work in a multitracker like Acid or Cubase, using programs like Reason for extra stuff when I need it.

I've been with Reason since 2.5

3 was a very good update, the Combinator was brilliant and the m-class stuff was pretty handy

4 was good for Thor, and the Groove thing is OK. Havent really used the Arp

The sequencer changes in 4 for me were very annoying (trying to compare the clip you are editing to the other ones near it that are greyed out is very difficult), but I am sortof adjusting.

And now I am realising that the most important feature of a sequencer, for me, is being able to stack sequencer tracks on the screen to compare the notes visually, and Reason never could do that anyway. So I'm experimenting with rewire from Reaper and thinking about buying a low-end Cubase edition.

Reason is pretty resource efficient compared to some other DAWs it seems, so I'm interested in sticking a copy on a Eee PC

Guest Ministry of Undos
i have no idea how to create combinator patches but i'll probably figure it out

The important thing is that the knobs on the Combinator are freely assignable to any control on any of the machines inside the combinator, and those knobs have their own CV inputs "round back". So every controller now has CV control. That's the beauty of the Combinator for me, I'm not really fussed about stacking sounds.

One thing that is pissing me off with reason immensely at the moment is that there is no dedicated hi-pass filter unit. I mean how difficult is it to see that low pass and band pass just aren't suitable for every fucking situation.

Guest blicero
One thing that is pissing me off with reason immensely at the moment is that there is no dedicated hi-pass filter unit. I mean how difficult is it to see that low pass and band pass just aren't suitable for every fucking situation.

what? every device i can think of has HP, BP, LP, LP2, and Notch... plus there is the EQ, Vocoder in EQ mode, and the old Reason parametric eq, which could be set to do a HP with a shelf.

i asked on the reason board how to cut mids since there isn't a mid eq on any of the mixers and i got this:

"if you route your audio through the vocoder device (set in eq mode), you can cut various frequencies with the bands shown.

alternatively, you can first route your audio through an audio splitter, then to each output of the splitter add a vocoder (again in eq mode), one of these could be set to pass just bass freq's, another just mid and another just high freq's then finally you could mix them all back together in a basic mixer and treat them as if they were one signal again, however, you could assign the mute switches to buttons on the front of your combinator, giving you dj style control of the seperate bands.

also, you can add anything you like to each chain, so you could have say the midrange pass through clear but with some distortion to the lower end and chorus on the top.

if you could be bothered you can split these up even more using the same method, though you would be limited to 4 buttons in any one combinator for controlling the frequency bands. also, you can't nest a combinator within a combinator so you would have to split the signal into different combinators should you wish to take it that far.

anyway, just keep playing with it. there's a lot of possibilities."

very helpful

as people have said, you can just use the parametric EQ or the M-class EQ device to cut/boost mids

But I think that answer on the Reason board is talking about something more specific - how to cut a precise chunk of frequencies out of the sound with no slope either side (e.g. cut out everything below X hz and everything above Y hz). .... For that you need to do the vocoder EQ trick as they describe.

what? every device i can think of has HP, BP, LP, LP2, and Notch... plus there is the EQ, Vocoder in EQ mode, and the old Reason parametric eq, which could be set to do a HP with a shelf.

Yes i know all of that. But there also a standalone BP/LP filter as well. Which is useful but i would also like to have a high pass version. From my standpoint it would make things a lot better for me.

But I think that answer on the Reason board is talking about something more specific - how to cut a precise chunk of frequencies out of the sound with no slope either side (e.g. cut out everything below X hz and everything above Y hz). .... For that you need to do the vocoder EQ trick as they describe.

that's exactly right

Yes i know all of that. But there also a standalone BP/LP filter as well. Which is useful but i would also like to have a high pass version. From my standpoint it would make things a lot better for me.

what difference does it make? either way, you're creating a device and patching cables through. why would it matter if that device is a synth with resident filters or dedicated filter device?

what difference does it make? either way, you're creating a device and patching cables through. why would it matter if that device is a synth with resident filters or dedicated filter device?

It's a fucking pain in the arse to have to export a sound, create a sampler, import the sound get the levels oof the sample to fit with the track then do the high pass. One dedicated unit or an update to the existing one would all the difference as far as I am concerned.

you don't have to export anything.

just create malstrom and route the output of your source into the filter inputs on the back of the malstrom device. you're using it just like you would an effects device. no difference.

like so:

reason2malstrom.l.jpg

I almost pressed tab to see the other side of the rack. That is a way of doing it. I still stand by what I said. It would be nicer to have a smaller device that does what it says on the tin.

why? it functions exactly the same way. in fact, it's better because the Thor and Malstrom, for example, have different functions and options on their filter modules, giving you more ways to do things

Archived